DodgeTalk Forum banner

Urban city New truck buyer - which V-8 to get?

• 4.7 Liter

Votes: 93 21.4%
  • 5.7 Liter HEMI

Votes: 341 78.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which one - 4.7L or 5.7L Hemi?

65K views 179 replies 83 participants last post by  (fast_hemi) 
#1 ·
As a likely future new Dodge pickup owner, I am deciding on which V-8 to buy. My driving will be mostly highways and in town, with zero trailering. Occasional loads in the pickup bed, but nothing crazy.

Some tell me get the smaller V-8, some say get the Hemi. What do you guys think? (Gas mileage is about the same...)

#54 ·
ceri said:
I've owned both with somewhat comparable setups.

'02 2wd QC SB 3.55 gears 4.7L 17" rims - only performance mod was catback exhaust

'04 2wd QC SB 3.92 gears 5.7L 20" rims - no performance mods (yet!)

The gear ratio makes up the difference in rim size (or pretty close anyway), and I'm honestly getting almost identical gas mileage out of the hemi. My driving habits changed to suit the engines power which might make the difference. The 4.7 has enough power for the truck, but I like to be in front of the pack after a stop light, so getting it up around 3k-3.5k RPMs wasn't uncommon until I got to the speed limit.

The hemi I drive similiar, however I don't have to get it up to 3k RPMs to do so. The biggest difference I notice is as WOT. The 4.7 had a decent "seat of the pants" feel to it, but my shoulders weren't dug into the seat. The 5.7 literally pushes me back when I floor it, only letting up to let the tranny shift.

The hemi is way to quiet right now, but judging the "feel" of each, I'm much happier with the hemi. I don't do any towing, and rarely do anything more than help move furniture with the bed (or golf clubs), but from what everyone says, the hemi handles that better.

The peddle on the 4.7 seemed more responsive, but that may just be a difference from an '02 to an '04.
The 3.55 gears really do make the 4.7L feel under powered, and in most cases the 17" rims and 20" rim share the same tire hight... both in the ball park of 31.5" tall... And the 3.55's where more than likely to blame for the poor fuel economey with your 4.7L... Also your 2002 4.7L had the 45RFE with a .75 overdrive while your HEMI has a 545RFE with the dual .75/.67 overdrive... so honestly your HEMI had the advantage for both mechanical advantage with 3.92's and a better overdrive... these both worked in favor of your HEMI.

The 2002 4.7L does feel to have more power then the later year 4.7L's... Im not sure why but mine has always run strong.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#55 ·
06Ram4364 said:
FreeLantz said:
I love my 5.7-liter, but for you, I voted 4.7-liter. Here's why.

You are correct in your assumption that the two motors will get about the same fuel economy in the city. Marginally speaking, the 5.7-liter might do a little better, actually. But if that were the only cost factor, it would be an easy choice. The 5.7-liter engine is a $1000 upgrade (roughly) and the transmission that goes with it is almost as much. So your Hemi truck will be roughly $2000 more than a 4.7-liter truck with the same equipment
QUOTE]

I don't agree...the hemi will NOT get better gas mileage, I dont care what anyone says. This guy also stated in the above quote that the transmissions are different.
Currently I own a 4.7-liter Dakota and a 5.7-liter Ram. The Ram gets better fuel economy both in town and on the highway. In fact, the Ram almost always gets better fuel economy in town than the Dak gets on the highway.

My Ram is an '07 and has MDS. That does make a difference. I feel pretty certain my '07 gets a lot better fuel economy than, say, a comparable Ram with the non-MDS Hemi would have. So if we were comparing that truck to a 4.7 Ram, you would be right on the money.

Remember "actual results may vary". Saying you "don't care what anyone says" negates any other point you made, even if you might be right in some cases.;)

As for gears making a big difference, I am not sold on that idea either. My Dak has 3.92's and so does my Ram. My '02 Ram 1500 with the gas guzzlin' 360 had 3.55's and even it was more fuel efficient than my Dakota is.:crazy:

#56 ·
FreeLantz said:
As for gears making a big difference, I am not sold on that idea either. My Dak has 3.92's and so does my Ram. My '02 Ram 1500 with the gas guzzlin' 360 had 3.55's and even it was more fuel efficient than my Dakota is.:crazy:
That is wierd about the dak.....BTW- I thought your ram had 3.55's.
Or did you swap gears?

#57 ·
Had a 4.7 in an 02, it did what I needed.
Currently have a 06 with a 5.7, it does what I need it too and then some.

Gas milage about the same, but I'd go 5.7, power when you need it and always think about resale (not that you'd get rid of your dodge, only in case of upgrade)

#58 ·
Oh yeah, as far as maintenance costs go, that's out the window with the new 4.7!! Welcome to the 16 Plug Club!! :D

#62 ·
ckne said:
Had a 4.7 in an 02, it did what I needed.
Currently have a 06 with a 5.7, it does what I need it too and then some.

Gas milage about the same, but I'd go 5.7, power when you need it and always think about resale (not that you'd get rid of your dodge, only in case of upgrade)
Gas mileage not about the same :eek:

#63 ·
Shots said:
Really?!?! 16 plugs in the 4.7L now too? I wonder why, if the HP/TQ didn't go up, and the mileage didn't go up, what's the point?
The new 4.7 is supposed to be pushing 290 HP/300+ torque. HP went up significantly

#64 ·
06Ram4364 said:
Still I know many hemi owners as well, and all of them get shitty gas mileage. So please all of you hemi owners that are getting 17 miles per gallon, please tell me your secret so I can share it with my pals who would love it. Hemimagnum I didn't know that the Hemi got BETTER gas mileage than the 4.7, that being said, I still don't believe it
My last trip to Ga. I got 17.4 MPG (according to the trip computer which was reset when I got gas 1/4 mile from getting underway) out of my '04 non-MDS Hemi which is HEAVILY modded and much heavier than stock. Cruise set to about 76 most of the way. This was also with a 700lb. ATV in the bed.
City mileage is not near as good, usually around 13.5.
My buddy down the street has a '06 Hemi 4x2 which is mostly stock ( K&N drop-in, Flowmaster 40 & 180 thermostat ) and he is getting upper 15 to 16 mpg city and between 21 & 22 on the Interstates. My Uncle in GA. gets about the same mileage with his '04 4.7 4x4 as my buddy down the street gets with his MDS Hemi 4x2.

#65 ·
06Ram4364 said:
The new 4.7 is supposed to be pushing 290 HP/300+ torque. HP went up significantly
Exactly, all the numbers went up but I've only seen the listing for the Dak (290 hp/320tq) and the Jeep Grand (305 hp/334 tq) They increased the compression ratio, improved port flow, and a new "combustion" system that added the two plugs.

And by the way, this is one Hemi owner who doesn't believe I get the same or better mpg then a 4.7, sorry, but that's crap. I also would still choose the Hemi because if mpg mattered, I wouldn't have bought a Dodge in the first place. I'm sorry but I just don't feel the 4.7 is a big enough engine for anyone who plans on really using a truck. I know, I know, you'll all come back with what you towed or what you hauled etc. I don't want to hear that, the numbers are posted and legit. It's like the mpg thing, I don't believe I can get better mileage and I don't believe you can haul what I can. Simple and fair, no?

#66 ·
I didn't say anything about the 4.7 out hauling the 5.7, thats understandable. But as far as holding its own, well yes it can, and yes its plenty big enough for a truck. Its a stout motor that has alot of potential. No its not as quick as the hemi, and yes it does get better gas mileage than the hemi, as i've compared many times with the hemi.
So yes you can haul with ease what I find difficult, and yes I get better gas mileage.

#68 ·
stickshiftsrule said:
That is wierd about the dak.....BTW- I thought your ram had 3.55's.
Or did you swap gears?
You are correct sir. Doing what I do for a living and getting in and out of so many trucks, day-in day-out -- sometimes these details get a little foggy in my mind. My '07 Ram does have 3.55's. Would you believe after I saw this post, I had to go check because I did not remember? :eek: The Dak does have 3.92's, of that I'm certain because with the H.O. they do not come any other way.

#70 ·
duso02 said:
........It's like the mpg thing, I don't believe I can get better mileage and I don't believe you can haul what I can. Simple and fair, no?
I have to agree with 06Ram4364. I don't think anyone ever claimed the 4.7L would out tow a 5.7L. If they did, they're on crack. The claim with towing is that the 4.7L can handle any load that a 1500 is rated to pull/carry. I don't doubt for a minute that the 5.7L would do it easier, and I can't imagine anyone would make a claim to the contrary. The only point to be made though, is that it's a 1500, and the truck will limit out before the 4.7L does. Now that's not to say you can't exceed the rating of the truck, at which point the 5.7L will keep pulling well after the 4.7L stops. That's why the 5.7L is available in the 2500, and the 4.7L isn't.

I'd say your last sentence is dead on accurate. You can haul more, and I get better mileage. It's very simple, and very fair, I couldn't agree more.

#71 ·
Shots said:
I have to agree with 06Ram4364. I don't think anyone ever claimed the 4.7L would out tow a 5.7L. If they did, they're on crack. The claim with towing is that the 4.7L can handle any load that a 1500 is rated to pull/carry. I don't doubt for a minute that the 5.7L would do it easier, and I can't imagine anyone would make a claim to the contrary. The only point to be made though, is that it's a 1500, and the truck will limit out before the 4.7L does. Now that's not to say you can't exceed the rating of the truck, at which point the 5.7L will keep pulling well after the 4.7L stops. That's why the 5.7L is available in the 2500, and the 4.7L isn't.

I'd say your last sentence is dead on accurate. You can haul more, and I get better mileage. It's very simple, and very fair, I couldn't agree more.
You guys gotta stop taking everything as an accusation/argument!! I never said you or anyone else made any claims to the contrary about hauling capabilities!! Those were just my original statements not responses to anything you said. Sorry, but I'm not taking the bait. I, for one see no reason to defend either choice, because they are both fine. It comes down to what you want it for, then pick the best option to do that. There is no #1 choice, just options. Here's a good way to do this: Start a poll on who would get the other engine if they could go back in time and buy their truck again, knowing everything they know now.

#72 ·
Wooooaaahhh.... Easy man.
Talk about taking things as an accusation/argument. If you re-read my post, you'll see I was AGREEING with you. There was no bait to take, it wasn't loaded. To be honest it wasn't really "defending" either choice. I simply said the 4.7L can handle what the TRUCK can, but also said the 5.7L will do it BETTER. So which one is that defending? I would almost take it as an argument for the 5.7L. Let's not take things personal here.
Again, I am AGREEING with you, and I'll say....
They are both great choices.

Peace bro. :D

#73 ·
Uh Shots? Both you and 06RAM started by saying, "I didn't say that! Nobody made that claim!" That's my point, you could have just said, "I agree". I said you were defending something you said that I never accused you of saying in the first place. I just wanted to make sure you understand that I'm not trying to accuse you of making any false statements. We're peaceful, I'm just trying to make sure we stay that way!

#74 ·
duso02 said:
Uh Shots? Both you and 06RAM started by saying, "I didn't say that! Nobody made that claim!" That's my point, you could have just said, "I agree"..........
Ok fair enough.

The reason for me saying nobody made that claim is because you said... "It's like the mpg thing, I don't believe I can get better mileage and I don't believe you can haul what I can". Because you said that, I thought you misinterpreted someone's post, and you thought they said that they can. I guess it's me who was misinterpreting posts, so I apologize. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, and on a side note. I think there already is a poll about switching if you could do it over again. If I remember correctly, the results were what I'm sure you would expect.... most people are happy with what they've got. I think that's a real testament to both engines.

#75 ·
06Ram4364
On mine hemi I get between 17 to 18 mpg.It is a 2wd w/ tow package and if I go on a long run I have gotten as high as 20 mpg.

#76 ·
Ya duso no harm intended. Mojo man thats great to hear, but overall the 4.7 can get the best gas mileage overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.