Engine/Motor Mounts - Need Info - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 09-26-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
GregGleason
2005 Durango SLT 4.7L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Engine/Motor Mounts - Need Info

I have a rattling in the front end of my '05 D with 190K miles. I have pretty much eliminated all of the potential noise sources with the exception of the engine mounts. I have a few questions regarding changing them. 1) From what I understand there is a left and right engine mount and a transmission mount, so if someone could correct that information if it is wrong. 2) Does anyone have a picture of them and/or where they are? 3) Does someone have a stepwise "how to" list to change them? For example, do you need to jack the engine up a bit to change them out, etc. 4) Do I need to get OEMs or is aftermarket ok to use? If someone has an aftermarket vendor they liked then please let me know. 5) Do I need to do them all at the same time or one per weekend fine 6) Is there a check to confirm that they are bad before swapping them out? 7) Any other "need to knows"?

Any answers are fine with me, even one word answers.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUV.Dodge.2016-02-13.jpg (770.6 KB, 1 views)

2005 Durango SLT 4.7L
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2019, 08:51 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
It would help to know when and how this "rattle" occurs.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
GregGleason
2005 Durango SLT 4.7L

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonearth View Post
It would help to know when and how this "rattle" occurs.
It's more of a bumping sound, and it occurs any time the vehicle is moving but never when the vehicle is stopped. I sometimes here a more pronounced bump (not a click) when putting it in gear. I really don't feel it in the steering wheel at any speed.

I noticed it the most over roads with an uneven surface at residential speeds or lower. It sounds like something heavy is loose.

Do you have experience in changing out these engine mounts?

Greg

2005 Durango SLT 4.7L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Ray Bell

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Have a look for exhaust pipes close to bodywork or other components.

To check engine mounts see if you can safely jack the engine a little. Don't let the jack dent the pan, put some wood across it so it won't.

If the mounts are bad it usually means they are separating, the rubber is coming away from the steel pads. You should be able to see that.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 10:24 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
If you really believe it's an engine mount, it should be easy to spot. Get under the vehicle with a pry bar, and pry on the engine part of the mount. If the rubber is severed (or missing), and the inner component is rapping against or sitting on the outer component, it should be obvious. I'm still skeptical this is the problem, because engine mount failures are not typical problem with these vehicles. Modern engine mounts are failsafe, the engine/transaxle can not get loose from the mount retainer, only rattle against it, and this is not common. I'd be more suspicious that there's a loose or broken exhaust pipe or hanger.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-09-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
GregGleason
2005 Durango SLT 4.7L

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Have a look for exhaust pipes close to bodywork or other components.

To check engine mounts see if you can safely jack the engine a little. Don't let the jack dent the pan, put some wood across it so it won't.

If the mounts are bad it usually means they are separating, the rubber is coming away from the steel pads. You should be able to see that.
Thanks Ray Bell.

I will raise it up and check. The key thing is understanding what I am looking at and it sounds like it will be obvious if it is bad.

Greg

2005 Durango SLT 4.7L
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
GregGleason
2005 Durango SLT 4.7L

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonearth View Post
If you really believe it's an engine mount, it should be easy to spot. Get under the vehicle with a pry bar, and pry on the engine part of the mount. If the rubber is severed (or missing), and the inner component is rapping against or sitting on the outer component, it should be obvious. I'm still skeptical this is the problem, because engine mount failures are not typical problem with these vehicles. Modern engine mounts are failsafe, the engine/transaxle can not get loose from the mount retainer, only rattle against it, and this is not common. I'd be more suspicious that there's a loose or broken exhaust pipe or hanger.
Thanks guyonearth.

Hmmmm ... you got me thinking. Well I will check it and see what condition the mounts are in. If it is not the engine mounts then I will check the exhaust system near the front. I was able to find the loose bracket when I heard some racket coming from rear of the vehicle and fix it. This is a heavier thud, like something substantial hitting the frame. I almost wish I could shrink someone down into the engine department to listen and see where these noises may be coming from. But wishing is for kids so I'll see what I can see when I take another look underneath.

Greg

2005 Durango SLT 4.7L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in