DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which Leaf to Remove

1K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  hemi22xx 
#1 ·
I am pulling a leaf spring tomorrow to get the truck level after installing the shackles. I was wondering which spring to pull and if you guys have any pics with the leaf pull and shackles. Thanks guys!! You all are awesome with advice.

#5 ·
I thought about the overload but then I still want to be able to tow a little bit. I talked to someone today that said to pull the middle leaf. It should give it a 2 inch drop after it is removed. Does anyone know of a thread where it has instructions to do this? I've done an add a leaf on an Explorer but never on my truck.

#7 ·
2" drop shackles probably gave him about 1.5" to 1.75" of total drop. I had 1.5" drop shackles and got just under 1.25" of drop

#8 ·
It gave me about 1.5 inches. I want need to get at least 2 more inches to be level. I measured it earlier today and found that it needs about an 2.2 inches more to be level.

#10 ·
supposedly 2" drop shackles and overload removal pretty much make you level. I know you still want to tow......you could always add airbags

#11 ·
What if I put factory back on and then remove the middle leaf?

#12 ·
thats what I had was factory and middle leaf, but honestly you would be better off to remove the overload if you are worried about towing or hauling. I think the middle leaf would have more effect on that than the overload would. I was always told the overload is there simply for that, when the truck is overloaded it adds some support. So don't go beyond your capacity and you will be just fine. With my middle leaf removed I carried 25 bags of mulch and I was riding on the bumpstops in the rear.

#13 ·
which leaf would someone remove if they just wanted a coushy f150 like ride?

#15 ·
Okay. Then overload it is in the morning. Should make the job quicker. Just remove the pack and then remove the eye bolt and it'll be done. Can I still run stock shocks? I'm in need of new ones as it is but I'm going to have to order them due to the fact that the speed shop here sucks. BTW, I have 103,000 miles on factory shocks. I think it's time.

#17 ·
Well the overload is removed and pics will be up tomorrow once I clean her up. Thanks guys!!

#19 ·
It seems softer on the back end. I do need new shocks though. They have 103,000 miles on them.

#20 ·
I don't mean to hijack but think this is well on topic. If your rearranging leafs, etc, should you get your alignment checked after? Need to pull the rear apart to replace centering pins (was in a rush installing lift in the fall, and one on each side was stripped and couldn't tighten). Or should it be ok?

#21 ·
i'd love to soften my ride up. we just gotta take out the top leaf?

#23 ·
No. Pull the overload. You can leave the leaf spring attached to the frame but it makes it a little harder. We did it with out the tires on the truck on the back end so we were able to move the rear end around a little easier. The overload is the only spring on the rear that is in a different direction than the rest of the pack.

#24 ·
If you pull the middle leaf your gonna need new shocks. There are write ups on this in the Sport Truck forum if you search. Gives you pointers and everything.

#25 ·
lets see some pics. wann see what it looks liek so i can do it to.

#26 ·
Here is a picture from today. Still needs to be washed.

Attachments

#28 ·
I have my middle pulled, overload pulled and drop shackles. I have toxix drop shocks all the way around with about a inch and a half cut of the front coils! Talk about a cheap drop. And ys for the record it rides like shit. I just did this to mess around before i get a real drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.