DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Towing for 1st time, few Q's

1K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  The Wanderer 
#1 ·
So i am going to be towing a 1000lb trailer with 100lb tongue weight if that matters with my 2004 5.7 short bed, reg cab, 4wd.
I'm going 1800 miles.

some one told me for long trips over 70mph that dodge or tire manuf recommend increasing tire pressure 5 or 10 psi (he forgot which)

Also should i use tow mod? for that lil weight?

thanks for any help.

bull

#2 ·
You won't really need to do much. Tire pressure is a good idea. Cross the chains at the hitch and make sure all lights are working. If you have tow mirrors, now you can use them :)

#4 ·
I towed a trailer about the same weight with some 4 wheelers loaded on it with my RC 2wd every weekend, you wont feel it back there at all. Just watch out changing lanes in front of cars. When i pulled my trailer the first few times id catch myself wanting to get over and not remember i had another 15 ft behind me.

#5 ·
yeah, you wont even feel that one back there! I only use my tow/haul if there is excessive shifting on lighter trailers.

#6 ·
ya i almost forgot and went around a corner.... take a lil longer to stop.

its a tear drop trailer...

any ideas on tired pressure for long term high speed driving?

thx
bull

#7 ·
I tow a 3k trailer 5 days a week. I 2X everything these guys said. Be careful on wet or curvy roads. If you're not comfortable backing up with a trailer in tow here's the rule. Grab the steering wheel at the bottom. Which ever way you want the trailer to go, turn the wheel that way from the bottom. In other words, trailer right, turn counter-clockwise. Left, clockwise. Be careful not to jack knife it when doing that. Good luck man.

#10 ·
Yea backing up is a good point. It just takes doin' it to catch on then your golden. I dont know that tire pressure is such a big issue towing or not?? I never changed my pressure :dunno:

#11 ·
I wouldn't do anything extreme with your tires for that much weight. Just make sure they are all equal, or matching ex. (35psi in front 40psi in the rear)

#13 ·
You won't notice that towing. Agree w/ everyone's comments.

#14 ·
Once you are backing up (moving) try to have your truck follow the trailer. Not sure if I am describing correctly but that always help me. If it is a short trailer just unhitch and push around. I can not back a small trailer for the life of me.

#15 ·
Always remember that the trailer is there when you stop for something, like gas food etc. I always park farther out than most people do. That way idiots won't park in your way. You should probably get a little practice in backing it up some plce where there isn't an obsticles. And like the other guys said you won't even know it's back there. I also don't adjust my tire pressure either.

#16 ·
small trailers are tricky, for the most part, once you see it and you want to correct to prevent it from jackknifing, its to late! If you are going to have to do any backing, take it to a parking lot at practice a bit. Another thing Ive seen a lot of is people that start focusing on the whole backing part and forget that their front end is swinging all over and hit something, so dont forget about the front of the truck too ;)

#17 ·
Good point amotorkat. I have raked my rear door on a post trying to pay attention to the trailer so go slow, watch out everywhere. Man I was pissed when I did that. I think I woke people up in the neighborhood I was working in. Needless to say, it wasn't like that very long. I can't stand body damage. Anyway, yeah. Watch what's beside you!!

#20 ·
Basic tips, but important none the less.

1. Make sure the ball size is correct.(not much difference BEEtween a 2" and a 1 7/8)
2. Make sure the ball is tight.
3. If you have a locking coupler, lock or bolt it closed. (for safety & security)
4. Make sure there is ample length in your chains and pigtail to make a 90 degree turn.
5. Make sure chains and pigtail do not drag the ground.
6. If you don't have a spare, get one BEEfore you leave. (easier and cheaper that way)
7. Evenly distribute the weight your carrying just forward of the axle.(10-15% of total weight on the tongue)
8. Trailers don't like uneven pavement.
9. Make sure load is secured.(all of it)

...do all that and you shouldn't even feel it back there.

#21 ·
I know Goodyear recommends adding 10lbs when going over 65 mph. If you have true trailer tires you might consider adding some pressure but I doubt it will matter with a load that light.
If I were towing it, I would simply make sure the tires are at full recommended pressure and make sure to have a spare.

#22 ·
Thanks all good info. I went to a parking lot tonigh. helped a bit. but who ever said once you notice its to late is right.

The tire pressure thing was not due to the trailer weight but more about extended time at high speeds, like 70 and above.

thx again
bull

#23 ·
Keep practicing man. You'll just suddenly get it. It's really not hard to back up a trailer. Another thing to practice if you have the room is backing up in a straight line. That can sometimes be tougher than turning. Oh, one other thing. It's hard to tell distance in your rear view mirror. The back of the trailer appears closer than it actually is....at least that's my experience. Not sure about the others.

#24 ·
:imo

I normally run 42 psi front, 37 psi rear when empty. When pull a light trailer, I increase the rear to 40. My tires are not load rated, so the maximum is 44psi. Do not exceed the tire manufacture's recomendation. The only additional advice I can offer is watch your brakes. With the oem rotors, I had the reoccuring warping issue due to heat. The extra 1000 or so pounds will increase the heat build up in montainous areas. As already stated, if you don't have much experience, avoid backing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.