DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installing a tach

504 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  03RAMVAN360 
#1 ·
i have a sunpro powerline tach that im putting in my 95 dodge ram but i have no instructions. i've got the power hooked up fine, the light works anyway. but on the disrubuter there seems to be 3 wires, black, yellow and orange. which one am i supposed to use? i tried each one but it didnt seem to work. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
I think you will want to use one of the wires coming from the ignition coil. Atleast thats what I did on my 93.

#3 ·
I just finished installing my Sunpro tach last week. I have an '03 Ram Van with the 360 motor.

You don't tap the signal for the tach from the distributor... You tap it from the coil (located on the Front Right side of the engine below the alternator, from the vantage of the drivers seat) There are three wires that go into the coil. One is the thick spark plug wire that obviously goes to the distributor, the other two plug into the bottom of the coil. On my engine one wire was green the other was white... Through trial and error, if figured out the white wire was the one with the signal. You want to tap the negative wire.

Its important that you use a good ground (or interference will make the tach erratic) don't ground it to a piece of metal under the dash. I grounded mine off a wire spliced from the battery ground wire. Works great! Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.