DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Barracuda Is Coming in 2014??!!!

4K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  JDCRamTruck2012 
#1 · (Edited)
On this day 02/18/13 two minutes ago I was on the phone asking abouth the Core Challenger with a dealer here. He was in the dark about it. Now, get this- he said the Challenger is going off the shelf and today they were told the Barracuda is coming out in 2014!!! I have never heard one word about this anywhere and I am suspicious that this guy may be nuts. He was a sales person for the dealership. I should have called other dealships to ask them before posting this. I in case somebody does not know what the core cars are they are stripped down performance cars and I know they are coming out in 2014 but heard they are availble this year as well. I am going to stop here and call some other dealers to see what they know about this.
UPDATE:Here's Proof!!!14
Jan/12
16The End of the Dodge Challenger is NearAt Detroit Auto Show Dodge Declares the Challenger's Run Soon OverDodge has plans in place to end the Challenger's production run in 2014 and replace their pony car with a smaller, more CAFE friendly Barracuda.If Dodge has one thing at their disposal it's a cadre of legendary Chrysler nameplates at their disposal, and the name Baracuda is just another one of them. The Dodge Challenger, while beautiful and impressive (and very able to hold its own, performance-wise, especially in SRT8 form) is heavy. Very heavy, in fact, and that weight has hurt the Challenger's sales as well as its market image.

This weight issue has made the current Challenger an uncommon sight at track days around the nation where its closest competitors--the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro--can be found in droves, and it's this weight issue that will ultimately lead to the Challenger's demise.

CAFE restrictions have become rough, and Dodge as a brand is having trouble keeping its numbers where they need to be in relation to CAFE averages and standards. The weighty Challenger, and its weighty brother the Charger, don't help with this either. For this reason, the move to a lighter--and, as result, more fuel friendly--alternative seemed like a given.

Thus enters the Dodge Barracuda. Thus far, little is known about the Barracuda. What Dodge has said is that the vehicle will not be built on the Challenger's LY Platform, and, according to rumors will be constructed on the same rear-wheel drive platform as the Hyundai Genesis coupe. This platform, whether it or another one is used, will guaranteed be shorter, thinner, and much lighter than the Challenger LY one.

These moves should ultimately take the Challenger, through means of downsizing, from a Grand-Touring Coupe as it is currently built to a more legitimate, light-weight and high-performing sports car--the likes of which, outside of the Viper, Dodge hasn't produced in decades. Also, this move makes sense in conjunction with the Alfa Romeo co-ownership of Dodge now, as either purchasing the rights to the Genesis platform or producing an entirely new one would provide Alfa Romeo with an affordable, lightweight, RWD platform that could be utilized for a more entry-level sports vehicle in their very successful European market--maybe something to battle with the BMW 1M and other vehicles of that nature?

Ultimately, Dodge has this new Barracuda slated for release in the 2014 model year--which means that we should begin seeing concept versions of it in the upcoming months. This 2014 date would mean that the entire life-span of the Challenger, launched in this iteration in 2008, would be just over five years. The 2014 date also puts the Barracuda in line to compete with the revamped 50th Anniversary Edition Ford Mustang set for release that same year, and the next generation Chevrolet Camaro that's scheduled for release in the 2015 model year.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Challenger isn't ending production. All I've seen is rumors on the net, nothing viable

#3 ·
#4 ·
According to the newest 5 year plan the Cuda would be a 2016 project.

#5 ·
The sales guy said he had the info on his desk fresh off the press that morning saying it will be out in 2014.

#6 ·
#18 ·
I know this is a little off topic but I was looking under Ram and it said nothing about a next gen truck. I would have thought that it would be in 2016 for CAFE since the 2013 is just a Mid Generation fresh up and a good fresh up at that.

#7 ·
Except that same guy is saying the Challenger is going MIA for '14...he's clearly clueless

#8 ·
2015 SRT Barracuda: the rumored muscle carrenderings by (in order of appearance) suzq044, phantomex, Hemiman876 - updated 1/21/13

In April 2012, Allpar was told that Chrysler was working on two new sets of future vehicles:
•D-RWD (not an official name), a mid-sized rear wheel drive car to re-establish Alfa Romeo’s “street cred.”
◦As RVC wrote, the new mid-sized rear-drive platform and architecture is a joint project, being developed in Auburn Hills with embedded Fiat/Alfa engineers. It took two years of tinkering between finance and marketing to get it approved. They were going to use a shortened Challenger platform but it became obvious that it would not work that way.
◦One source wrote that this is “CUSW compliant architecture” which will be used for the Giulia, “same platform, but RWD architecture.” That means it would have the same hard points but with rear wheel drive, so it could be built on the same line as Dart or the next 200.
•E-EVO, a flexible platform which is to accommodate front and rear wheel drive, cars, crossovers, minivans, and a pickup. This might be based on the LX platform; some say Quattroporte is the first car built on it.
There are two parallel sets of comments from Chrysler execs and insiders, and we present them to you now.
Disclaimer: plans change as new information is gathered. Research might end the Barracuda project before it’s completed; the addition of the D-RWD platform might also affect Barracuda plans.

SRT Barracuda Scenario #1oh2o believes that the SRT Barracuda, boasting a 6.2 liter supercharged Hemi which has been all but confirmed, will be on a shortened version of the LC Challenger. This new car, body code LA, would sacrifice some space but make it easier to do battle with the smaller Camaro and Mustang. There is a new car coded LA coming to Brampton, which could be the Barracuda or the new Challenger or both.

In this scenario, the Barracuda would simply be an SRT car based on the new Challenger, gaining a little extra publicity from what would essentially be a new front fascia and grille — since the Challenger is almost certainly continuing. This now appears to be the most likely option. It would be the only car using the supercharged 6.2 Hemi, at first.
Production of the new LA body is scheduled for the August-October 2013 range. It will most likely include a stronger chassis, provision for the eight-speed automatic transmission, various aerodynamic upgrades, and the new electronics architecture. The Barracuda, if it comes, is believed to be scheduled for calendar-year 2014 (as a model-year-2015 car).

Original is at 2015 SRT Barracuda: the rumored muscle car http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/barracuda.html#ixzz2LvQbyhxW
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

Seems to me the guy at the dealership I spoke with had it right for a release in 2014!!:rck:

#9 ·
Did you even look at the five year plan I posted? That came straight from Chrysler only about 1 month ago.

There are NO all new cars being launched for 2014, just a van for Ram and a small suv for Jeep.

All three LX cars will be refreshed in 2014, the ACR Viper in 2015, and the Cuda which is on a LA (even further shurnk down LC, Challenger Platform) is due in 2016.

The End.

#10 ·
So where did the info I posted come from---Disney World?:thatfunny

#11 ·
Evidently, there was very little "info" in it that was accurate. The refreshed LX cars will be next year for the 2015 MY and the Cuda will be two years after.

#12 ·
I just talked to Tomball Dodge in Texas and they said it's possible it will be out in 2014 but nothing is in granite. That's two dealerships I spokw with personally saying possibly 14.

#13 ·
Typically dealerships know less then we do on this forum...

#14 ·
I was working with a dealership that is saying I can't order a 14 Jeep GC and if I did, I wouldn't have it until this fall. That's very funny since I've had one on order since 2/15 with another dealer...

#16 ·
This weight issue has made the current Challenger an uncommon sight at track days around the nation where its closest competitors--the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro--can be found in droves, and it's this weight issue that will ultimately lead to the Challenger's demise.
This made me laugh, its not the weight its the fact that Dodge has encrypted the computer making it near impossible to modify the car. Whereas GM/Ford make it easy to customize their cars and support the aftermarket.

The Camaro is no lightweight in itself.
Typically dealerships know less then we do on this forum...
So true its not funny.

#17 ·
This made me laugh, its not the weight its the fact that Dodge has encrypted the computer making it near impossible to modify the car. Whereas GM/Ford make it easy to customize their cars and support the aftermarket.

The Camaro is no lightweight in itself.

So true its not funny.
I don't know about the Challenger computer but it's weight is brought up in nearly every article I read comparing the three muscle cars. Chevy has long been the king of aftermarket performance boosts. Why would Dodge deliberatley take enhanceing the cars away from the buyers? That makes zero sense to me. Who is buying these cars, AARP members only?!

#19 ·
If history repeats itself it won't be till 2017. 2nd gen was from 1994 to 2002, 3rd gen 2003 to 2009, 7 years. So the 4th should go to 2016 with the 5th Gen being 2017 models. For the HD's anyways lol

#20 · (Edited)
I'd be very interested in a New Barracuda if they have the foresight to manufacture them in the U.S.A.
That would be cool !!

As for the Challenger, Charger, 300's & Yes even Camaro's -- I could care less about these FOREIGN MADE Cars...

Yuck !!
edit: The Yuck is uncalled for, as i'd probably buy a Challenger if it was American made....

#22 ·
I'd be very interested in a New Barracuda if they have the foresight to manufacture them in the U.S.A.
That would be cool !!

As for the Challenger, Charger, 300's & Yes even Camaro's -- I could care less about these FOREIGN MADE Cars...

Yuck !!
Do you even have a clue what you are talking about? Canada SELLS more American built cars then we export to the US. So maybe we should STOP selling american built cars and see how many more Americans are out of work. When we lost the Autopac we lost most of our jobs. At one time Windsor had 6 Chrysler Plants, 5 Ford Plants and 2 Gm plants. We are down to ONE Chrysler Plant and ONE Ford Plant running at half capacity and NO GM Plants.. You should be careful what you wish for....

#21 ·
You have a Ram correct? Tell me where it was made.....

Exactly. This argument is so stupid.

#25 ·
You want numbers? I can give them to you.
Chrysler sold 243,845 vehicles here last year, up six per cent from 2011.

Do you actually know how many minivans alone Chrysler produced at Windsor Assembly?

Oct 04, 2012 - 4:15 PM EDT
Last Updated: Oct 04, 2012 - 6:38 PM EDT
The Windsor Assembly Plant, one of the few Chrysler assembly plants running on three full shifts, is receiving a production boost from surging North American auto sales, Carlos Gomes, senior economist at Scotia Economics, said Thursday.

Production at the Chrysler minivan plant will reach 350,000 units by the end of the year compared to slightly more than 300,000 units last year, said Gomes.

Chrysler Canada Total Production:

2012 – 585,918

So Chrysler Canada sold 243,845 vehicles and produced 585,918 vehicles. Is that fair?

Ford Motor Co. of Canada held its place as the country’s top-selling automaker, though its full-year sales of 276,068 vehicles mark less than a 1 per cent increase over 2011.

Fords only Canadian Plant produced roughly 200,000 cars last year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/01/03/business-auto-sales.html

#26 ·
Thanks 3500Dually, my problem here in the States is Republicans Manf. Outsourcing of our Jobs to all countries, not just Canada.
I Like Canada !

Canada is 1 of our best Trade Partners & a favorite Allies !

U.S.-Canada Trade Facts; [Quote;U.S. goods and services trade with Canada totaled over $680 billion in 2011 (latest data available for goods and services trade). Exports totaled $337 billion; Imports totaled $343 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with Canada was $6 billion in 2011.

Canada is currently our largest goods trading partner with $616 billion in total (two ways) goods trade during 2012. Goods exports totaled $292 billion; Goods imports totaled $324 billion. The U.S. goods trade deficit with Canada was $32 billion in 2012.]

Since so many of our Auto makers have moved to foreign countries, it's amazing a couple of the Most American Made Cars are Toyota Camry & Avalon plus Honda Accord..

"Live Long & Prosper My Friend" !! :gr_patrio

#27 ·
Ah I thought you had a HD. You shot that one all to hell for me...:D

But to dismiss the Challenger and Charger and 300 because they're "foreign made" (it's Canada, kind of like the North US) is ludicrous. They're damn good cars, obviously very popular.

Let me ask you this, and I'm in no way implying that vehicles made in the States are junk; would you rather Chrysler build the LX/LC cars here in the States at lower quality, or would you rather have them built in Canada at a fairly high quality like they are?

I don't give two shits where it's made, if it's a Dodge/Chrysler product and at their current quality, I'll buy it. Chrysler is cranking out some of the best (if not THE) best vehicles in their history, and I'm happy to see that. They have the best HD truck on the market, and they're made in Mexico. Whoopty do. And I'll put the Charger/300 up against any GM or Ford fullsize, the fact they're made in Canada is pretty moot to me.

#28 ·
I wondered when someone was going bring that up.

#30 ·
Reread what I said and get back at me. You clearly didn't get what I said...

#31 ·
uhhh someone said Toyota was made in USA?

Toyota has a plant here in Kentucky the autos are "assembled' here. Not made here. All parts come from Toyota.
Motors and transmissions are put together in Buffalo W Va. They are also "assembled" there with parts coming in to plant.

Same with Honda in Ohio

Toyota buys a lot of steel from AK Steel in Ashland Ky.
Guess who owns AK steel??? You got it!!! Company in Japan.

Toyota supports Japan and Japan supports Toyota.

It is easier to put them together here than to ship complete from Japan

So you might want to rethink "made in USA" when you talk Toyota

#33 ·
Who are the employees & taxpayers working @ AK steel, Honda plants & Toyota Plants ?? :gr_patrio

On the "Made in U.S.A." Camry & Avalon they have the most Made in the USA parts than any other car line!
Tundra is made in Texas
Nissan, BMW, Volkswagen & others have opened plants in the United States...
I try to buy American Made, but everywhere you go there's China, Mexico, India, Taiwan, Korean, Canada, & others for sale ! not just auto's.
:rck:

#32 ·
Oh, don't tell these guys that, you will ruin their myth. Drive by any Asian plant and look at all the over seas containers in their yard full of parts from Japan.

#36 ·
The Asian worker makes 20 bucks an hour, the domestic worker makes 33 bucks an hour. 13 dollars an hour difference. The Asian plant replaced an american plant at say, 3000 employees? So 3000 employees times 13 dollars an hour times 40 hours a week times 52 weeks a year. 81,120,000. Thats 81.12 million dollars taken out of the american economy per year. And thats just ONE plant. Now multiply that by what, 5 or 6 plants the Asians now have in the US against the 5 or 6 plants the domestic has closed and where are you now?
Now, lets go to the supply side of it. For every domestic auto worker working for the big three there are 10 spin off jobs in the feeder plants making roughly 22 dollars an hour. For every Asian transplant assembly plant they have 4 workers in spinoff jobs making 15 dollars an hour. The rest of those parts come in containers from overseas.

Remember, the Asians are selling cars here cheaper because they have no retirement people (legacy costs) they have to support unlike the Big Three. When the Asians finally get rid of the Big Three in the US and have full control watch where their prices go.
The Japanese said it best after WW2. They said they will win the next war against the US without firing a single shot. From what I can see of all the foolish people, they are right on schedule.
If you cannot see this then I feel sorry for you down the road.

#37 ·
""Really Dually ??? Really ???" :thatfunny

The most recent data are in line with the long-term trend. In the first quarter of 2012, 10,000 plants closed, or 3.3%, while 8,000 plants opened, or 2.6. This in turn affects the workforce. For example, from the first quarter of 2010 to the first quarter of 2012 there was a cumulative loss of 108,000 jobs.
:huh:

:gr_patrio

#38 ·
#39 ·
"""""ROFLMAO""""

Since 2001, The U.S. Has Lost 42,400 Factories, 90,000 More Set to Close
Something has gone radically wrong with the American economy. A once-robust system of "traditional engineering" -- the invention, design, and manufacture of products -- has been replaced by financial engineering. Without a vibrant manufacturing sector, Wall Street created money it did not have and Americans spent money they did not have.

Americans stopped making the products they continued to buy: clothing, computers, consumer electronics, flat-screen TVs, household items, and millions of automobiles.

America's economic elite has long argued that the country does not need an industrial base. The economies in states such as California and Michigan that have lost their industrial base, however, belie that claim. Without an industrial base, an increase in consumer spending, which pulled the country out of past recessions, will not put Americans back to work. Without an industrial base, the nation's trade deficit will continue to grow. Without an industrial base, there will be no economic ladder for a generation of immigrants, stranded in low-paying service-sector jobs. Without an industrial base, the United States will be increasingly dependent on foreign manufacturers even for its key military technology.

For American manufacturers, the bad years didn't begin with the banking crisis of 2008. Indeed, the U.S. manufacturing sector never emerged from the 2001 recession, which coincided with China's entry into the World Trade Organization. Since 2001, the country has lost 42,400 factories, including 36 percent of factories that employ more than 1,000 workers (which declined from 1,479 to 947), and 38 percent of factories that employ between 500 and 999 employees (from 3,198 to 1,972). An additional 90,000 manufacturing companies are now at risk of going out of business.
The Plight of American Manufacturing | The American Prospect
:gr_patrio

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.