More help required... Z-bar bushes - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 3 Old 04-10-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Ray Bell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
More help required... Z-bar bushes

I'm away from all of my stuff at the moment otherwise I could ferret around and check the bits I have and know what I'm doing.

However, I have to get some new bushes for the Z-bar on my van, it's critical as it looks like it's broken right up now and I don't really want to wear away the inside of the cross-bar.

I can get bushes for Valiants fairly easily, does anyone know if they fit?

Just to put you in the picture here, Valiants were the only Chrysler cars sold in Australia after 1960 which had manual transmissions and hence Z-bars. And they went by the wayside in 1981, so even stuff for them is hard to source.

Anyway, I'd appreciate if anyone knows if the bushes interchange...
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-15-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Ray Bell

(Thread Starter)
Having established locally that they should be the same, I've now pulled mine out and they look quite different.

As I've ordered new ones I will post pics tomorrow of the two different kinds.

I'm also going to make up new pull-rods for the clutch linkage using rod ends, I'm sure it won't hurt to have nice smooth operation with spherical bearings which won't wear out.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Ray Bell

(Thread Starter)
So here we go...

As can be seen, though the bushes themselves are the same diameter and work on the same size ball stud, the retaining clip comes in at a different point... that's the groove around the outside of the bush. There are also channels for grease.

Now that I have it apart I can see that there's no real problem with the originals so I guess they'll get put back in.

The original rods that pull on the Z-bar work through a bell-crank under the floor. So there's a vertical rod which appears to me to be about 5/16 thick, it has little 'horizontal' pieces welded to it and they go into the clutch actuating lever up at the pedals and the bell-crank at the bottom. It all looks fairly flimsy to me, though obviously mine did lots of miles in the slant 6 van from which it came.

However, it is a wear point at each end, the horizontal pieces must wear and the holes in the points where they run must wear over time.

The rod from the bell-crank to the Z-bar is similar, though maybe it has bigger pieces going through the bell-crank and the Z-bar lever to which it links. I can see plenty of wear in that hole!

So I'm going to use 8mm female rod ends. These are not very expensive at all...

...about $AU8.00 for two including postage. Of course I need four. The ⅜" female rod end shown on the replacement clutch push rod was dearer, about $AU17. The 8mm rod was only $AU4.50 and some nuts and bolts pushed another $AU15 onto the price list.

To make the clutch push rod I got two 4" ⅜" UNF bolts with thread all the way to the heads. I've chamfered the heads and welded them back to back, then cut the short end to the required size. A bit of judicious grinding to emulate the original flat on the thread and it was just a matter of grinding back the weld to form a 9/16" hex and bolting it all together.

Thus far the 8mm rod ends haven't arrived, but they should be here early next week. I should be able to fit it all up about this time next week when I once again go to the shed where the van is stored for the moment.

I've made the threads on the rods a bit longer than should be needed as I don't know how far the rod ends will screw on nor do I know the exact length of the vertical rod. I can cut it if needed, but I can't do any more thread once I get to the shed. I can also use long (about 1" long) locknuts if the exposed thread is too great.

With all of this I hope to make it more durable and smooth-running and take away some of the fears I have of those original flimsy rods breaking when I'm a long way from home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in