DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

if i take the top of my stock intake and put a kn filter in that cia intake? haha

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  mopar fan 
#1 ·
if i take the top of my stock intake and put a kn filter in that cia intake? haha i just had this thought in my head from another post on how to use pvc and a filter to build ur own cia intake but it just sorta dawned on me my idea might be feasible if perhaps the filter was held some how because i believe it would be loose anyways anyone have any comments or could tell me if this would work or not cheers

#13 ·
:thatfunny
No offense to the original poster but that was pretty funny the way it came out...

#5 ·
He's trying to build his own intake. Yes it's possible. Do a search for "homebrew CAI." And you should find plenty of info. BTW, it's CAI not CIA.

#6 ·
Just explain step by step what your talking about doing, sometimes it's hard to get it out of your head and on paper, so that it's coherent to others.

#7 ·
I think he wants to connect a cone filter to the tb :dunno:

#8 ·
my idea is to keep the stock intake just take the top of the box off and leave the stock filter exposed and drive like that, and then possible if that will work getting a k&n filter and sticking it in there and i just figure it would be simalar to a homemade one with out all the extra work getting almost the same effect?

#9 ·
I don't see how that's going to help at all, if anything it will hurt it some because you'll be sucking hot air out of the engine compartment where the box gets (at least some) of it's air from the fender area. The idea with a CAI is not an exposed filter, it's getting rid of the restrictive hat on top of the engine as well as the tubing.

#11 ·
ok if thats the case then how will building my own cai with pvc pipe, heat tape, and standard filter and what ever else, how would it be any different? it would still be exposed to the engine heat unless i fabricated a heat shield like the k&n one

#15 ·
Heat is going to be a small issue with most CAI, but the biggest thing is that the factory air intake system does not flow well at all. If you decide to build one yourself, you can smooth out the transition of air throughout the intake system....hope this helps.

If I was at home I'd post pics of the one I built, it's not hard.

#12 ·
#14 ·
#22 ·
(Not wanting to divert this thread but):

I have a drop in K&N in my (5.9 V8 Gas ) 1500. Does anyone know if the standard pipe sizes in the 5.9 are 3 inch - like the Hemi?

I guess what I'm asking is: Will the home-brew method below work for my '02 5.9?

#16 ·
well i think i am going to build one and im going to fabricate a new box and im gonna use the 4" pipe k&n filter and build a custom air box for it

#17 ·
actually im going to stick with the 3" pipe after all

#18 ·
but heres one thing i dont get! i just thinking right now... on the stock intake box.. if you were to open the lid to it as if to replace a filter but just left it open and ran it like that... someone said that it would get to much hot air.. but almost all the types of kits that k&n makes (just using as an example) all have the top part open... so how is it any different...

#20 ·
2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi 4x4

#24 ·
what id like to know is the rough difference between a home made vs a prof built one how better would a full k&n kit be vs home made because if its huge id rather just save up..

#25 ·
I don't know the difference between a home brew and K&N, but there probably isn't much difference between an expensive K&N, and a less expensive ebay intake.

#26 ·
The difference is small. If you rather buy an intake though then he's right, just get an Ebay one.

#28 ·
if you take the TOP of the air box off and just leave the filter exposed isnt that the same as running no filter ???? .................the factory system pulls air in from the bottom of the box and out the top to the intake...............correct me if im wrong or missunderstood what hes trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.