[5.7] Octane Question 87/91 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 8 Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
TheRosco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
[5.7] Octane Question 87/91

So I know that the manual and alot of people in this board go with and reccomend 89octane in the 5.7, and frankly I like to run it too.

I recently got a Costco card, and was looking forward to cheap fuel for the Hemi, at 15 cents per litre cheaper than the other gas stations.

I pull up to the pump, and there is 2 buttons. 87.... and 91.

I said "oh what the %#^"

So I chose 87, cause its acceptable and its what the previous owner and alot of other people run in it.

So the question is.

Should I, and can I run the 91 octane safely to get the benefits of the higher octane? Or should I continue on with 87. With the fuel savings even at 91 octane, I can choose to run either.

Will it have to advance the timing so much it wont run right with 91?

Opinions? Wisdom? Help!

Thanks as always!

* 2004 QC-SB Dark Grey - 5.7L HEMI
* 2005 QC-LB White - 5.9L Cummins (Traded in)
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 PM
ungluedcargo
Nut up or Shut up

I have used as low as 85 octane in my Hemi with no noticeable negative side effects. I thought the manual recommended 87. I dont think you will have any problems running 87. I use 87 right now and it does just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 loaded. A.r.e Z series topper, Line-X liner, Bushwacker pocket flares, tinted windows,Galaxy Miradge 44HP Cb,Wilson 1000 Cb antenna, Weather Tech floor liners, AVS vent visors, Painted Sport Bumper cover,Painted grill, Mopar nerf bars,Mopar wheel well liners and Retro Solutions Head and Fog lights,Retro Solutions l.e.d backup lights, Mopar cab lights, Flowmaster dual exhaust, Magnaflow Y pipe, AFE drop in filter, Kore H.P Lift kit, Carli Trackbar, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Fuel Boost Rims, 4.56 gears,Borgeson steering shaft, Prodigy trailer brake controller, Optima yellow top batt,Superchips Flashpaq, Smoked led tails and 3rd brake light, Stainless brake lines, Kobalt toolbox, Recon Projector Backup lights,Retro Headlights from Demon Hemi, Rvs Backup camera, and the ever important Cartman figure on dash.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red truck club #281
post #3 of 8 Old 11-18-2009, 11:40 PM
blackhemi4x4
Shut up and drive!

Send a message via MSN to blackhemi4x4
running the 91 will be just like running the 87. A little bit of performance loss. Many people think running 91 in something designed for 87 or 89 will make it better, but the difference between octanes is the speed that it burns. 87 burns quicker then 91. by the time your truck fires and burns without any timing adjustments, its a waste of power.

Ive been to a few stations here in WA that did not have 89(back when I was on my stock tune) and i ended up putting about 60% 87 and 40% 91.

You wont notice anything major with 91, but without tuning, its not going to do anything more for you

2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

mods: debadged
future mods: Exhaust, tires, tow hooks, skid plates, a/t tires, red brake calipers, maybe a tuner, line-x, 12" ported sub under a seat, colormatched grille
-Will be keeping it mostly stock.

My G/F also has the same truck, only hers is 100% stock-2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

Former owner of 2007 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn 5.7
99 Neon ES auto
01 Neon ES 5 speed
a handful of dodge Shadows (4 of them, all running)
early 90's D50

Im no longer amotorkat :P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 AM
clemsonteg

Send a message via AIM to clemsonteg Send a message via Yahoo to clemsonteg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluedcargo View Post
I have used as low as 85 octane in my Hemi with no noticeable negative side effects. I thought the manual recommended 87. I dont think you will have any problems running 87. I use 87 right now and it does just fine.

I hate to go ninja'n people that don't need ninja'n.

Last edited by clemsonteg; 12-17-2010 at 08:04 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 03:33 AM
crasher76
Im wired!!!

93 octane on a stock tune the truck runs like shit. i never had a problem with 87, the truck liked that the best on a stock tune.

Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 AM
MikeHTally
Got 2 Hemis

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
When I go to Costco (or Sam's), I just mix the gas. Roughly 70% 87 and 30% 93. I figure that's getting me close to 90 or so. We do that for both Hemis if we're filling up at either of those places.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 AM
BigHemiTex
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasher76 View Post
93 octane on a stock tune the truck runs like shit. i never had a problem with 87, the truck liked that the best on a stock tune.
mine is the same way it runs bad ass on stock tune with 87 gas

2003 Hemi + Mods
post #8 of 8 Old 11-22-2009, 04:36 AM
crasher76
Im wired!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiTex View Post
mine is the same way it runs bad ass on stock tune with 87 gas
i havent ran 87 since i did my heads

Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in