Did I Get Gypped At My Local Repair Shop? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
eatsleepdrivesc
Coolest Ram Club in FL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Did I Get Gypped At My Local Repair Shop?

Hi all,

I will try to keep this short. I noticed that I had a small leak of radiator fluid and then finally saw the engine temp go above normal so I refilled her and took her in to my local repair shop two days later and she had only maybe leaked a a cup since filling her up 2 days before I took her in.

I asked them to figure out where its leaking from and what needs to be done and or replaced and got a call that the radiator was leaking and had to be changed, then the Water Pump and then the Fan Clutch as well and 3.95 hours labor. Ends up being 704 bucks. And they even replaced the cap on it too and the last one in my opinion was fine. And to top it off, I get home and look under the hood just to see it and they reused all the old pipes and fasteners as well. Like if all the other stuff was changed, why not that then too why you're there?

This is a 02 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L.

Any input would be much appreciated, as I have been using this place for years, but this just caught me off guard.

Charles
---------
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Long Bed
4.7L

Performance mods: Superchips 3815
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Elec Cutout, K&N Drop in Filter, 545RFE TCM Swap, JBA Headers

Exterior/Interior mods: Debadged, Clarion DXZ785USB, Samsung Helix (XM Radio), Infinity Reference Series Front and Back Speakers, Fox-Ported Dual 10" Sub Box with 2-10" JL 10w3's, JL Slash V2 500/1 and JL Slash V2 300/4 amps, Factory Keyless Entry Added, HID Headlights and Fogs, Extang Trifecta Tonno Cover

DodgeTalk Central Florida Chapter Member #4

*287 Enthusiast Member #84*

*Silver Truck Club Memeber #68*

"Don't Fear The Drone" #2

Nekid Truck Club Member #4

LiL Ram Ridin Shotgun club Member #2

Best Time and speed: [email protected], Orlando Speed World 12/17/08

Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 09:12 PM
stev
Seating for 12

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yep, that's what most shops do these days.

Since the fan is attached to the water pumps, chances are the bearings went bad and leaked, thus, both had to be changed out to stop the leak. Better them to do the job vs. you doing it running around town for parts and taking 6 hours of your time in the cold doing it yourself.

If it was the summer and I had a day over the weekend, I would have done it myself and like you said, got new hoses, clamps and zip-ties. Hope they used the CORRECT coolant! If they used Dexcool, your engine will be compromised. Some shops don't care because GM coolant is easy for them to get in 55 gallon barrels.

71 Duster 340, 74 T&C 440-Interceptor, 74 Duster /6 225, 76 Aspen /6 225, 79 Volare S/6 225, 81 Pacer I6 258, 88 Colt I4, 85 Caravan 2.6L, 94 Caravan 3.0L, 96 Caravan 3.3L, 00 Ram Van B1500 3.9L, 01 Ram Van B2500 5.2L, 05 Caravan SXT 3.8L, 03 Ram 2500 5.7L HEMI
post #3 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 10:07 PM
Ray Bell

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sounds like they found water at the bottom of a hose, but it wasn't coming from the hose...

"Aha!" they've said, "it's the radiator!"

And then, while the radiator was out, they saw that it had been dripping from the water pump. "Aha!" they've said, "we can hit this guy for some more here and he'll never know we've made such a silly mistake. After all, we're not sending this new radiator back, are we?"

Irrespective of the temperature, I'd learn to do it myself. But I've been doing stuff like this myself for over fifty years so I'm well conditioned to it. And if it only took a cupful after a couple of days, I'd have been sitting on it, keeping a check on it, maybe even waiting for things to develop. And carrying a container of water with me all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 11:15 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
They didn't rip you off, price-wise, but they should have gotten approval for the work. Assuming $400 labor, they didn't make much on the parts, including the coolant. It's possible they saw issues with the water pump and fan clutch while they had it apart. It might have made sense to replace hoses, at least the bottom one, but perhaps it looked fine to them. I'm surprised this is a 4 hour job on a pickup, but I've never worked on one of these engines.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 04:37 AM
White ShadoW

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's not that fast to drain cooling system, remove radiator and replace it. I did it with my truck - it tooks time.

Replaced radiator cap is very good as I saw blown radiators due to stack cap valve. Also original mopar radiator come with new original cap.

Hoses should be inspected firts of all. Why should they be changed without a reason?

Dodge RAM Club Ukraine
post #6 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 AM
Ray Bell

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I don't know about that...

Almost four hours labour was the radiator and the water pump, that's probably fairly reasonable. I know I would do my own quicker, but what I said holds.

They said it was the radiator and then said the water pump leaked too. A cup of water in a couple of days... it won't be coming from two places and still be that small a loss. They misdiagnosed and compensated by taking down their customer, that's not acceptable.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 AM
guyonearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev View Post
Yep, that's what most shops do these days.

Since the fan is attached to the water pumps, chances are the bearings went bad and leaked, thus, both had to be changed out to stop the leak. Better them to do the job vs. you doing it running around town for parts and taking 6 hours of your time in the cold doing it yourself.

If it was the summer and I had a day over the weekend, I would have done it myself and like you said, got new hoses, clamps and zip-ties. Hope they used the CORRECT coolant! If they used Dexcool, your engine will be compromised. Some shops don't care because GM coolant is easy for them to get in 55 gallon barrels.
FYI Dexcool meets the Chrysler specs, and is exactly what I use in both my Chrysler vehicles. As long as you're not mixing HOAT and OAT, you're fine.
What's the matter, a little cold got you guys down. Try changing out a transmission in December while laying in frozen mud, it's what separates the men from the boys.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 09:25 AM
guyonearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Sounds like they found water at the bottom of a hose, but it wasn't coming from the hose...

"Aha!" they've said, "it's the radiator!"

And then, while the radiator was out, they saw that it had been dripping from the water pump. "Aha!" they've said, "we can hit this guy for some more here and he'll never know we've made such a silly mistake. After all, we're not sending this new radiator back, are we?"

Irrespective of the temperature, I'd learn to do it myself. But I've been doing stuff like this myself for over fifty years so I'm well conditioned to it. And if it only took a cupful after a couple of days, I'd have been sitting on it, keeping a check on it, maybe even waiting for things to develop. And carrying a container of water with me all the time.
You're second guessing somebody else's work. When you're a mechanic working on a 17-year old vehicle, it's more likely than not that you're going to find multiple problems when you start disassembling things. It's common sense to replace a water pump and fan clutch on something that old when you have the chance, because they're critical parts and could easily fail at any time. I'm frankly surprised the radiator lasted that long, they typically have a 10-12 year lifespan. There is no evidence that they "ripped off" anybody.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-20-2019, 10:46 AM
GGabel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think that was a bad price for doing all of the things that they replaced for $704. I would have put new clamps and hardware on if they put in a new radiator and water pump though! That is why I do my own repairs unless it requires special tools. I would replace the clamps and any hoses if they did not put on new hoses. Good luck!!
post #10 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 PM
AntsinmyEyes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGabel View Post
I would have put new clamps and hardware on if they put in a new radiator and water pump though!
Thats just uneccessary expense, especially for a shop whos already got you mad with the price for the other parts and labor. The clamps and hardware are not one time use items for the waterpump or radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in