DodgeTalk Forum banner

Front wheel bearings

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  RBoone 
#1 ·
I have a 98 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 Laramie. I'm having trouble withe the whole front end but this is about the front wheel bearings. Nobody is able to get me the right ones. All of the auto stores give me the wrong ones ( way to small ). IV ordered them online and got them in the mail today and they are wrong too. How can I find the right ones. I don't Kno if a previous owner changed the front axle or what. They sell the whole hub assembly but they r over $100 I bought one a while back so I have a third one I'm trying to to just replace the bearings for alot cheaper. Any advice would help thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
It's not just a buck. It's like 100 bucks and I figured they were for a 2wd. I have a 3rd I will just replace the bearings when I have a little time to do it. I have the tools to do so so why not. I'm going through ball joints and bearings like crazy so this is the way I want to do it. Thanks

#11 ·
2WD and 4WD hubs are the same. You either have a axle to put in it or you leave it empty. Regardless Bolt on hubs are not meant to be rebuilt. They should be replaced as a whole unit.
Absolutely not. 2WD uses an A3 outer and an A5 inner which is what the op is showing whereas 4WD uses what is now called a unit bearing which is better purchased as a preassembled unit along with the hub and retainer in place. No they are not the same.

#13 ·
If it uses what you're calling a bolt on hub it's 4WD. The stub axle and nut is what keeps the hub and bearings together on this type assembly. Some years earlier there were some fleet trucks manufactured for the railroad that were 2WD that used such an assembly but even they had to have a splined pin with a nut through the center of it to work. None of those were to ever have been released to the general public. The OP has a 4WD front axle as pictured anyway.

#15 ·
Hey,thanks for your help guys.the last few replies were helpful. If I can actually find the right bearings I'm gonna try it since I do have an extra hub but in the meantime I I'm going to get the hub assembly and rockauto( thanks twodogs-2007 but I been using them for years) is a hell of a lot cheaper than my local auto store. Thanks again everyone

#17 ·
No there is something else wrong I just haven't figured it out yet. Something is bent or something and putting the steering components in a bind or something. It's been this way since I got the truck and the previous owner had the same problem so I got it for a good price. I'm doing nothing wrong. I'm no mechanic but I'm pretty knowledgeable working on vehicles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.