Installing Transmission Temperature Gauge - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
HemiDrivr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Installing Transmission Temperature Gauge

Hi all, Im new to the forums. I searched to see if my question had been asked before starting a new thread, but Ive had no luck so far. Ive got an 06 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 with the 545RFE. Im wanting to install a transmission temperature gauge but all the kits and parts I can find are specified for the Cummins so I just wanted to double check something. I know I need to install a T fitting on the tranny oil cooler line from the tranny to the cooler but I cant find specs on what the outside diameter of the line are. I just want to make sure that the T fitting Ill be ordering will fit before I pull the line and cut it. Ive asked the dealer and they have no clue and said they have no way of finding out, so any help or insight that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2019, 02:39 PM
hemibadger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I fitted a gauge to mine (after the original 'box burnt out its clutches!), I used a universal 2" gauge and its own sender that it came with.
I took the sump pan off, drilled a hole in the left side about 1" up from the bottom and welded a nut of the correct thread for the sender to the outside of the pan. I then screwed in the sender with ptfe tape on the thread. Works fine.
I went with the theory that the oil being drawn into the pump is coming from the sump pan, therefore the oil in the pan is probably fairly close in temperature to the internals, maybe 10 or 15 degrees lower. My temp sits at 50 degrees C most of the time, only really getting up to about 80 or 90 after some heavy use at slow speeds in 1st and 2nd gears. I've never seen it go above 100.

2003/4 2500 Quad-Cab, Hemi-powered and running on LPG.
7.5 ton electric winch, hidden behind front bumper and powered by an intelligent split-charge system with twin 130Ah batteries.
Leer topper.
On-board air, 2.5 gallon tank and a pair of British Rail Class 55 Deltic locomotive horns... almost enough to awaken the dead!
285/70-17 Toyo Open-Country A/T tyres (excellent on ice!).
Fully equipped as a motorsport recovery unit and licenced in the UK by the MSA.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-23-2019, 07:57 AM
HemiLonestar
Red Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Trans temp is one of the electronic PIDS that can be accessed through the OBD port. I use an Aeroforce Interceptor in an OEM SRT A Pillar.

03 Hemi Ram, 05 Magnum R/T, 06 Charger R/T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
HemiDrivr

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemibadger View Post
When I fitted a gauge to mine (after the original 'box burnt out its clutches!), I used a universal 2" gauge and its own sender that it came with.
I took the sump pan off, drilled a hole in the left side about 1" up from the bottom and welded a nut of the correct thread for the sender to the outside of the pan. I then screwed in the sender with ptfe tape on the thread. Works fine.
I went with the theory that the oil being drawn into the pump is coming from the sump pan, therefore the oil in the pan is probably fairly close in temperature to the internals, maybe 10 or 15 degrees lower. My temp sits at 50 degrees C most of the time, only really getting up to about 80 or 90 after some heavy use at slow speeds in 1st and 2nd gears. I've never seen it go above 100.
How did that work out, any leakage issues?I kinda considered doing that but I’m a lil unsure I want to try that for two reasons. One being that I want to try and get a more accurate reading and two, I’ve heard there can be some issues with getting a proper seal and I don’t want to have to worry about it leaking.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
HemiDrivr

(Thread Starter)
Since my original post, I’ve decided to install a MagHytec deep tranny pan to increase cooling as well. It comes with a test port built into it but I’m still unsure as to whether the reading I get from a test port in the tranny pan will be accurate enough or if I should just go with the process of adding a T fitting in the line going to the cooler so my temp reading is more accurate. Any thoughts?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 01:31 PM
hemibadger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
HemiDrivr, no, no leakage issues. I'm happy seeing the temp of the oil entering the pump (sump temp), as an "overall" temp for the box. What's coming out at the feed to the cooler is probably more indicative of the temp within the clutch packs, which is a more critical temp though, in all honesty.

HemiLonestar, the main reason I fitted a separate gauge and sender is that the thermistor within the solenoid pack that gives the temp signal to the Powertrain ECU is known to be somewhat "wide ranging" (inaccurate!). I have 4 solenoid packs here, the thermistors all indicate differently at the exact same temp. The difference from highest reading to lowest reading is over 20 degrees c, when all are at the exact same room temp!

2003/4 2500 Quad-Cab, Hemi-powered and running on LPG.
7.5 ton electric winch, hidden behind front bumper and powered by an intelligent split-charge system with twin 130Ah batteries.
Leer topper.
On-board air, 2.5 gallon tank and a pair of British Rail Class 55 Deltic locomotive horns... almost enough to awaken the dead!
285/70-17 Toyo Open-Country A/T tyres (excellent on ice!).
Fully equipped as a motorsport recovery unit and licenced in the UK by the MSA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in