Servicing Power Steering - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Pocho86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Servicing Power Steering

I coming up on changing my power steering fluid and was wondering how to drain the entire system since it is a rack and pinion set up.

Do i just take the lines off on the rack and let it bleed out all the fluid from the resivor then start it up and purge the system of air??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
8o8 Cane Field Mud Bogger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Quad Cab Short Bed Manual Trans
-33x12.5x17 on Stock 17' Rims
-SkyJacker Front and Rear Nitro Shocks
-Valor In Dash DVD Flip Up Screen CD AM FM Radio
-Straight Pipe Exhaust
-Flat Black Painted Grille Inserts
-Flat Black Painted Bumper Cover
- 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 AM
BossMaverick

Easiest way is to use a turkey baster. Suck out the fluid and refill. Drive a little bit and repeat. Repeat a few more times.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 12:46 AM
crasher76
Im wired!!!

when low if ever, fill back up

Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Pocho86

(Thread Starter)
ohh yea another question before i blank out, THERMOSTATS, the normal operating factory thermostat operates at what temp and why is it not recommended to remove it?

8o8 Cane Field Mud Bogger

04 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Quad Cab Short Bed Manual Trans
-33x12.5x17 on Stock 17' Rims
-SkyJacker Front and Rear Nitro Shocks
-Valor In Dash DVD Flip Up Screen CD AM FM Radio
-Straight Pipe Exhaust
-Flat Black Painted Grille Inserts
-Flat Black Painted Bumper Cover
- 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers
post #5 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 AM
BossMaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocho86 View Post
ohh yea another question before i blank out, THERMOSTATS, the normal operating factory thermostat operates at what temp and why is it not recommended to remove it?
I believe the stock thermostat is 200 degrees. You got to have some sort of thermostat or else your engine will run extremely cold which would cause very bad gas mileage, carbon build up, cold oil temps, and just overall being hard on your engine. Engines operate the most efficient at normal operating temperatures. Oh yeah, you would also have no heat in the winter without a stat.

A lot of the performance guys here have installed 180 degree thermostats. Keep in mind these guys are looking at performance only and not so much gas mileage. If your not hotroding around, the only time I would suggest a 180 stat is if you tow a lot in hot temps.

Edited to add: Just in case you need to know what a thermostat does, it controls what temp the engine operates at. During warm up, the stat remains closed which causing the engine's coolant to flow within the engine and heater core only. Once the engine warms up the coolant to the operating temp (200 degrees in our case), the stat opens and lets the coolant flow through the radiator. As long as your engine is operating correctly and its not super hot out, the stat will regulate the engine's temp by opening and closing as needed. If you removed the stat, the coolant would always flow through the radiator which would never allow the engine to come up to any where near operating temp.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 AM
MADBRAD
MADBRAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasher76 View Post
when low if ever, fill back up
X2

MADBRAD
2006 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Regular cab short bed/ MDS HEMI
steel 17s painted black /265 70 17 BFG Rugged Terrain tires/3.55 LSD
tow hooks /front suspension skid plate
3" cat back Flowmaster original 40
dechromed/debadged
black grille/black bumpers
Truxedo Truxsport
Belltech drop shackles
personalized "MADBRAD" license plates

post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 06:53 AM
big guy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This is how I did it on my 03. Remove the rubber return line to power steering pump. Let fluid drain. Find a rubber cap to plug port on pump or make one using old hose with a bolt in it. Word of caution here. The return hose on my truck was almost exact fit. So if you cut any hose it may be to short now. With PSP plugged with cap. Fill with ATF+4. Take the return line and place in container. Have helper start engine. Turn wheel very slowly as necessary to remove fluid. Keep reservoir filled during the procedure. You may have to shut engine off as well to refill. Repeat till fluid comes out clean. To bleed system. Remove PS cap. Raise truck so tires off ground. Turn wheels from stop to stop about 30 times. Do not hold steering wheel at end of stops.
I do this procedure with all my cars that I have ever owned.
Good Luck

2003 Ram 1500 SLT, 4.7,4x4 L.B. 4.10 motive gears, auburn LSD, PML rear diff cover, 3715 super chip, airaid M.I.T. & E.A.A. dry air filter, flexalite electric fan B.M. 180 extreme with moe's fan shroud delete kit, jet 180* stat, hemi radiator (spectra CU 2813). JBA shorty headers, homebrew power wire, aeroforce interceptor scan gauge, sonnex line pressure booster.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 AM
MonsoonMike
Site Administrator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
This is how I did it on my 03. Remove the rubber return line to power steering pump. Let fluid drain. Find a rubber cap to plug port on pump or make one using old hose with a bolt in it. Word of caution here. The return hose on my truck was almost exact fit. So if you cut any hose it may be to short now. With PSP plugged with cap. Fill with ATF+4. Take the return line and place in container. Have helper start engine. Turn wheel very slowly as necessary to remove fluid. Keep reservoir filled during the procedure. You may have to shut engine off as well to refill. Repeat till fluid comes out clean. To bleed system. Remove PS cap. Raise truck so tires off ground. Turn wheels from stop to stop about 30 times. Do not hold steering wheel at end of stops.
I do this procedure with all my cars that I have ever owned.
Good Luck
This is probably the "EASIEST" way of doing it.
Remove the line and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and let the pump empty the system. I've done it to where the pump makes noise and the system is dry. Then put a good brand of ATF+4 in.

I am about to do mine here soon as well.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::
My Vehicle Build =

2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn Delmonico Red
My Vehicle Build =

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in