Did SeaFoam mess up my brake booster? - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #21 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Jebb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMoN-HeMi View Post
Please Read the warning posted on their site for reference
Thanks for the screenshots but I believe that warning is regarding the potential for hydro lock if you pour too much in too fast.

I see no warning ANYWHERE that this chemical is corrosive to rubber parts.

In fact Jim at Sea Foam told me just the opposite, "Sea Foam is petroleum based and will not affect rubber components and even through you used the other port all Sea Foam got sucked into the motor."

So why do I now have a hole in the booster diaphram?

MAYBE it's a total coincidence - but still very suspect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri View Post
Sorry to bring the bad news. I looked it up on rockauto.com and a new brake booster (A-1 Cardone brand) is $100.89 plus a $40 core charge for a 2004 hemi anyway. That's not horribly bad. I sort of expected $250-300. You might find one at a pick and pull for cheaper. I wouldn't expect many people go to the junkyard for brake boosters.
I already looked it up too!

No, it's not horrible but if it was "self induced" damaged then I am really pissed. That's what I get for trying to maintain my truck in good shape.
post #23 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 09:53 AM
DeMoN-HeMi
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to DeMoN-HeMi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb View Post
Thanks for the screenshots but I believe that warning is regarding the potential for hydro lock if you pour too much in too fast.

I see no warning ANYWHERE that this chemical is corrosive to rubber parts.

In fact Jim at Sea Foam told me just the opposite, "Sea Foam is petroleum based and will not affect rubber components and even through you used the other port all Sea Foam got sucked into the motor."

So why do I now have a hole in the booster diaphram?

MAYBE it's a total coincidence - but still very suspect.
people stall their truck out by putting the hose in the container and sucking as much as the motor can take in this process, hydrolock is not their concern, Petroleum is gas, gas will eat rubber that is not designed to be used in gas situations, which is why we have fuel hose and rubber hose, your brake booster does not have rubber in it designed to have gas on it for extended length of time...

it all boils down to this is a self caused problem, not a problem with the product used, your brake system says only use brake fluid for a reason

Official DodgeTalk Lighting/Wiring Expert & Retired Moderator- Daniel

2003 1500 HEMI QC -Slammed and Sprayed,
2014 Ram 1500 Black on Black Edition HEMI! - The hauler
2013 Charger - The Toy
1995 Camaro - The Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Dont Spread my Wealth, Spread my Work Ethic!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Debt is normal, be WEIRD" - Dave Ramsey

Last edited by DeMoN-HeMi; 11-16-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #24 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 09:53 AM
ceri
'11 5.7L R/T Classic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I looked at the "info" on the brake booster on rockauto and there are several failure scenarios laid out by the manufacturer. The primary one seems to be running rich, which to me says that even petroleum based products can kill the gasket.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB 4.7L V8 2WD SOLD!
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB 5.7L V8 2WD SOLD!

2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L V8 RWD SOLD!

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB Laramie 5.7L V8 4WD

post #25 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri View Post
I looked at the "info" on the brake booster on rockauto and there are several failure scenarios laid out by the manufacturer. The primary one seems to be running rich, which to me says that even petroleum based products can kill the gasket.
Yep, I read that too.

And I also agree with Demon Hemi - the brake booster is intended to handle AIR only. Any fluid of any kind can eventually damage it.

I've learned an expensive lesson here. New brake booster on order.
post #26 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM
SILVER DAYTONA

I did mine through the right hose and still had the same problem as Jebb. I have lived and learned.
post #27 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
By the way, guys, I didn't make up this brake booster aux port approach on my own - I asked here 2 years ago:

https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192313

No one at the time chimed in that it was a bad idea.
post #28 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 12:15 PM
DeMoN-HeMi
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON

Quote:
By the way, guys, I didn't make up this brake booster aux port approach on my own - I asked here 2 years ago:

https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192313

No one at the time chimed in that it was a bad idea.
you only had 1 guy tell you that it would be ok though, before i did my first seafoam i found someone local who had done it first

2013 Charger - The Toy

post #29 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMoN-HeMi View Post
i found someone local who had done it first
So your 1 local guy is better than my 1 forum guy?

I agree, a consensus is a good thing. When no one spoke up I ASSUMED it was good advice.
post #30 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
DeMoN-HeMi
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON

Quote:
So your 1 local guy is better than my 1 forum guy?

I agree, a consensus is a good thing. When no one spoke up I ASSUMED it was good advice.
my local 1 guy did it daily at a local oil change place

thats the only reason i trusted him

i do TONS of research before i do anything to my motor, or anthing that can cause a problem on my truck, just like when i do a custom light idea, i buy a spare set of lights to try on first, gotta cover your grounds, now i know most wont buy another car to try on but like i said i do weeks to months of research first and YOUTUBE is your friend trust me lol

2013 Charger - The Toy

post #31 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM
NHHEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER DAYTONA View Post
I did mine through the right hose and still had the same problem as Jebb. I have lived and learned.
I am not trying to be a jerk but there is no way in hades, if you do the treatment properly, that the SF enters your BB. It is just not possible for the liquid to magically travel through the air and enter the BB through the exposed nipple nor is it possible when the line is hooked back up to travel against the engine vacumm suction and enter your BB. Your SF treatment just happend to coincide with a failed BB "if" you truly did do the treatment procedure properly.

I seriously mean no offense but it is just not possible for the SF to enter your BB and cause the failure if you use the main line to do the treatment.

2011 Jeep Patriot
"Latitude"
4WD 2.4L
Royal Purple #1
post #32 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
Just curious, but what is the typical life of a brake booster?

I live in Los Angeles and use the brakes A LOT however I called my local Dodge dealer and he found none in stock in the entire area - nearest source Arizona.

So, it seems, failure is rare.
post #33 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
MikeHTally
Got 2 Hemis

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Used correctly and by the instructions (combined with a touch of common sense), the Sea Foam is being pulled AWAY from the booster. Even when the hose is reconnected, it's still pulling away from the booster. Misuse of the product is not Sea Foam's responsibility. Sorry to rain on your parade.
post #34 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 PM
SILVER DAYTONA

NO offense taken NHHEMI. Maybe it was time for the Booster to go.
post #35 of 37 Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 AM
NHHEMI

Quote:
Just curious, but what is the typical life of a brake booster?

I live in Los Angeles and use the brakes A LOT however I called my local Dodge dealer and he found none in stock in the entire area - nearest source Arizona.

So, it seems, failure is rare.
I used to work auto parts. Did it for quite a few years actually. Both dealer( Ford )and aftermarket( local state parts chain and a Napa ). A failed BB while not something super common is also not rare. I sold quite a few BB's in my day. I can't speak to how common it is on the 3rd Gen Dodges as I was out of that line of work by the time they came out. BB's failing though, in general, is not uncommon nor rare. Keep in mind ALL parts fail.

However, just as a note. Don't take the fact that there are none locally as a sign of the part being rare. Parts are hard to come by these days for all auto mfg's. You could call around and look for the most common part you could think of and find them on infinite back order. I have been waiting for a month for a valve stem/tpms for my 2008. Still back ordered. Had 2 go bad and they were only able to get one.

The parts mfg's took a big hit when the economy tanked and the auto mfg's had financial issues. Getting parts can be a real nightmare now. The BB not being available locally to you is not a sure sign or how common it is for it to fail.

Besides, you performed the procedure improperly by your own admission. So if the failure truly was due to SF entering your BB because you used the secondary nipple on the BB then it is on you and again not an indication of the problem being common or rare. You broke the BB it didn't mechanically fail on its own if the SF caused the problem.

2011 Jeep Patriot
"Latitude"
4WD 2.4L
Royal Purple #1
post #36 of 37 Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 AM
DeMoN-HeMi
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHEMI View Post
I used to work auto parts. Did it for quite a few years actually. Both dealer( Ford )and aftermarket( local state parts chain and a Napa ). A failed BB while not something super common is also not rare. I sold quite a few BB's in my day. I can't speak to how common it is on the 3rd Gen Dodges as I was out of that line of work by the time they came out. BB's failing though, in general, is not uncommon nor rare. Keep in mind ALL parts fail.

However, just as a note. Don't take the fact that there are none locally as a sign of the part being rare. Parts are hard to come by these days for all auto mfg's. You could call around and look for the most common part you could think of and find them on infinite back order. I have been waiting for a month for a valve stem/tpms for my 2008. Still back ordered. Had 2 go bad and they were only able to get one.

The parts mfg's took a big hit when the economy tanked and the auto mfg's had financial issues. Getting parts can be a real nightmare now. The BB not being available locally to you is not a sure sign or how common it is for it to fail.

Besides, you performed the procedure improperly by your own admission. So if the failure truly was due to SF entering your BB because you used the secondary nipple on the BB then it is on you and again not an indication of the problem being common or rare. You broke the BB it didn't mechanically fail on its own if the SF caused the problem.
i have to agree on it not being common just because its not around locally, i waited 3 months for a air bag off switch for my 05 because dodge had em on national backorder

2013 Charger - The Toy

post #37 of 37 Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 AM
NHHEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER DAYTONA View Post
NO offense taken NHHEMI. Maybe it was time for the Booster to go.

2011 Jeep Patriot
"Latitude"
4WD 2.4L
Royal Purple #1
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in