Camshaft damaged by Dealer - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

Closed Thread

post #1 of 1 Old 07-16-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
pbisch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Camshaft damaged by Dealer

I have a 2012 Challenger R/T that I bought a few years ago with less than 18000 miles on it.
I have been taking the car in to my local Dodge Sealer for the recommended and scheduled routine maintenance to them since I purchased the car.

About a year ago I drove the car in for a factory recall to replace the Timing Belt Bracket and was running perfect at 73000 mile. A few days later they called me and told me that they missed a step and damaged the cam shaft and would have to replace it and any related parts, apologized for the inconvenience. I told them I was in NY for the week and take their time and do it right. I picked up the car when I returned, everything was under warranty and drove off. When I read the summarized repair report, I noticed that it stated that the car was towed in and the parts replaced were a result of the recall failure. This was definitely not true and there was nothing wrong with the car when I brought it in and most definitely was not towed in and showed a colleague from work of mine that followed me in to drop off the car and he just shook his head.

A few months ago at about 86000 miles, the engine started to tick and brought it in for an oil change and they told me not to worry about it that sometimes it ticks and maybe the oil change would eliminate it. It did not.

At about 9300 miles my water pump went out and I brought it in right away in which they replaced the water pump and reservoir and hopefully flushed it although was not in the paperwork. At that time I told them about the tick and that they had worked on the engine previously and was worried that they did not do something. They said that it was probably a lifter and it would be 2-4 thousands of dollars to fix and would not cover it under warranty since they did not touch the lifters previously. 4 days later the ticking stopped and engine light went on and I took it in immediately. At the end of the next day they called and said it would be 1700 to just break into the engine and thought the it was the Cam Shaft (they replaced before) and said it was not under warranty. I told them NO and I would talk to Dodge. A half an hour later they called and said the Manager said that I would have to pay a 300 co-pay and they would take care of it. They stated that they thought the lifers damaged the Cam Shaft and they did not do any work to the engine. Really? Don't you have to remove and change out the valve springs and push rods and also be careful to push the lifters up and out of the way so they are not damaged when removing and re-installing?

Not sure what to do here, but I am ready to walk away and let the bank take it back. Called Dodge and they said they couldn't help me. Hoping they honor the 300 dollar co-pay that I shouldn't even have to pay and fix it right this time.

Last edited by pbisch; 07-16-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typo
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in