instrument cluster voltage regulator - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 6 Old 01-27-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
bbgbouncer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
instrument cluster voltage regulator

73 W100 360. no upgrades to the charging system (yet)

Im starting to work on some upgrades to this truck. I started with replacing the instrument cluster VR. as seen here:
http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical2.html

I was testing the output with a multimeter. i found that the input had 17v. the 5v output was not working.

Green = battery input (currently 17v)
yellow = ground
brown = 5v output (currently 2.2v and fluctates)

1. 17v is too high. im trying to fix that.
2. 5v output is not 5v. ordered new VRs hopefully to fix this

did I get the wiring correct? do you see anything that is off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-01-27 14.26.06.jpg (306.4 KB, 5 views)

1973 W100 360 4-spd
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2017, 03:38 AM
K-Ray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I did this upgrade three years ago and everything worked fine. To answer your question, yes you do have it wired wrong. your '12 volt' supply wire is fine but you have the ground wire and '5 volt' output wires in the wrong spot. Swap those wires on the cluster board and you will be fine. Move the ground side of the capacitor along with the ground wire also. As a double check, re-read the allpar write up and test again with your multimeter.

'79 W150 Utiline 360 cu. in. 727 auto trans

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
bbgbouncer

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Ray View Post
I did this upgrade three years ago and everything worked fine. To answer your question, yes you do have it wired wrong. your '12 volt' supply wire is fine but you have the ground wire and '5 volt' output wires in the wrong spot. Swap those wires on the cluster board and you will be fine. Move the ground side of the capacitor along with the ground wire also. As a double check, re-read the allpar write up and test again with your multimeter.
Will do. Thanks for the note. I will post the results.

the allpar instructions say to look for the ground screws. it appears that the yellow is already on the copper circuit that has the ground nuts.

1973 W100 360 4-spd
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Last edited by bbgbouncer; 01-28-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
bbgbouncer

(Thread Starter)
ok so I swapped the wires. better results but still not fixed.

green = 17v+ (was 18.6v today when tested)
5v = reads 6.3v now.

I wonder if I cooked the regulator because it was wired wrong. I have ordered a few more VRs and capacitors.

guages dont appear to work. the regulator is the first thing ive changed/tested so im not worried about the guages yet. Im mainly concerned with the 18v output.

1973 W100 360 4-spd
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2017, 05:33 PM
K-Ray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I cannot say you did or did not fry the vr. I can say that while the allpar write up said to look for the ground screws, the GROUND SCREWS will not be connected to any of the copper circuit runs. What you took for ground screws/nuts were actually the three gauge posts needing the 5V supply from the regulator.

Do you have a wiring diagram? If not, then try to find one as it will help in understanding how these circuits work. If you pull the round wireing connector off of the circuit board you will see the alphabetical listing for identifying the posts on the bottom of the connector. Post C will be your 12V supply to the regulator and lights in the cluster. Post D will be the ground.

As far as the actual voltage supplied to the regulator, The regulator should be able to handle what you have stated. If you used the recommended VR then it should be rated as 35V max input. ( I say this because that is what I used for my setup ) The output will be 5V.

I do know that when you first start the truck, the vehicles voltage regulator will show a higher output reading than 12V. This reading will eventually settle down to about 14 - 15 volts while the truck is running. It will also fluctuate as you use various electrical components.

Build another VR for your instrument cluster since you have more parts and try it again. This upgrade will give you more solid gauge readings.

'79 W150 Utiline 360 cu. in. 727 auto trans

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'
post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
bbgbouncer

(Thread Starter)
@K-Ray thanks for the help. I dont have a diagram. I will look one up. Thanks to you it is working better. Im still concerned about the high voltage. but im going to be upgrading the alternator and putting an HEI ignition on it here soon. Ill see how it it works then.

1973 W100 360 4-spd
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in