Backup Camera Install - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 11 Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
K1135

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Backup Camera Install

So looking through the internet I didn't find any good placement for a backup camera. There was one where they mounted it into the spoiler but I didnt like the fact I had to drill into the metal to feed the wire through. The 4th gen trucks has has the camera in the handle which gives it a perfect angle so I mounted mine inside the handle. It only sticks out slightly, you have to really look at it to tell its there, when mounted on the truck it give that perfect viewing angle (more pics when completed) of the hitch and surrounding area.

The camera I chose was Esky EC170-25

the reason I chose it was because there a button that you can change pretty much everything on the camera. You can change whether you want the guide lines on or off and you can change the picture whether you want it upside down mirror or normal image. All those features and it cost me 15 Bucks off ebay or amazon has it for under 30.

Now comes the monitor. I have a nav unit and I didnt want to change the radio just for a backup camera. Lock pick was out of the question because I read issues with airbag lights and I cant justifie the cost just so I can make the camera work and plus I wouldn't use all of those feature they have anyways. I bought a rear view mirror monitor, not the one that clips on but the one you replace and looks factory.

The mirror I bought was a Boyo VTW43M which feature 2 video inputs one for backup and im planning on using the other input for a camera up front and miracast which is great so if the wife want to show me something on the road while she in the backseat with the kids she could just beam it up to the mirror and you can change the guide line by moving it farther or closer longer or shorter. The mirror with shipping cost me 144.

Once the snow melts ill run the wires and finish the install and give you guys a full update
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170108_183113.jpg (1.10 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20170110_164751.jpg (759.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20170110_164819.jpg (1.01 MB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20170110_222235.jpg (1.01 MB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20170110_221745.jpg (735.7 KB, 44 views)
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 AM
btg0002
War Eagle!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
looks good. I mounted mine in the spoiler, and that location works, but only if you don't have a locking tailgate. the lock on my tailgate is right where your camera is. when you get it completed, throw some pictures up of the final viewing angle

TRUCK: 2007 RC/SB 1500 ST with the 3.7 v6
PERFORMANCE: l jba shortie headers l hypertech max power programmer l Jet 180 tstat l e3 spark plugs l K&N CAI l magnaflow cat back dual exhaust l fastman ported TB l RP engine oil and rear diff fluid l bluetooth ODBII adapter for Torque app l
SUSPENSION: l 3 inch lift spindles l 2 inch coil spacer l bilstein 4600 shocks front l monroe load leveling shocks rear l TGC 1.5" rear lift blocks l 5" total lift front, 2.5" total lift rear l
APPEARANCE: l rhino lined bed l tonnomax tri fold bed cover l bed lined fender flares, rockers, bumpers l big mouth rivet grille l led tail lights l lamin-x tails and 3rd l led everything l HID heads and fogs l HID reverse lights l led reverse flood lights l debadged l hood spears l tinted windows l audio system l black headlights l black billet 15" stubby antenna l daytona tail light covers l
WHEELS/TIRES:l 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler l OEM 17s plastidipped black l
post #3 of 11 Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
K1135

(Thread Starter)
Finished Install

So I finially got a chance to finish the install. Whats great is that I can adjust the parking lines to where I want them.

2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab HEMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-30-2017, 10:12 PM
bigjohnshog

Garage
I like the mirror. I've been wanting to get one but never figured I have a need for it
post #5 of 11 Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
K1135

(Thread Starter)
Its one of those things that once you have it your like why I didnt do it sooner. I love it so far and it looks like the factory auto dimming mirror. cant beat that.

2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab HEMI
post #6 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 05:21 PM
ECONORAM
Acts 2:38-39

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Thank you for sharing this. I've been mulling one of these over for a while, especially since I have a bed topper. I am guessing the 4th gen tailgate handle won't fit? I didn't know they had that available. I had seen them in Toyota Tundra tailgates, but I'm not sure how well that'd fit either.
Nothing a hot soldering iron and some elbow grease can't fix though!

(formerly daveb673)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Inferno Red Quad Cab 4.7L Flex-Fuel 2wd w/545RFE -- LEER XR topper -- Filtermag SS375 --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(now
)--
and "Basking Shark" filter box-- POWERTRAX Lock-Rite --
--
(deleted) -- HO cams -- and now...a cabin air filter!!

2019 Jeep Cherokee -- 2008 Silver Steel Avenger 2.4L 4cyl w/dogomatic [sold] --
-- Filtermag SS300
RETIRED -- me

2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, LA & 75th Air Base Wing, Tinker AFB, OK--my sons

--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
K1135

(Thread Starter)
Yea 4th Gen won't work that's why u modified my 3rd gen handle. Don't regret it, it's awesome being able to look behind you while backing up and at night since I have dark tint

This is the back of the handle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170108_183132_1487204983234.jpg (500.0 KB, 23 views)
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 07:54 PM
ECONORAM
Acts 2:38-39

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
That pictures helps. If I go this route, I think I'll cut a hole for the camera to fit in, and plastic weld a berm all the way around the opening to stabilize it. Or just squirt RTV around it...

(formerly daveb673)

2007 Inferno Red Quad Cab 4.7L Flex-Fuel 2wd w/545RFE -- LEER XR topper -- Filtermag SS375 --
(now
)--
and "Basking Shark" filter box-- POWERTRAX Lock-Rite --
--
(deleted) -- HO cams -- and now...a cabin air filter!!

2019 Jeep Cherokee -- 2008 Silver Steel Avenger 2.4L 4cyl w/dogomatic [sold] --
-- Filtermag SS300
RETIRED -- me

2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, LA & 75th Air Base Wing, Tinker AFB, OK--my sons

--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
K1135

(Thread Starter)
I used a little bit of rtv so the camera doesn't swivel down. It's been working ever since, no matter how hard I slam the tail gate it stays put and if the camera goes bad it's easy to pry off.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 AM
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Mine was mounted on a license plate bracket and there has a small LCD screen next to my rear view mirror. I really liked but it died on me. So everything was removed when it just wouldn't stay fixed and working. A new one is on the 'To Do' list but which one is the question now since this is the third unit that has failed.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 91K/3588hrs, 4.56 R&P/DTT, Sonnax Line Booster, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer-case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

post #11 of 11 Old 02-25-2017, 08:52 PM
mrfsilver08ram

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Nice mod and write-up!

Completed Mods: Night Runner Grille, Tinted tails and 3rd, Wheel well liners, 2014 stock sport 20" rims, Weathertech in-channel side window deflectors, K&N intake, Painted handles, mirrors and headlights, RER radio.
In progress: Night Runner headlights
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in