98 Ram 1500 Shift Problems - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
DrDanthrax99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
98 Ram 1500 Shift Problems

Hello all, new guy here.
I recently had a friend give me a 98 Ram 1500 as a gift, but it has a transmission issue.
I can shift manually through all the gears on the selector, and they even engage, including reverse, but
when I actually go to drive, I will not shift out of 1st gear and I top out at a break-neck 27 miles per hour (downhill) before the RPM becomes dangerously high.
I only know the speed because I had someone follow me, the speedometer doesn't work, the odometer is stuck, and I have an ABS light.
My transmission fluid is red, looks like it could be old but isn't burnt, and there are no metal fragments in it.

In my own research on the possible things it could be, I've come across everything from bad solenoids to a faulty speed sensor, to the TCM being shot.
I'm far from a mechanic, I can do basic repairs and mods by myself but nothing of this magnitude. I'm looking around my area for shops to call, and I'd like to go into it armed with a little more knowledge than the average bear so I avoid fixing what isn't broke and being overcharged.
It has the 5.9L Magnum V8 and a 46RE transmission.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Moparite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
And check engine codes?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
DrDanthrax99

(Thread Starter)
Got it done, ended up being the ABS and input speed sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-05-2017, 10:20 PM
OldBoy97

Similar but different question.(I'm a newb here and just learning the page.) I picked up, from Craigslist(I can hear the moans!), a '97 Dodge 1500 Hemi with a plow mounted. Being that I live in the mountains of Colorado, I wanted to be ready to face the winter weather head-on. Picked it up in July. Drove it up from Golden. By the time I got home, she was running warm. I had a friend tell me it is common for plow mounted trucks. Coolant seemed to relax the temp. gauge.

Parked her in the back 40 and didn't pay her much attention other than going out and starting her monthly to keep things lubed.

Fast-forward to November and December...I got her going and wanted to practice a bit in advance of a storm rolling in. The previous 3 inches wasn't a nuisance but would allow for a practice run. After 2 passes, I stopped to put it in reverse. Let out the clutch...NOTHING. First gear....NOTHING. The engine is running just fine. It goes in gear without hesitation. No grinding noises. No foul smells. I attempted to find and check the tranny fluid. Based on local Dodge dealer and internet pictures....it's supposed to be in the engine compartment, right behind the glove box. Damned if I can find the s.o.b.! I call in reinforcements. He looks...NOTHING. Climbs under the vehicle. There is an empty hole on the right side of the tranny body. Looks like a bolt or screw would go in there.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? I ordered a Chilton manual so I can see exploded views of all the systems. I don't want to pour more $$$ in to a lemon, but I need a plow truck.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in