1984 Dodge Ram, converting to HEI upgrade info - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 6 Old 11-21-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Jim Robbins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1984 Dodge Ram, converting to HEI upgrade info

1984 Dodge Ram 3.l L, 225 CI, Slant 6, "THE LEANING TOWER OF POWER" needs engine upgrade / removing the Lean burn Computer System (scrap Emissions crap & converting to HEI UPGRADE (?).
I think all is original under the hood. This change to the Slant 6 has been done thousands of times. I'm looking for information about "How to do the HEI upgrade" ?
What parts are needed (part numbers if possible), A ball park idea on the Parts & Labor (I will find a Mechanic that has Done this before!) costs ? How will the 1984 pick-up be changed?
How will the fuel consumption be? Are there other things that HAVE to also be changed / done during this upgrade. What are the PRO'S & CON'S?
Items I have changed on engine : Coil, Plugs, Rotor & Cap, Air & Fuel Filters, Belts, PVC Valve, Oil & filter. Want to change, Starter, Timing (?), Carburetor rebuild.
Any and all information , advice and suggestions would be great! I do Not Know the Engine History. Thank-you. Jim
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 AM
maachine

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
if you're ditching the lean burn computer, you need to upgrade the carb as well as the ignition.

hei upgrade is simple. should help with fuel consumption.

1987 Dodge W-150 "The Beast"
some sort of lift
33" AT's
LA 360 bored .030 over, EQ Magnum heads, Hooker Headers, true dual exhaust, Holley 4160 w/Truck Avenger parts, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake, StreetFire ignition box & MSD coil
208 t-case/727A trans w/3.23 gears
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Jim Robbins

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
maachine, tell me more please (rookie) The 1 barrel carb has to go, and what a 2 bbl?
and the ignition, what all has to be done Do you know whereI can get a step by step walk-through for the non experienced mach.? Even if I take the detailed instructions to a
"Old School Mach." Help please and thank-you! Jim Robbins [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Moparite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
HEI is NO upgrade! Lateral move at best, Only thing you are doing is getting rid of the wiring. You want a real upgrade get MSD6A!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2016, 07:55 PM
maachine

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
i agree with moparite. msd6a. but they are spendy compared to a simple HEI upgrade. i am not all that familiar with slant sixes or the one barrel carb. but if you look at your carb it should have a solenoid with two wires going to it. thats how the lean burn computer controls the carb. if it doesnt have that solenoid you dont have to worry about changing it.

there should be plenty of wiring diagrams online to show you how to wire up an HEI unit. i believe there is a sticky post in the forum somewhere that is detailed and explains it

1987 Dodge W-150 "The Beast"
some sort of lift
33" AT's
LA 360 bored .030 over, EQ Magnum heads, Hooker Headers, true dual exhaust, Holley 4160 w/Truck Avenger parts, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake, StreetFire ignition box & MSD coil
208 t-case/727A trans w/3.23 gears
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Warlock's Dad

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Not sure what you plan to do but but check out Cliffords (I think) for slant 6 improvements. It looks to be mostly bolt-on improvements (for starters).

Wanda - 1978 Shortbed Warlock clone
1972 318 w/ lock-up 727 (not the 360 advertised)
In her 2-3 life - too many new parts to list
Poly steering "rag joint" and steering box braced
Poly mounts/bushings, springs & suspension parts
Upgraded cooling & fans
Front Sway Bar added
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in