trailer lights not working right - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
tom85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
trailer lights not working right

so the other day i hooked up me trailer and the brake lights turn signals all work but when i turned on my driving light i had no trailer light. Its the 4 prong connection. Any ideas? Thanks

=======================================
GAS IS ON THE RIGHT BRAKES ARE FOR SISSYS
05 Dodge Ram 1500 qc HEMI 4x4
4x4 truck club #69
twiggy HID light club #18
-K&N cold air in take, superchips flash paq, MBRP single out cat back, 180 deg thermostat, projector head lights, HID 8000k head lights and fog lights, thundervolt shorty plug wires, helper springs, hemi decals, blue led dome and map lights, pacesetter long tube headers and y pipe,ready lift and procomp 35" AT

Last edited by tom85; 06-27-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 PM
jerry cole

check trailer wiring on truck plug, left turn, right turn, taillight, and ground. if they work correctly problem with trailer.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Big Thirsty

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fuse under hood called "trailer lights".

2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 gasser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
tom85

(Thread Starter)
ill check both when i get home but its weird that it works with driving lights off then when i turn the lights on the trailer lights dont work

=======================================
GAS IS ON THE RIGHT BRAKES ARE FOR SISSYS
05 Dodge Ram 1500 qc HEMI 4x4
4x4 truck club #69
twiggy HID light club #18
-K&N cold air in take, superchips flash paq, MBRP single out cat back, 180 deg thermostat, projector head lights, HID 8000k head lights and fog lights, thundervolt shorty plug wires, helper springs, hemi decals, blue led dome and map lights, pacesetter long tube headers and y pipe,ready lift and procomp 35" AT
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Big Thirsty

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Figure it out? I had the same problem you mentionsed and about pulled my hair out untill someone mentioned there was a seperate fuse for the trailer lights.

2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 gasser.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 AM
mikereidjr
Technology Handyman

Send a message via AIM to mikereidjr
Depending on where you live the 4 pin connector on the bottom of the bumper could me corroded as all get out. Also it sounds to me like you have a ground issue on the trailer itself.

Check to make sure all the lights are grounded right, I had to run grounds from the connector on the trailer to the rear lights to get the running lights to work right on my wave runner trailer.

Mike

Mine = 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX QC 4x4 HEMI
Hers = 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 HEMI
post #7 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
ulyssesortiz

Did you ever find out what was wrong with the truck? I have this exact problem and I cant find the problem...
post #8 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 PM
wixthedog
That guy

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
A multimeter or even a test light will tell you everything you need to know.

Mike AKA: WixTheDog

2015 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab Laramie - 4x4- Deep Cherry Red
Stock...
2014 Dodge Durango R/T - 2WD - Redline2
Stock soccer mom car

2014 Mega 2500 = 2014 Crew Cab 3500 = 2013 Crew Cab 3500 = 2007 Quad Cab 2500 = 2003 Quad Cab 1500
post #9 of 11 Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Kin-Slayer

I have had that problem with almost every tow vehicle I ever had. It is the ground on your truck. Most likely corroded or not installed properly.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-19-2016, 06:29 PM
materialboy5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thirsty View Post
Figure it out? I had the same problem you mentionsed and about pulled my hair out untill someone mentioned there was a seperate fuse for the trailer lights.
Where is the fuse for the trailer light? I have the same issues and I have a 2011 dodge ram 1500
post #11 of 11 Old 10-29-2016, 05:57 PM
501Cummings

Ok, If on a straight wired trailer like a cargo or flat bed or boat trailer or some travel trailers where the battery on board the trailer doesn't help power the lights.....Then this is 9 times out of 10 a ground issue. The ground connection is just good enough to run the break lights etc but when adding the load of the running lights, the ground "snaps" and all the lights go out. This can easily be assessed buy taking a piece of wire and either through alligator clips or using a clean bolt area to ground from and running the wire in the same manner to the trailer. This makes a better clean ground and the lights should then all work. Now if you have a ground wire running from your trailer plug on the tow vehicle to the trailer, you need to clean up where it connects to the trailer frame or run a new ground. In ball hitch trailers where it is grounded through the ball, you need to run a good ground wire from your tow rig to your trailer.

If the fuses are blowing then the same thing can be happening above and the same assessment can be done with a clean ground. If the ground doesn't fix the problem of blowing fuses, then it is most likely a short in the trailer wire where the positive side is hitting the ground. This could be in the wires or in the light it's self. This will be a long process and I would start by pulling the bulbs. Then turn on the lights and if the line blows it is most likely a bad wire. If not then start putting in bulbs till the fuse blows then you know which socket is bad.

If you have a trailer that the batteries in the trailer help the trailer lights (usually longer trailers or 5th wheels) then god help you because it could be any number of things. Best bet is to get a good battery, separate from your tow vehicle, and set it next to the trailer plug on the trailer and start plugging (FUSED) wires in and see what blows and how.

With in my friends and family we have about 20 trailers of all types and I am the only guy that knows wiring. I can't begin to tell you the horror stories.

2003 24V HO white 3500 duely Laramie package. Full banks 6 gun bundle, Intercooler and ram air intake kits. Tuned at banks 501 RWHP on #6 setting with out propane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Exhaust brake and lock up torque converter. SnuglidSL or 2003 Lance 11.5 camper towing 23' Striper boat. I love Cummins.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in