DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tired of the flowmaster drone--

1K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  MR YOON 
#1 ·
I want to change to a magnaflow. I have factory single in (3") i think and 2.5 duals out. Which muffler should i order?

#2 ·
I just got magnaflow, but for the life of me I can't figure out which muffler they put on... they gave me a part number that didn't exist and then I looked at the muffler under the truck yesterday and it didn't say anything on it so I don't know what I have.

My point is, I'm happy with my magnaflow. There is no drone, and it sounds like a beast. Good luck with your changes

#5 ·
Funny thing is--I put on the flowmaster before I got the superchip and the drone was terrible at 55mph. After I installed the chip, it moved to 65 mph--right where i cruise all the time, so I have to run my truck in 3rd(tow) to make it quiet in the truck. I never figured how the chip made the drone move in the rpm range! lol

#6 ·
Get the 14251. I like mine. It just sounds different enough, but no overbearing.

#8 ·
There is a simple solution to solve all drone problems. Install a big stereo. Then you cant hear the drone!!!

#11 ·
chipraider77 writes:
I got the superchip and the drone was terrible at 55mph. After I installed the chip, it moved to 65 mph--right where i cruise all the time, so I have to run my truck in 3rd(tow) to make it quiet in the truck. I never figured how the chip made the drone move in the rpm range! lol
----

The tailpipe from the muffler outlet back to the open end tip is kinda like a musical instrument - like a flute or 'pipe organ'

The 'drone' is the 'note' that is being played. The sound of this musical 'note' depends on the tailpipe length - but it also depends on the temperature of the exhaust gas inside the tailpipe.

Your Superchips changes both the ignition timing and the air to fuel ratio. These two changes in turn change the temperature of the exhaust gas. Since your drone went up from 55 rpm to 65 rpm - your exhaust gas got cooler.

You should also hear the 'drone' change as you start up a hill at a constant speed
(exhaust gas gets hotter as the throttle opens)
- or go down a hill at a constant speed
(exhaust gas gets cooler).

Listen for this and I bet you will hear it.

Just like a flute has holes to change notes,
if you were to drill holes in your exhaust pipe to let some of the gas get out before the tip, the drone would change sound too.

#13 ·
HankL said:
chipraider77 writes:
I got the superchip and the drone was terrible at 55mph. After I installed the chip, it moved to 65 mph--right where i cruise all the time, so I have to run my truck in 3rd(tow) to make it quiet in the truck. I never figured how the chip made the drone move in the rpm range! lol
----

The tailpipe from the muffler outlet back to the open end tip is kinda like a musical instrument - like a flute or 'pipe organ'

The 'drone' is the 'note' that is being played. The sound of this musical 'note' depends on the tailpipe length - but it also depends on the temperature of the exhaust gas inside the tailpipe.

Your Superchips changes both the ignition timing and the air to fuel ratio. These two changes in turn change the temperature of the exhaust gas. Since your drone went up from 55 rpm to 65 rpm - your exhaust gas got cooler.

You should also hear the 'drone' change as you start up a hill at a constant speed
(exhaust gas gets hotter as the throttle opens)
- or go down a hill at a constant speed
(exhaust gas gets cooler).

Listen for this and I bet you will hear it.

Just like a flute has holes to change notes,
if you were to drill holes in your exhaust pipe to let some of the gas get out before the tip, the drone would change sound too.
I'd have to agree. I played the girlie instrument for 6 years and I was actually really good at it.. :D

#14 ·
nice analysis. never thought of it that way

#15 ·
40 series! wanna buy it?

#16 ·
chipraider77 said:
nice analysis. never thought of it that way
Chip, instead of getting another muffler try to do what you can with the current one. Yours exits to the rear correct? I'd try dumping it right after the muffler. Mine was like yours, exit rear of the truck, and then i decided to cut it right after the muffler. HUGE (not overstatement) difference in sound. But remember I'm not saying it will have the same effect because of course the variables involved such as, pipe length, type of muffler, etc. Like Hank said, length and temperature of the exhaust makes the difference in tone. Anyway, for me it made the sound MUCH DEEPER and I do have drone but it's a low C# which is hardly audible. It's not like the drone you're describing.
So do what you can with your current one first. CUT them off!

#17 ·
I know what you are saying--mine exits at the corners of the bumper. I guess I could cut it at the muffler and see if that helps--then put a 2 outlet chrome dump in front of the tire. If thats not good, i can get the magnaflow and put it all back together.

#20 ·
I keep reading about this drone problem with the Flowmaster series exhaust and for the life of me I can't understand what all the fuss is about. I have a true-dual Flowmaster 40 series exhaust on my 2006 Ram 1500 w/MDS Hemi. I have never had any sort of drone or obnoxious sound since I had mine installed...only the deep gratrifying rumble when I launch. Could it be due to the MDS engine that I don't have the same problems as some of you are? My exhaust dumps right after the rear wheels at a 45 degree angle.

Tim

#21 ·
Mine drones horribly at 2K rpm. Right were I drive at

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.