DodgeTalk Forum banner

Door droop... what to do?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  blasirl 
#1 ·
The driver's door of my '87 B350 is drooping badly. It's wearing away both the striker pin in the door jamb and the guide on the latch mechanism. And maybe other things I can't see.

Is this common?

Is there a fix?

I'm thinking of putting the floor jack under the back of it when nearly closed, with timber to spread the load of course, and putting a load under it to force it back up. But I wonder whether this will just put a dent in the part of the door where the hinge is bolted on which will then just pop out again.

Any experiences among other owners out there?

Any suggestions... all would be appreciated.

#7 ·
I have an old AMC that the doors sagged really bad. I rebuilt the hinges with new bushings and pins and they operate like brand new now. Hardest part was getting the door back on and aligned properly. My doors were very long and heavy and required a door dolly to get them back on correctly.

Before you take them off to rebuild the hinges, try and figure out a way to support the door while open so you can put the hinges back on. I would mark the hinges where they are now if you think they are still in the same place as when the door worked.

Good Luck

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.