E3 Spark Plugs - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 30 Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
newdodgeguy23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question E3 Spark Plugs

Ok so I had an 01 silverado with chevy's 4.3L v6 in it and I ran the E3's in it and it helped with fuel mileage by 2-3 mpg's so I was wondering if anybody has run them in their trucks and have they noticed a difference? I have a 99 with the 318 and am trying to get some more mpg's out of it I know that i won't get much but every little bit helps i just put new exaust on my truck and my cold air intake should be here in about a week? does anybody know of anything else i could do to help boost mileage?
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
mini_squared

I run the E3's and have seen a 1-2MPG increase. I didn't notice it right away. But afteri got my SCT tuner from hemifever here on dodgetalk it jumped. Something else I did was fixed my plenum gasket. Didn't think it could/would have made such a difference.... but it did. I would do that first even if it doesn't "need" to be done. Hughes sells a good kit or you can make one if you have the right tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcelhannon View Post
I tried to take a picture but my cell phone couldn't believe it either.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 AM
V-10 GUY

I find it hard to believe that a certain brand of spark plug gave you a 2-3 mpg improvement. I have a 4.3 in a Blazer. Maybe replacing wore out plugs with new plugs would do it. If a certain brand of plug could do that kind of mileage improvement everybody including the manufactures would use them. That would improve the CAFE ratings real cheap for the manufactures. Every new car gets a 2-3 mpg jump.
I,m a retired mechanic & what I know is the only way to get any noticeable improvements out of computer vehicles is to be able to change the computer perimeters. Which is what the poster did with a SCT Tuner. That is where the mileage came from is my bet.
I have played with cold air intakes & exhaust on my Blazer 4x4 & my Jeep GC 5.9 Limited I keep very close records of gas & mileage & those items made them sound better which makes you feel like they are faster & but the truth is all I gained was a loss of low end torque on my Chevy. NO GAIN on my 5.9 Limited. I have also toyed with them with an 04 Trailblazer 4x4, 02 Dakota 4x4, & a 92 Ford Ranger 4x4.
There is an old saying that us oldtimers know well, more air in, more exhaust out, more gas used. If you ever get around tuners, guys that do flow work etc. you'll find out that these computer vehicles get more air intake with STOCK intakes & filters than they can use. If you opened the MASS AIR METER on a GM wide open even in WOT the vehicle would die because of too much air.

Last edited by V-10 GUY; 09-07-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM
ScojoDak
Dakota for life!

I switched to E3's a couple of years ago. They smoothed up the idle. With regard to mileage gain/loss, cant tell you. I have a heavy right foot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing!
post #5 of 30 Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
newdodgeguy23

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-10 GUY View Post
I find it hard to believe that a certain brand of spark plug gave you a 2-3 mpg improvement. I have a 4.3 in a Blazer. Maybe replacing wore out plugs with new plugs would do it. If a certain brand of plug could do that kind of mileage improvement everybody including the manufactures would use them. That would improve the CAFE ratings real cheap for the manufactures. Every new car gets a 2-3 mpg jump.
I,m a retired mechanic & what I know is the only way to get any noticeable improvements out of computer vehicles is to be able to change the computer perimeters. Which is what the poster did with a SCT Tuner. That is where the mileage came from is my bet.
I have played with cold air intakes & exhaust on my Blazer 4x4 & my Jeep GC 5.9 Limited I keep very close records of gas & mileage & those items made them sound better which makes you feel like they are faster & but the truth is all I gained was a loss of low end torque on my Chevy. NO GAIN on my 5.9 Limited. I have also toyed with them with an 04 Trailblazer 4x4, 02 Dakota 4x4, & a 92 Ford Ranger 4x4.
There is an old saying that us oldtimers know well, more air in, more exhaust out, more gas used. If you ever get around tuners, guys that do flow work etc. you'll find out that these computer vehicles get more air intake with STOCK intakes & filters than they can use. If you opened the MASS AIR METER on a GM wide open even in WOT the vehicle would die because of too much air.
So a tuner is the best bet to go for fuel milage?
post #6 of 30 Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM
charlie1935

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScojoDak View Post
I switched to E3's a couple of years ago. They smoothed up the idle. With regard to mileage gain/loss, cant tell you. I have a heavy right foot.
Just new plugs will do that most of time.

Grouchy Old Man
Sport short bed
R&S Automotive cat back duals
SSBC slotted rotors
Tri wing tonneau cover
Ultra 50/51 16x10 wheels
265 70x16 Firestone Destination LE tires
3.55 rear
99-01 sport headlights with Silverstar bulbs
MSD coil
Fram Boost intake -Freebie. I won it
Edelbrock shocks
Yes, grandpas like toys too

87 D100 318 auto. stock

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #7 of 30 Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
96magnumram

Yeah, I think it's safe to say the tuner is responsible for the mileage increase rather than the plugs...
post #8 of 30 Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 PM
V-10 GUY

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdodgeguy23 View Post
So a tuner is the best bet to go for fuel milage?
That would be one of my choices. My wife's cousins boyfriend is a computer tech for a Dodge dealer in Nevada. He feels that the best way to go if you can or know a dealers computer tech guy is to have your computer flashed with the latest updates from Dodge. That is cheaper than a tuner but doesn't allow you to reset or change settings. He told me the other day when we were talking about tuners that he has seen some problems arise from using aftermarket tuners. But I'm not sure I completely agree. But he is a very good mechanic & is well respected in the dealership.
I have not invested in a tuner. I keep thinking I'm going to buy a SuperChip for my Jeep GC 5.9 Limited. I want to be able to run 87 octane vs 91. The superChip gives that option. But so does a Factory Flash from the dealership. I can have the computer flashed for about $90 from the dealership & have my friend do the work. So I'm undecided which way to go but I'm leaning toward the SuperChip just because I like to play.
I'm a firm believer that air intakes & exhaust are a waste of money & time, unless it is ready to be changed because a cat is plugged or muffler rotted out, then I will go aftermarket if I can.
I had a very bad experience with K&N Filters that could of cost me two engines.
It you want a aftermarket filter then AirRaid is the best IMO. But all that they did when I ran & tested various filter (Unofficially) was save money on buying paper filters because at the time in 04 the Trailblazer air filters were $30 for paper & I believe the AirRaid was $60.
I have a story if your interested in taking a few more minutes to read. I bought an old County truck that was a Forest Service truck when it began life. It was an 88 Dodge D250 360, 4 speed, 4:10 gears, 2wd, with 89,000 miles on it. I drove it 300 miles home & got 13.5 mpg @65 mph. Well when I got it home the exhaust was so so. I took it to the local muffler shop & had duals put on. Surely I can get the mileage up a little. Then the Q-Jet was leaking gas so I overhauled it & sealed the dashpots that were leaking. I put in a new air filter & tuned it up. Well all this should get me up to 15 mpg? NO it went from 13.5 to 10.5 mpg. What??? So I decided to change out the 4:10s for 3:55 gears. So I found a set on Ebay & bought & changed them out. This has to help right???? No then it went to 10 mpg where it stayed for a year until I sold it. So go figure that out. Myself & a few of my mechanic buddies stood around many times scratching our you know what trying to figure it out. It has been over three years & we still joke about it. The joke really came to life when I bought this 99 2500 4x4 V-10 5 speed. I'm afraid to change out the dirty air filter because I can get 14 mpg at best now.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 AM
BigGreenV10
Big Green

14 MPG I am jealous my V10 sucks. I agree plugs should not have allowed fuel millage gains like that unless they were wore not firing correctly or efficiently then maybe but I don't see gains from one set of plugs to another. At not enough to have me run out and buy 10 dollar plugs for a V10.

POWDER COAT CLUB MEMBER #1
DON'T TOUCH OUR TRUCK CLUB #2
GREEN TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #31
V10 RAM CLUB MEMBER # 35
MILITARY TRUCK CLUB #147
CRACKED DASH CLUB # 32

2000 2500 V10 4x4 Ext. cab 6" suspension 37 x 12.5 x 16.5 with 4.88 gears.
SCT tuner, Cold air and custom exhaust.
Tail lights, fuel filler door and tail gate handle shaved. Body color fiberglass bed cover and fender flares. Custom all steel 4" cowl hood, custom front bumper.
100% Xtreme Kreations Club President looking for members

post #10 of 30 Old 09-08-2011, 10:34 AM
OldBettsey

my brothers v10 gets anywhere from 8-12mpg's. over the weekend i did 14.5 in my 5.2 mixture of hiway and city driving.

1998 Ram 1500 5.2L 147K miles
post #11 of 30 Old 09-08-2011, 04:20 PM
V-10 GUY

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenV10 View Post
14 MPG I am jealous my V10 sucks. I agree plugs should not have allowed fuel millage gains like that unless they were wore not firing correctly or efficiently then maybe but I don't see gains from one set of plugs to another. At not enough to have me run out and buy 10 dollar plugs for a V10.
The best I have got was 14.4 mpg running from San Jose CA to the Sierras. I believe my avg will be more in the 12s.
Pulling my 9000# travel trailer lets look at 6-7s.
But we didn't buy the V-10 for gas mileage, we have a Honda Civic for that. I'm real happy with the V-10 & the Dodge. It is a big step up from our 86 Ford 4x4 460/C-6. The Dodge is an economy/luxury truck in comparison.
post #12 of 30 Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM
mini_squared

before all you old grumpy pucker's flame me too much here. I'm NOT saying the spark plugs increased my mileage by themselves. I will agree the SCT made the biggest difference out of everything I've done so far. These particular plugs just happen to be what I'm running with my current setup.

When you go from 12.xx MPG DOWN TO 8.2 over the course of a month. It makes you think about WTF is going on and one of the first things I did WAS the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and coil which brought me back over 10MPG. Thats why I said I saw a 1-2 MPG increase just from the plugs.

After the plugs where installed was the plugged CAT and the blown out plenum gasket. Gave me all my pep back and took my up to 13.4 MPG. Then came the SCT which has my last tank at 15.2MPG.

Quote:
post #13 of 30 Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 PM
BigGreenV10
Big Green

Right I am not flaming if you change out a set of worn faulty fouled plugs then a millage increase is possible even to that extreme. WHat I am saying is one brand over another new plug will not cause those gains. When the OP is buying plugs for a V8 or V10 that can add up to quite a bit more and I was saying for what?

POWDER COAT CLUB MEMBER #1
DON'T TOUCH OUR TRUCK CLUB #2
GREEN TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #31
V10 RAM CLUB MEMBER # 35
MILITARY TRUCK CLUB #147
CRACKED DASH CLUB # 32

2000 2500 V10 4x4 Ext. cab 6" suspension 37 x 12.5 x 16.5 with 4.88 gears.
SCT tuner, Cold air and custom exhaust.
Tail lights, fuel filler door and tail gate handle shaved. Body color fiberglass bed cover and fender flares. Custom all steel 4" cowl hood, custom front bumper.
100% Xtreme Kreations Club President looking for members

post #14 of 30 Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 AM
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Be very careful with the E3 plugs. They only lasted 500-miles in my truck and then I had all kinds of problems with missing and my mileage went south fast.

... E3's are crap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E3 Odd Plug Tips.JPG (149.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg E3 Odd Plugs.JPG (158.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg E3 Even Plug Tips.JPG (145.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg E3 Even Plugs.JPG (150.6 KB, 0 views)

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 91K/3588hrs, 4.56 R&P/DTT, Sonnax Line Booster, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer-case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

post #15 of 30 Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 AM
CARL2206

Were's the rest of the ground electrode on plug 2? Look's to be missing some metal there. I run the stock champion's with zero issue's and i get 30k out of a 1.50 plug.

If you opened the MASS AIR METER on a GM wide open even in WOT the vehicle would die because of too much air.

How do you do this? There is no butterfly's or a linkage to open up on a mass air meter. As the name implies it only measures the mass of the incoming air flow. Just wondering because my brother in laws sister's boyfriend's uncle on his dad's side told me thats how a mass flow meter work's.
post #16 of 30 Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 AM
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARL2206 View Post
Were's the rest of the ground electrode on plug 2? Look's to be missing some metal there. I run the stock champion's with zero issue's and i get 30k out of a 1.50 plug.

We thought we had bigger problems and found the plugs like that when the heads were pulled. The engine had had cams installed just 500-miles before the heads were pulled so those plugs only have about 500-miles on them. With the heads off, everything was checked and nothing was found. My guess, it's pressed against the face of the catalytic converter.

Be my brain-fart didn't end there. I replaced the E3's with Bosch P4's! Again, the truck ran great for about 1000-miles and now I'm getting 6 to 8-mpg. I'm hoping to have those replaced with the stock truck plugs before the end of the month. I just pray I did hurt any of the coils.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 91K/3588hrs, 4.56 R&P/DTT, Sonnax Line Booster, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer-case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

post #17 of 30 Old 09-09-2011, 01:57 AM
V-10 GUY

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_squared View Post
before all you old grumpy pucker's flame me too much here. I'm NOT saying the spark plugs increased my mileage by themselves. I will agree the SCT made the biggest difference out of everything I've done so far. These particular plugs just happen to be what I'm running with my current setup.

When you go from 12.xx MPG DOWN TO 8.2 over the course of a month. It makes you think about WTF is going on and one of the first things I did WAS the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and coil which brought me back over 10MPG. Thats why I said I saw a 1-2 MPG increase just from the plugs.

After the plugs where installed was the plugged CAT and the blown out plenum gasket. Gave me all my pep back and took my up to 13.4 MPG. Then came the SCT which has my last tank at 15.2MPG.
You might of answered a question I was going to ask. Are you running a stock V-10? What trans? What year? 2 or 4 wheel drive?
I want to know what the real figures are if I was to add a SCT Tuner to my 99 2500 4x4 V-10 5 speed 3:54 gears.
So you are telling me you are seeing a real 2-3 mpg with just a SCT tuner.
Again I'm asking before I buy I would like to get REAL figures from you guys running that tuner. I'm having a hard time getting consistent mileage figures because I live in the mountains & it is all up or down or both from 4000 to 8000 ft. of elevation
I believe I agreed with replacing wore out plugs could do that in an earlier post. But as stated by Big Green V10 I'm with him all the way on this subject so far.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 AM
charlie1935

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Those plugs look very similar to the SA Fire injectors that J.C. Whitney sold 30 or 40 years ago.

Grouchy Old Man
Sport short bed
R&S Automotive cat back duals
SSBC slotted rotors
Tri wing tonneau cover
Ultra 50/51 16x10 wheels
265 70x16 Firestone Destination LE tires
3.55 rear
99-01 sport headlights with Silverstar bulbs
MSD coil
Fram Boost intake -Freebie. I won it
Edelbrock shocks
Yes, grandpas like toys too

87 D100 318 auto. stock

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #19 of 30 Old 09-09-2011, 02:41 PM
mini_squared

Stupid Internet!!! Need to repost later or tomorrow.

Quote:

Last edited by mini_squared; 09-09-2011 at 02:52 PM.
post #20 of 30 Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 PM
DODGEPICKUP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ill stick with the champion plugs... with the JACOBS ignition i can get 20k from a 1.88 plug.....

1999 RAM 1500SPORT QC 4X4 5.9 3.55's grrrr
360 MAGNUM POWER 165,000 MILES DYNOED 230/290 ON 35'S
1.7 CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS
DIY CUT,PORTED,EPOXY FILLED KEGGER/ALUMINUM PLENUM PLATE,53MM THROTTLE BODY
JACOBS PRO STREET CD IGNITION
BOSCH DESIGN 3'S 24LBS VETTE INJECTORS
MOPAR P DOUG THORLEY TRI-Y'S
TAYLOR 8.2 THUNDERVOLT WIRE'S
EBC ROTORS N PADS,RUSSELL SS BRAKE HOSES
MARCH UNDERDRIVE CRANK PULLEY
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR
HELL BENT STEEL 2IN SPACER/SKJ LCA
WINNDEKAR/DSS STEERING BRACE
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in