When to replace bushings? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 2 Old 03-26-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
rebelram01
Silver Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
When to replace bushings?

Do the various rubber bushings on a truck need to be replaced as soon as they start cracking? Some of them look pretty bad, but others have just a few cracks. I'm guessing new bushings would help the truck ride better. Also, is it worth the extra money to get the energy suspension ones? Thanks
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-26-2006, 07:11 PM
QCRam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's uually really bad for rubber bushings is getting constantly soaked in oil and going mushy, unless they're getting flexed a lot cracking usually isn't too bad. The control arm bushings on mine were a little cracked almost from new, and are well cracked now, but seem to still be as stiff as they ever were, and aren't separating from the steel parts even if I heave on them - I had the arms out while I was cleaning up the rust on the axle casing and suspension mounts. Problem is that the bushings are peened into the control arms and I'm not sure if replacing them is feasible. I'm curious to know what others have done about this, I'm looking to replace mine soon as part of a mild lift if it makes sense to do so, but I'm not sure I'd like the harsher ride, possible squeaking or the need to regrease poly bushings.
Other than those which only (!) affect caster change under braking, there aren't any others that affect the solid front axles' geometry, there's the track bar bush, but that'll typically outlast the ball joint on the other end. 2wd vehicles are a lot more susceptible to bushings causing suspension geometry changes.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in