New Engine....New Problems...HELP - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 9 Old 03-28-2003, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Project Ram 96

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry New Engine....New Problems...HELP

Hey everyone,

About two weeks ago, I was on the board n' told everyone i had to get a new engine. They (dodge) had it for 10 days! Well, once it was said and done, it was running pretty nice. But, 4 days later, the problems arose.

The check engine light came on, and gave me a code 31...the evap purge solenoid. Then there was this really freaky 'rushing liquid' noise whenever i started the truck, or stepped on the gas after sitting for a little while. So I brought it back to dodoge. Two days later...it was 'repaired'. They said the check engine light 'cleared itself' and they couldn't find anything. And they said the 'rushing liquid' noise is "probably air in the system". What the hell is that supposed to mean??? I've never heard of that.

I picked up the truck thursday afternoon. Then guess what...the same damn code came up 4 hours later. So I brought it in friday...and ended up paying $45, and wasting three hours for them to tell me that it was my evap purge solenoid. I ALREADY KNEW WHAT IT WAS! And get this...the official reason dodge gave me for it's failure is:

"faulty evap purge solenoid probably due to open aftermarket exhaust, and aftermarket air filter. Recommend replacement. Customer declined at this time."

Damn straight I declined...this sounds like BS to me. NONE of these new problems were occuring before they put this new engine in...now all the sudden all hell breaks loose?

What do you think.....? Are they trying to play me and get out of something? Needless to say, I am on my last nerve with dodge.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-28-2003, 05:01 PM
WARLOCK

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to WARLOCK
tell them to prove to you that your 'add ons' caused the failure, instead of them having the system open for 10 days.

Rusty

DodgeTalk.com
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Member #(77)

DodgeTalkAholics #77

RIP
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Been Hammered and Diablo Predator.

Pedderized
KSport coil overs
R1 Concept drilled and slotted rotors

To join the Official Dodgetalk Member Map, click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

post #3 of 9 Old 03-28-2003, 07:06 PM
FIREHOSE2109

Ask them have they heard of The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. For more info check out www.martelbros.com look under Customer information. Hope this Helps.

Milton

Last edited by FIREHOSE2109; 03-28-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Project Ram 96

(Thread Starter)
Angry warranty

Well, the problem is that the evap purge solenoid isn't explicitly covered by my warranty. However, it does say that anything that fails due to a fault in a covered item...is then covered.

My problem is...how do i prove that? I don't know what an evaporator purge solenoid is or does, nor do i know what would cause it to fail. And i HIGHLY doubt that they would admit that it's due to their negligence when puttin' in my new engine recently...

I don't know what to do...but this just doesn't feel right, ya know?

PR96
post #5 of 9 Old 03-29-2003, 12:44 AM
ITSAHEMI

try calling another dealership and see what they have to say.i think they are full of [email protected] the original air cleaner filter before you go in so there is no excuses.as for the exhaust this should not have an effect.

2003 DODGE RAM 1500 R/C SHORT BOX 5.7 HEMI,4X4,20'S,3.92 LIMITED SLIP,GRAPHITE METALLIC,SPORT PKG, KEYLESS ENTRY,LEATHER INTERIOR, HEATED SEATS,HEATED MIRRORS,TOW PACKAGE, SUPER PLUG, SNAPLESS SOFT TONNEAU COVER,MOPAR WHEEL LINERS,MOPAR MOLDED MUD GUARDS,SLIDING REAR WINDOW,INFINITY SOUND SYSTEM,HEADLIGHTS/ FOG LAMPS WITH UPGRADED SILVERSTAR HALOGEN BULBS,TOW HOOKS,SKID PLATES,MOLDED COLOR KEYED BUG DEFLECTOR,TINTED WINDOWS 20%,LINE-X SPRAY ON BEDLINER,MAG-HYTEC REAR DIFFERENTIAL COVER,EMBROIDED "HEMI" HEADRESTS,GIBSON STAINLESS STEEL CATBACK EXHAUST,MOPAR PERFORMANCE AIR FILTER,
post #6 of 9 Old 03-29-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Project Ram 96

(Thread Starter)
oem cleaner gone...

Hey,

Thanks for your input guys. And I would do that, had I not thrown out my original air cleaner about 3 weeks ago. It was sitting around taking up space and collecting dust (a lot of it) for 3 years. Plus, I thought the K&N didn't void the warranty at all.

I'm startin' to lose faith in dodge I know it's probably only this truck out of a million, but it still has an effect on how i view dodge trucks.

Any more ideas as to why an evaporator purge solenoid would go bad?

Later,
PR96
post #7 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Blown5.9L

"Well, the problem is that the evap purge solenoid isn't explicitly covered by my warranty. However, it does say that anything that fails due to a fault in a covered item...is then covered."

They Just go Bad. i have a half dozen sitting under my bench at work, it's an eletrical solenoid that costs about 40 bucks... it's going bad is in no way related to the engine you had put in, and if you warranty doesn't cover it then your out of luck, why are you so mad? sounds like you bought a basic service contract that covers powertrain, you got an engine out of the deal, and now your looking for more... it s a very simple component that you can easily replace yourself go buy one from the dealer and plug it in... don't be mad that they told you your air filter and exhaust caused something to fail that isn't even covered...
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2003, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Project Ram 96

(Thread Starter)
Angry

Blown5.9L,

1. "They Just go Bad. i have a half dozen sitting under my bench at work, it's an eletrical solenoid that costs about 40 bucks... it's going bad is in no way related to the engine you had put in"............

Well, I didn't know what it was, and I still don't know how to fix it myself. How was I supposed to know that they "just go bad"?

2. "sounds like you bought a basic service contract that covers powertrain, you got an engine out of the deal, and now your looking for more..."........

Wrong....I have an extended service contract that covered the engine, and I'm not "looking for more", I'm just trying to make sure they're not trying to jip me. I've had to spend a lot of money on the truck lately, and can't just blow money as you probably can. And if you've ever grown up in the NYC area, you'd know that you shouldn't be instantly trusting of what anyone says.

3. "it s a very simple component that you can easily replace yourself go buy one from the dealer and plug it in"......

Refer to the reply in question 1.

4. "don't be mad that they told you your air filter and exhaust caused something to fail that isn't even covered..."........

That's not why I'm mad. If you read the initial post, you'll see that I've had to return to the dealer quite a few times within a two week period. Wouldn't you be a tad frustrated as well?
Is it really so bad that I'm trying to make sure that I'm not blowing money on things? I don't think it was fair for you to imply that I'm cheap, ("looking for more"), and that I'm trying to squeeze things out of a warranty that aren't covered. It's called covering your own a**.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Blown5.9L

when i say basic service contract i'm talking about the level of contract, there is added care, and max care. added care is a basic powertrain service contract, eng, trans, t-case and diffs, normal doesn't cover any electrical devices unless say a pushrod blows through the valve cover and crashes through the evap purge sol. then the sol. is covered. this is not the case in your account... your case is a coincidence that you had an engine replaced and then your MIL light came on... give me your last nine of your vin, your appoximate mileage and the first 4 letter of your last name and i can tell you what contract you have and what is covered when i'm at work...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in