the plenum gasket again - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 7 Old 11-17-2005, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
bcdodge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
the plenum gasket again

1997 Dodge 1500 4X4 5.2L

I have followed alot of past posts regarding this problem and am currently installing the hughes kit thanks to the forum. There has also been some discussion about 180 thermostats and ac delco plugs to help with the pinging.
Has anyone expermented with the cooler thermostat and found a brand of plugs that seem to work good in the 318?
I plan to change the water pump as the bearing is squeaking alot and maybe new wires and a cap for good luck.
Any other good tech tips would be great
Thanks in advance
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2005, 12:00 PM
dodg66440

I just did this last weekend. Be very careful of the oil pressure sending unit
when unscrewing the EGR tube or you'll snap it off. Ask me how I know. I put off doing this for a long time because I knew what a PIA it would be, but boy
was it worth it. The truck runs like new.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-20-2005, 01:37 PM
cousincletus

I use the Autolite 3923 plugs in my 2001 Ram 1500 3.9 V-6 and they help with the pinging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-21-2005, 05:10 PM
spirit-dodge
CHROME

Get a brass cap. The 3923 seem to be the most popular. They did help with the ping too but after awhile the ping came back. I have no pinging with the Hughes kit. The 3923 and 180 have worked well for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Buzzbass
02 R/T & 05 Ram

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
now that you're fixing the plenum gasket, you may want to stick with the stock heat range. Most people go to the cooler 3923s because they help eliminate the ping caused by the bad plenum sucking in oil. You've fixed that, so try the stock range 1st. You may even pick up a little extra power over the cooler plugs.

My other truck is an R/T

2005 Hemi Ram Sport RC 2wd Yellow. 340RWHP, 350RWTQ
Comp 268 cam, P.I.E. Milled & Ported Heads with 2.02/1.65 Manley backcut valves, Compression bumped to 10.5:1, 6.1 Springs & Pushrods, Pacesetter Longtubes, 2800-Edge Convertor, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, Diablo Tuned by P.I.E., Dual 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler, Taylor Shorties, Spindle & Flip 5/7 drop, Energy Suspension Urethane bushings F & R, SRT 20s, Cal-Tracs, Belltech Street Perfomance Shocks......this shit all started as an exhaust replacement/upgrade & new tires project. WTF !?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 CC Silver
2bbl M-1 w/large turtle
55 MM F&B TB
Spintech Headers
Full Spintech 3" True Dual system w/gutted hi-flow cats & x-pipe
1.6 HS Roller Rockers
Powder Coated GSM Fabbed Aluminum Valve Covers
Comp Cam .544/.544, 235*/240*, 114 LSA
2.02/1.65 EQ Ported Magnum Iron Heads
Smith Bros. Hardened 7.00" pushrods
B&G Chrysler M-1 Flash
Cal-Tracs
PowerTrax Locker
MSD 6A w/11mm Taylors & NGK 4291s
Full Custom Interior....Featuring SRT4 seats, custom stitching/embroidery on all seating surfaces & a Pistol Grip Hurst 1/4 Stick II shifter
IAT & MAP relocation mods
Full Hotchkis TVS Suspension Upgrade. featuring; new coils, leafs & sways.
Nitto 450s 275/50/17
post #6 of 7 Old 11-23-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
bcdodge

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the replies, I just finished the work this weekend and it runs like a new truck. Sure enough the gasket was blown in two places but the the Hughes kit installed nicely. I stuck with the stock heat range plug in autolites,new cap rotor and leads and a couple of cans on cylinder decarbon.
For anyone else doing the kit I think its worth while to also retorque the intake mainfold as per the dodge SB thats deals with this problem.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2005, 08:49 AM
StarDriver

That is the next thing I need to do to my truck, I noticed deposits on the floor of the intake, I also noticed on the Hughes site that you are to replace the intake bolts as they are a one time torque bolt only.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in