A/C temp is 60F - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 8 Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
98QuadCabV10
EPA's Worst Nightmare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A/C temp is 60F

Lately it has been over 90degrees out and I have been using my A/C. I have to keep the A/C on full blast just to keep the truck cool/warm. So today I checked the temp comming out of the vents. At 2,500 RPM held for a few min. the temp comming out of the vents was 60 degrees. I know the temp should be around 32 depending on the humidity and temp outside. Before I go and try to buy a recharge kit what else should I check? What are the most common A/C failures in the dodges?
Thanks for any help,
Jesse

1998 Ram Quad Cab 2500 Short Bed V10 4x4
C.A.I.
Headers.
SCT Tuner
3" SRB Lift
Fast Man TB
GM Push Rods
2" Leveling Kit
1.7 Roller Rockers
Exhaust: No cats, Flowmaster 50
Best Runs
60': 2.27
1/8th: 10.23 @ 68.56 MPH
1/4: 15.93 @ 85.7 MPH
0-60: 7.9sec

V10 Ram Club #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-04-2005, 11:26 PM
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

I know I only paid $30 for a complete evacuation and recharge on my system performed by a shop. Not much more than buying the kit and it's a lot easier. A kit cannot evacuate your system either, even though you probably do need one, it can help your system live longer.

2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab Deep Cherry Red
MOPAR Bedrug, RetraxPro Tonneau
OEM Backup Camera Install
Husky X-ACT Contour Floor Mats

post #3 of 8 Old 08-05-2005, 12:42 AM
biggen6776

the evaporator core is a known issue with dodges.

Black Truck Club Member # 617

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You dont have to support the war. But you better support our troops!!! CPL William A Long 6/18/2005 killed in Iraq.

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Extra Cab 4X4.

Mods to the 98 Extra Cab 4X4 that i will get on 12/9/2005
-Diamond plate bed rails
-Diamond plate tool box
-Diamond plate full tailgate protector
-Carr chrome side steps still not put on yet
-billet aluminum 3rd brake light cover[COLOR=Black][SIZE=4]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-05-2005, 09:58 PM
MoparMissile9

The temp should be around 50-60 degrees or so. I don't think it will get to 30 degrees since it's near freezing. Obviously if the truck is warm then it's not working properly.

Anyways if you take it to a mechanic they will "blacklight" all the lines and vents to check for leaks first. It could just be a hose that has a leak. If it is a major leak you will be able to see a "greenish/yellow" color near the A/C compressor and hoses even without the special light and lenses. Lenses just magnify the dye and allow you to see smaller leaks more clearly.

Recharging the system won't do anything if there is a problem with it. So best bet is to have a mechanic check it with a "blacklight" tester first.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Regnew

A/C concerns

You will never get 32 degrees out of your dodge truck...If you get 45 degrees outlet temp in 90 degree weather your doing good! Evaporator problems are common in any of the R 134 systems....Turn your a/c on and then feel the lines....the discharge lines should be hot to the touch so be careful, the suction line will be pretty cold to the touch if the a/c is working normally...If not the best way to find a leak is first a visual inspection of the components you can see,,,,lines, condenser,,a/c compressor etc....If they look okay then you have to get your a/c system recharged with a freon that contains dye....after the system fails again ( and it will ) then check it with a black light and special glasses...You will probably have to go either to a dealer or an independent shop to get this problem diag..correctly...Remember air conditioning does not cool air it takes heat out of the air and on hot humid days you not going to get very cold air coming from your vents..don't get me wrong the a/c should cool the interior of the truck down enough that your comfortable, also run your a/c system on the recirculation mode.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2005, 09:45 PM
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

I always thought that the a/c compressed air with a compressor and then the air naturally cooled as it expands, just like any gas does as it expands.

2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab Deep Cherry Red
MOPAR Bedrug, RetraxPro Tonneau
OEM Backup Camera Install
Husky X-ACT Contour Floor Mats

post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Regnew

Pressure drop is what causes the cool down effect a high pressure going to a lower pressure is the reason....Oriface tube or expansion valve is the way to meter a high pressure to a lower pressure
post #8 of 8 Old 08-08-2005, 10:30 AM
sharphome

Air conditioning takes the humidity out of the air also to do the cooling process. If it is not charged properly it will not pull the warm moist air out. That is why they have to have an evaporator....just my 2 cents worth.

Rick

99' Dodge Ram QC Sport 4x4

http://sharptruck.tripod.com/my_dodge_album
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in