No voltage to coil - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 7 Old 01-02-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
andermac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question No voltage to coil

Post and wire were burned off altenator and truck would not stay running. Replaced alt. and truck started and ran fine for few minutes and died. Guages were back to normal when it ran. Now it want start at all and there is no voltage to coil so no fire. Another website mentioned something about an alt. fuse. Anyone know anything about this"fuse" or fuse link and where I might find it on a 1997 ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2L engine? Looking at diagram looks like coil feeds off alt and asd relay feeds off same post. What is little black plastic box with the 2 leads going to back of alt. and could this be the problem? Lost for answers, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andermac
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

I think there is a master fuse in the main fuse box under the hood. It could be blown.

Nate Breece
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
andermac

(Thread Starter)
Sorry Nate< I forgot to say I checked every single relay and fuse both inside the truck and under the hood with my meter. They all appear to be working perfectly. I even swapped the same numbered ones around just to be sure. When the problem first started, the truck would crank after many turns but would only run over 1100 rpm. Thats when I found the big wire on altenator fried. Lets just say that it took just barely turning nut for it to disintegrate. So I got an altenator(reman)from one of those zone places and soldered a new lug on wire and installed. It started right up and ran like brand new for just about 5 minutes then it died. Now it want start at all and when I stuck my meter to coil plug with ignition switch in run there is no juice at all. Any way this is my first Dodge truck and I bought it at an auction so I know little about it. I got a Chilton and plenty of time just was hoping one of those mopar savy mechanics would share with me some of their hard earned memories. What I don't have is lots of money so would like be sure before I spend it. Should of put this all in to start with. Sorry guys I'm a Dodge newbie and a little ignorant.

Andy

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 auto 318 193k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

There may be some other damage to that wire coming off of the alternator or the ignition switch itself. I would suggest getting a factory service manual for your truck, which has wiring schematics, and trace the wires back.

Nate Breece
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
andermac

(Thread Starter)
Well you may be right. I'm still hoping someone will jump in and say hey check so and so. I followed big wire from alt to power control center so I metered it and it was good. I then took the power box loose and turned it over and checked for burnt wires etc under relays and fuses. nada. I haven't figured out how the autoshutdown relay works to see if its killing the power to the coil. I tested relay itself and it worked. This book is a little vague on whether the power control module(computer) sends the voltage to coil or autoshutdown relay. I'd buy a shop manual but i'm in rural arkansas 17 miles from anywhere with no ride except when wife gets home from work at night. We've had a month of snow and rain and there's all this beautiful mud everywhere and I'm not in it. Andy
post #6 of 7 Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
andermac

(Thread Starter)
Hey just noticed my check engine light not coming on either. Suggests no power to computer or bad computer to me. Anybody else got an idea? Andy
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

Bad bulb? Sometimes the bulb is part of the circuit for the computer.

Nate Breece

5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in