Getting bigger.... 07 Durango Hemi Limited - Page 3 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #41 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Nomad32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear Bilsteins installed. It was kind of odd to install, but took about an hour (struggled with the first one). The stickers called for the boot to be down - but I have always seen the boot on top. I started to put them in boot up, but the darn things wouldn't fit. I read a bit online about how Bilstein can be trusted to put the labels on the correct way, flipped them over and voila - right into place.

Have not installed the front ones yet - but hopefully early this week.

======================================

Separate note - I have not noticed a change in MPG since installing the 22s. Could be a number of things, but I will be getting an alignment done in the next week as well. My old tires were crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 PM
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad32 View Post
Rear Bilsteins installed. It was kind of odd to install, but took about an hour (struggled with the first one). The stickers called for the boot to be down - but I have always seen the boot on top. I started to put them in boot up, but the darn things wouldn't fit. I read a bit online about how Bilstein can be trusted to put the labels on the correct way, flipped them over and voila - right into place.

Have not installed the front ones yet - but hopefully early this week.

My understanding is Bilsteins says they place the body up to get it away from taking hits. When the body takes a hit, it reduces how well the piston works. and that's why they place the body up out of the way.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 91K/3588hrs, 4.56 R&P/DTT, Sonnax Line Booster, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer-case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

post #43 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
dodgefan360
Platinum 2K R/T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On my 2000 R/T, I found it easier to fit them piston down as they clear with room all around. I only hit some basic trails and shallow ponds (30" tall tires you know...) so worry of rocks or other debris is next to nil. These shocks are now 3.5 years old and holding up decent - I have no complaints.

2011 RAM Quad Cab 4x4 SXT 5.7 - Silver
108,000kms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Nomad32

(Thread Starter)
So.... Did I screw it up? Normally boot up right?
post #45 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 PM
dodgefan360
Platinum 2K R/T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't say which way to install as I don't own a Gen2. One would think that either direction is fine. My only concern is that at maximum travel the suspension geometry doesn't push the shock into anything. Even with the boot in place the diameter should be relatively the same for the whole shock and shouldn't matter.

I didn't realize in order to do a diff service on a gen2, you have to remove some of the suspension components there - ouch.

Check out section 2-35 for shock install. I couldn't see where it specified the direction. On page 2-36 I assume you have the right installation. Service Manual for a 2004 Durango (other years similar) http://www.biodsl.com/durangofsm.htm

2011 RAM Quad Cab 4x4 SXT 5.7 - Silver
108,000kms

post #46 of 48 Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 PM
capitals8

Cant wait to see her finished
post #47 of 48 Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Nomad32

(Thread Starter)
So - all 4 shocks are now installed - and had the alignment done yesterday.

Rides so much nicer now.

I need to figure out what to do next now.... I might look into lowering her a little bit.
post #48 of 48 Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Dodge4L1fe
Retired DT Staff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Can't go wrong with the Eibach springs
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in