Best way to keep an ignition coil cool?? - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #21 of 25 Old 08-17-2011, 03:34 AM
pjc360

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi there, i know this is a little old subject but i have ran into the same problem with my truck before. i have a 91 ram that a friend and i put a carbed 320 hp 360 magnum crate engine in it. now this 91 originally had a 318 with throttle body fuel injection so we had a mess on our hands wiring that thing together i still have at least 20 wires that i do not know what they go to or where they go. anywho we got it running but back to your issue you said it would not start with the ballast resistor mine did the exact same thing!! im not to smart with wiring my friend is an electricion and does that stuff for a living so he knew what he was doing but after wiring it all in i went to start it and it would turn over and turn over but just not fire and we knew it was getting gas and like what you said we had just put on brand new cap and rotor brand new plugs and wires so what he ended up doing was wiring a toggle switch to the ignition and we mountede the toggle switch in the cab so how mine works is you can turn it over with the key and the starter will sit there and spin all day or untill it burns up but it wont fire unless that toggle switch is flipped up to the on position and you can turn the key off and it still idles untill you flip the toggle switch off. so im not exactly sure what he bypassed by wiring this toggle switch but it would not start at all and once he wired that toggle switch in it fired right up so im just suggesting to you that if you run a toggle switch off your ignition maybe that will help take some volts away from your coil and keep it cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 08-17-2011, 03:41 AM
pjc360

i am going to have to have my same friend wire up another toggle switch to turn my electronic overdrive off and on the overdrive worked in it before we switched engines cause my best friend was the previouis owner of the truck i have and he said the transmission worked great. there is a button in the dash by the message center that says overdrive i push the button and the light comes on but it does not shift into overdrive same friend who wired up my ignition toggle switch said im not to excited bout the idea of tearing into the dash and trying to get your overdrive working off the original overdrive button but i will re wire you another toggle switch and you can turn it off and on that way and honestly i could care less what i have to push or flip to get it to engage as long as it works lol.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 AM
SchroederMP
living life

Send a message via Yahoo to SchroederMP
That is a long ass sentence

2005 CTD 4x4-5" Turbo back exhaust, Icebox CAI, Smarty, AirDog, built tranny, leveled, Linex Rockers

1993 Dodge Stealth 3.0L 5sp-Project/Gas Saver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 AM
pjc360

ya if that was a school paper id probly get an f but it aint so i dont care im just trying to pass helpful information off i could care less bout puncuation and spelling didnt think anybody else did ether as long as i can read it and get what there saying i certanly dont care bout it
post #25 of 25 Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
psycobilly64

(Thread Starter)
I actually ended up relocating the coil to the fender and it seems to have solved the problem for now.

I actually have a new issue with it now, but it's just a dead cell in the batt.

'89 Ramcharger 4X4, 318, auto, 31x10.50 R15

Who says size doesn't matter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in