a couple preformace ?s - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
kevin07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
a couple preformace ?s

my truck has always idoled a little rough but after i put the fastman on it got a little worse, it started to get better after a wile then i fould a vaccum hose cracked and when i fixed that the idol got worse again, any ideas?I Have a flashpaq tuner and was wondering if the sct tuner would make much of a difference or if it was just better than the flashpaq for automatics because of shift points and such. I was also wondering if kn makes a 14x3 filter for a edlebrock round filter. And because the round filter brings in more air does the kn give you more power or does the paper filter let enough air in. I was planning on doing another preformace mod but im running out of ideas i dont want to do anything major, i was thinking high flow cat ( probably not much gain) or underdrive pulley but ive heard many different thing about them.

2001 dodge ram 4x4 SLT Sport 5.2 manual

285/75/16 MT tires, open element filter, Fastman tb, Flashpaq (91 setting)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Flowmaster 50 series painted black ,1.7 rr (not to impressed), modded kegger

16" black eagle alloy wheels, pioneer 5100, Jensen Powerplus 6x9 speakers, memphis pr 5 1/4 in the back, memphis pr 4.50 4 channel, Rampage 60" light bar with reverse, amber foglights, high n low 8000k HIDs blacked out diff cover, blacked out door handles, paintred axels gloss black fender wells

the Dreaming list
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LED 3rd brakelight, LED dash lights, smoked tail lights, Reverse HIDs, tinted windows, black dash cover, LED parking lights(that are actually bright enough to see), hight flow cat n y pipes

2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 SLT 5.2 manual In the junk yard

2" or 3" suspension lift
285/75/16 tires
16" aluminum racing wheels
Dual Exhaust
AIT Relocation
JVC Headunit
Superchips Flashpaq
Jensen Powerplus 6x9 speakers
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Ram1878

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
When was the last time you cleaned the TB and the IAC?

1999 Ram 1500 4x4 X-cab short box, 240,000+ miles
318 3:55 ASD
NV3500 w/ tow pkg
33" BFG T/A KO2
3" SKYJACKER LIFT w/ M95s
Thuren 0-3" track bar
Redhead Steering (2)

Fastman 50mm
Magnaflow Hi-flow cat w/ Thrush GP
Hughes Plenum Kit
Stant 180 stat
K&N drop-in
Luverne Chrome Grille Guard
Westin Nerf bars
LMC Dash
Fog and backup lights w/ relays
Smoke Pacer Cab lights
Recon Big Rig lights

BLACK TRUCK CLUB #78

CAN'T LAY SCRATCH CLUB #3

TRUCKS & GUNS CLUB #29

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #( 68 )*
post #3 of 24 Old 11-01-2009, 10:41 AM
MH_MOTORCYCLE
5.9 Vroom..putt..putt..

get a cold air intake, you need a velocity effect, 14x3 air cleaner is really pointless, your probably losing power with this setup, throw the stock intake back on and see what it does

Ol Whitey...02 QC 360
2/4.5 Drop, Toxic Shocks up front, Cheapo Monroes out back, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-01-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
kevin07

(Thread Starter)
I have never cleaned the tb or the iac. the tb is only a month old. if the aic was dirty or fowled wouldn't the idle be bad all the time? mine is only when i first start it up. MH_MOTORCYCLE what do you mean by velocity effect? With the 14x3 intake it takes in a lot more air than the stock intake or cold air and it was one of my favorite performance mods.

16" black eagle alloy wheels, pioneer 5100, Jensen Powerplus 6x9 speakers, memphis pr 5 1/4 in the back, memphis pr 4.50 4 channel, Rampage 60" light bar with reverse, amber foglights, high n low 8000k HIDs blacked out diff cover, blacked out door handles, paintred axels gloss black fender wells

the Dreaming list
LED 3rd brakelight, LED dash lights, smoked tail lights, Reverse HIDs, tinted windows, black dash cover, LED parking lights(that are actually bright enough to see), hight flow cat n y pipes

2" or 3" suspension lift
285/75/16 tires
Dual Exhaust
AIT Relocation
JVC Headunit
Superchips Flashpaq
post #5 of 24 Old 11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
RM Indy
Ram Racer

Did you check every vac line to make sure more of them arent split?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH_MOTORCYCLE View Post
get a cold air intake, you need a velocity effect, 14x3 air cleaner is really pointless, your probably losing power with this setup, throw the stock intake back on and see what it does
Obviously you have never tried an open element filter kit.
FYI, once rolling, ambiant air temps under the hood drop to about 10deg above outside air temps.

Unless your in the deep south the open 14" K&N will give better performance than a cai unless its the ramairbox(best of any I track tested) with twin 4" ducts to a 14" k&N. Ramairbox will give almost double the 1/4m et reduction of pretty well every other cai out their. (another company makes on similar)

11 Bighorn 4x4 5.7, K&N FIPK, BD GT+, Herculiner, Extang Encore, Bedrug
Toy...96 Ram Indy
408ci/8.5cr all forged/billet
Procharger D-1SC (polished) w/3core a/a intercooler

Tons of pics, timeslips, videos, installs, downloads & more check out

(ets in sig pic = mild 360 w/7psi @ approx 390-400rwhp)

post #6 of 24 Old 11-01-2009, 09:52 PM
redheadhunter21

Yes K&N makes a 14x3 filter, it does improve airflow but not enough to make much of a difference in your case, I think its around $50 for the filter might be less and I would get either it or a spectre(a little cheaper) just because they can be removed, cleaned and oiled as often as needed so you dont run into problems of having a paper one thats clogged and waiting to buy another.

Dont know what you consider major but how about some headers or 1.7 RRs

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L, Amp Research Powerstep, Weather Tech mats, E-Max Tonneau Cover, Line-X, Andersen Rapid hitch
post #7 of 24 Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 PM
spun360

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
if you know that the intake is not leaking, plenum or heads? if the oxy sensors are not bad? are the plug wires routed as tsb stated? try running with no pcv. i hate those things!
post #8 of 24 Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM
spun360

after you increase the flow rates of a stock block you may run the plugs lean and hot. watch them for a white or sulfur ash- hot condition. its time to wet the whistle with more gas.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 PM
spun360

also if you run a mid temp plug, they take longer to warm up autolite 3923s copper core. it may be time to switch to bosch plat 1 probe. mine cleared that condition. also if you pcv delete- watch your oil quality- i mean watch carefully for water and condensate in the oil/crank case it will show up as foam on the dip stick. the valve covers need to vent in some way, dont just put a element hat on there, its not enough draw. emissions will pass w/ out a pcv. a computer controlled engine, controls the fuel, controls the timing advance, regulates spark intensity, idle speed, and is all messed up buy a dummy hopping around noisy thingymagiger that insists on leaking vacuum at inconsistent rate! its worth a temporary try.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
kevin07

(Thread Starter)
sorry everyone i have been very busy lately. I have not checked all the vaccum lines i only looked at the one i heard leaking I will check them all out this weekend i will also check the plugs. I dont remember what plugs i put in but i know they are fairly new. I already have rocker put on and i wasn't that impressed only seemed to give me a little fuller power in 3rd and 4th. will headers give me much performance gains? it seems like the stock exhaust manifold flows fairly freely. I hear a lot about the sct tune but isn't it better than flashpaq because of the torque management? so this would mean it doesn't do as much for a 5 speed right?

the Dreaming list

2" or 3" suspension lift
285/75/16 tires
Dual Exhaust
AIT Relocation
JVC Headunit
Superchips Flashpaq
post #11 of 24 Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
kevin07

(Thread Starter)
spun 360 What is a "pcv delete" and what do you mean by "not enough draw" sorry not much of a motor head

the Dreaming list

2" or 3" suspension lift
285/75/16 tires
Dual Exhaust
AIT Relocation
JVC Headunit
Superchips Flashpaq
post #12 of 24 Old 11-07-2009, 12:09 AM
MP408

you need to adjust the iac counts buy turning the set screw so it will idle at the right rpm it was modified and the computer cant compensate until it is within specs must be to low open it up and it will idle
post #13 of 24 Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
kevin07

(Thread Starter)
it doesent idle rought all the time its just if it sits more than 8 hours or so, so wouldnt it be bad all the time if it were the iac?

the Dreaming list

2" or 3" suspension lift
285/75/16 tires
Dual Exhaust
AIT Relocation
JVC Headunit
Superchips Flashpaq
post #14 of 24 Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 PM
spun360

a positive crankcase ventilator, is a pcv, it sticks out of the valve cover and allows a plenum leak to raise the idle- nibble it off temp, sometimes this helps you stableize the idle to help find the leaks. i have my air box Td off to breath from both sides. when i have a "gasket" or hose line leak my idle goes up and i know right away. fix a leak! a cold start rough condition is normal for a split second, in pa the weathers been wet enough to cause condensate sucked in on first breath. my 2 cents about a under drive pulley set is that if you use alot of juice on lights or fans or sub woofers you might not be able to charge your battery anymore efficiently enough.
post #15 of 24 Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
kevin07

(Thread Starter)
yeah im thinkin no on the underdrive i got extra lights a amp and probably another amp coming soon. Anyone do the sct tune on a 5 speed? think this might be my next mod just want to know a little more about it.

the Dreaming list

2" or 3" suspension lift
285/75/16 tires
Dual Exhaust
AIT Relocation
JVC Headunit
Superchips Flashpaq
post #16 of 24 Old 11-13-2009, 01:49 PM
lastrights

what size fastman did you buy for you 5.2 motor, if you bought the 52mm you went too big

2000 dodge ram 5.9 longtube headers ,1.7 harland sharps,52mm fastman,K&N CAI,,SCT TUNED airgap FI
post #17 of 24 Old 11-13-2009, 04:20 PM
kevinb70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin07 View Post
Anyone do the sct tune on a 5 speed? think this might be my next mod just want to know a little more about it.
ya. was peppier than I expected over stock! I wasnt having the highest expectations b/c I believe that you get more to gain with an auto tranny... meaning 5 speed doesnt suffer as much as the auto tranny with stock tune.

improvements over stock:
peppier, stronger
less (or none at all) POP POP POP when letting off the gas at a low speed while in gear (like going 10mph in 2nd gear)
smoother acceleration esp in 1st/2nd gear where a small back and forth variation in RPM can jerk the truck

running the 87 octane tune completely eliminated my slight ping, 93 exaggerated the ping.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 5.2L NV3500 Club Cab
in: sct by hemifever
-Upgrades waiting on their lazy owner to install: russell stainless lines, hawk ceramic pads, rotor, calipers, energy suspension master kit, derale 4000cfm dual fan kit, moog upper/lower ball joints

post #18 of 24 Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
kevin07

(Thread Starter)
I have the 50 mm fastman. Yeah ive heard good things about the sct for automatics but it seemed like it was mostly from the torque managenent so i figure it has about the same power increase as the flashpaq for 5 speeds.

the Dreaming list

2" or 3" suspension lift
285/75/16 tires
Dual Exhaust
AIT Relocation
JVC Headunit
Superchips Flashpaq
post #19 of 24 Old 11-19-2009, 05:21 PM
spun360

rough cold start might be either the modded TB is too tight and new, the iac is confused, or the throttle set screw may need a slight tweek! have you fixed it yet? i would try the free fix first- adjust the blade position. mp408 might be right!
post #20 of 24 Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 PM
spun360

any developements yet? would a slight clocking of the tps help this situation?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in