5.9 kegger mod almost done ( tig welded) - Page 3 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #41 of 47 Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 PM
spun360

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
tell me what you think. i may use soft weld, or alu brazing rod some people call it. it welds at something like 2000*,map gas torch. w/ this i will affix a plate in the mani. after i trace and cut an alu sheet to replace the steel plenum pan, i will make one large turtle back out of the left over 1/4". i may need to preheat the mani to boost up the mas to temp in order to braze in a plate, via BBQ. wish i had access to a tig weld. was it luck or skill, i herd its tough not to damage cast alu! good job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
slambony

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It was not bad as I thought! I actually think being a cast piece is better than say a form pressed or plate intake. The cast took the heat very well. As far as the aluminum rod you use a map torch on, I don't think you can generate enough heat in the weld area on the intake, the plate your using will heat up faster than the cast? But I have never tried it, I would make damn sure to prep the areas on the intake were your welding with some type of grinder or carbide bit to get thru the cast finish of the intake. That way you get thru that outer layer of aluminum. I'm not saying an 1/8" but knock it down till it is shiny clean and smooth, so that stuff will adhere good!

On the eighth day god created the"426 Hemi"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000,2500 ext-cab 5.9 4/4
5-speed 4:10's
Brass cap and rotor
Hughes plenum pan
Modified TPS
Center Force II clutch
JBA 8mm wires (w/ horizontal wire looms)
New Viton valve seals
stainless steel shorties
180* T-Stat
AIS Ram Air Box (dual snorkel)
Ram side exhaust 3" in 2 1/2 outs magna flow
next harland sharp rockers, and TB
post #43 of 47 Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
slambony

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sorry been so long for the update, but been dealing with some identity theft issues! The intake works great! Disconnected the battery, and let the PCM learn from scratch. Seems to pull much better and longer up top. Strange thing is my mileage seems a little better haven't topped it off yet to check, but it seems like it takes just a little less to get to work than before. I will check on the mileage soon, I was at just under 16mpg, if it improved at all that would be a Bonus! LOL (PS at least when my foot isn't in it! )

On the eighth day god created the"426 Hemi"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000,2500 ext-cab 5.9 4/4
5-speed 4:10's
Brass cap and rotor
Hughes plenum pan
Modified TPS
Center Force II clutch
JBA 8mm wires (w/ horizontal wire looms)
New Viton valve seals
stainless steel shorties
180* T-Stat
AIS Ram Air Box (dual snorkel)
Ram side exhaust 3" in 2 1/2 outs magna flow
next harland sharp rockers, and TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 47 Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Harrison_Berger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been pondering the benefits of filling a kegger for my own driving and I think that my mileage should improve as well. Filling the plenum is supposed to move the power band down, if you have more power at a lower rpm it means that you need less rpm to maintain a given speed. I try to cruise at 1500rpm-1500rpm, but this puts me at just at about 35mph-45mph, and most of my driving is is in 40/45 mph zones, so I am hoping that when I fill my plenum I will be able to maintain my 1500 rpm goal and be able to keep up with traffic.

Does this sound logical?
post #45 of 47 Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
spun360

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
in other words the rpm at normal 50m/h are near 2000. the oem kegger doesnt breath, the flow rates break up at 1500. to mod looses low end torque, moves the power band higher, and creates better flow rates. this is caused buy clearing a straight shot for air," shortening runners", filling the dormant cavity, "epoxy, alu, what have you". it gets rid of the birp of air at low end and lets you resperate at mid rpm. does that help?
post #46 of 47 Old 10-21-2009, 07:06 PM
OleTomCat
Bridal Veil Falls

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to OleTomCat
What if you just fill the top of the kegger without cutting the runners?

My name is Al from Summerville, SC and I am a
Me: '14 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
'01 Ram 1500 5.2L Sport
Rhino Liner, Pioneer sound, new ball joints

I am not just a member I am the President

Wife: '05 Durango 4.7L
post #47 of 47 Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 PM
RamThis

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison_Berger View Post
I have been pondering the benefits of filling a kegger for my own driving and I think that my mileage should improve as well. Filling the plenum is supposed to move the power band down, if you have more power at a lower rpm it means that you need less rpm to maintain a given speed. I try to cruise at 1500rpm-1500rpm, but this puts me at just at about 35mph-45mph, and most of my driving is is in 40/45 mph zones, so I am hoping that when I fill my plenum I will be able to maintain my 1500 rpm goal and be able to keep up with traffic.

Does this sound logical?
\

No it's wrong. The RPM of the engine in a certain gear will be the same at the same speed. If you're in OD at 45 doing 1500 RPM with a stock kegger, you'll be doing 1500 RPM at 45 with a modded kegger. Axle and driveline rotation will not be affected by the intake, just throttle response.

Where the change comes in is throttle position. If you're at, say 30 percent throttle to maintain 45 MPH and 1500 RPM with the stock kegger intake, but you mod it and now you're at 25 percent throttle to maintain the same speed and RPM, you're using a tad less fuel. (mind you these numbers are probably not accurate in correlation with eachother just using as reference)

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Single Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Auburn LSD, Edelbrock headers, 2.5" true duals with crossover, MSD Superconductors, APS Plenum Kit, Level10 Trans kit, Trans-Go shift kit, 2-4 BellTech Drop, SS/T rims, Toyo Proxes ST 285-60-17's, Sir Michaels Roll Pan and tailgate handle relocator, Keystone bumper cover with light openings, PIAA fogs, painted grille shell, painted Street Scene Speed Grille Inserts, SCT XCAL-2, Alpine head unit, Infinity Components front, Infinity Coaxials back, Infinity 500W 4 channel amp, Infinity Basslink, new dash, steering wheel, and guage bezel.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Detroit Locker, Race Truck Trends Nascar Bumper, Painted SS/T Stripes, Alpine HU, Alpine Sound Field Processor, MTX Thunderform. 5.9L bored .030 over, Sealed Power coated pistons, balanced and polished crank, Comp 210 Cam, MP Timing Chain tensioner, Melling HV oil pump, 1.92 oversized valves and mild porting, Pacesetter Longtube Headers, FMS 24lb Injectors, Level10 Transmission kit, Trans-Go shift kit, 5 gear OD Planetary. Way more to come.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in