New Steering Components installed - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2004, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Senven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Steering Components installed

I just finished installing my new PSC steering box and Borgeson steering shaft. My truck before had tons of play and the steering clunked when hitting the gas, braking or hitting bumps at slow speeds. My truck feels better than brand new now, im having a hard time driving it because i was used to sloppy steering, guess it will take awhile to get used to it. Installed my steering stabilizer so hopefully I will never have to replace the steering components again. Very happy with my truck now.

'95 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9ltr SWB 4x4
Auto Trans w/ 3.92 Limited Slip
Gibson Catback Exhaust
Carsound Hi-flow Cat
Ebay Special Intake
Accel brass cap and rotor
MSD Coil
Mopar Performance Wires
MikesFabShop Steering brace
Borgeson Steering Shaft
PSC Steering Gearbox
Edelbrock IAS Shocks
Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo
Royal Purple Gear Oil
Mobil 1 synthetic Oil
Sylvania Silverstars
Performance Friction Brakepads
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2004, 06:02 AM
capecoralbill

Sounds good, do you have a website for the steering stabilizer, is it a add on kit? thanks Bill
post #3 of 7 Old 06-21-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senven

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill
Sounds good, do you have a website for the steering stabilizer, is it a add on kit? thanks Bill
I bought mine from www.mikesfabshop.com but he appears to have gone out of business
Most buy from here http://www.solidsteel.ca/
theirs is cheaper and I would have bought it if I had found it first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-29-2004, 06:28 AM
capecoralbill

Thanks, here's another related question. I wonder if I need a new steering box. when I lay under the truck, I can grab and turn the little ujoint (the play is not in the ujoint) in the steering column just above the steering box. I can turn it a little to the left and right (maybe 1/16 of a turn) but the pitman arm does not move. Is this normal?
Would adjusting the steering lash nut & screw reduce this movement, or is the lash adjustment for some other symptom? Thanks Bill 2001 RamQuad 5.9Lgas 2wd 34000miles

Thanks Bill
post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2004, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Senven

(Thread Starter)
Hey Bill,

It sounds like your could be tightened up by adjusting the box. Mine was bad because if someone turned the steering wheel back and forth, the shaft coming out of the box where the pitman are connects would move back and forth alot because the bearing was trashed. So instead of immediately rotating and turning the pitman arm it moved side to side with slop first. It was starting to leak a little fluid from it. It could have been rebuilt but I didnt feel like messing with it.

Good luck
post #6 of 7 Old 06-29-2004, 12:06 PM
capecoralbill

Hello Senven, Interesting, thanks for the description of the lower steering shaft wobble. I thought that could be my problem, so yesterday I installed a DSS steering stabilizer brace, cant tell if its helped or not, but I dont think so, after just 20 mile test run. What the DSS will do for me in the future though is to keep that lower steering shaft from wobbleing like yours did. I will try that steering box lash adjustment one of these days. Later Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Senven

(Thread Starter)
Yah, that should save you from having to replace your steering box eventually. Good talking with you
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in