How to know which front axle? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 4 Old 05-23-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
truckin289

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to know which front axle?

I have a 1999 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9l. The right ( pass side) u joint that connects the front axle to the wheel needs replaced. I am trying to read through my chiltons manual to figure out how to do this.

How do I know which axle I have?
Chilton says it can be one of these:

CV joint ( I know it is not this)
194 FIA
216 FBI
248 FBI
C205F

How hard is this job? I can move the u-joint back and forth with my hand where it connects.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-23-2009, 05:54 PM
dsertdog56
Mopar owner since 1977

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You have a Dana 44 axle and I believe the standard dana joint for that is a 5-297X or the heavier but non greasable 5-760x. Rock auto lists the axle joint as a 377 precision part #.

Here's the link to the dana joints...I highly reccomend OEM over imported stuff the aftermarket sells. Usually someone sells dana in most decent sixed cities.

http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...ndex&cPath=414

The hardest part is getting the front hub nuts off and the hub bearings out. In fact you may want to consider installing new hub bearings if you haven't recently, because if you haven't you'll be doing it soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB 4x4 with all kinds of subtle and not so subtle modifications. I believe the mods you didn't try to find because my truck doesn't have a huge lift or massive tires are my BEST ones!
People of Integrity Expect To Be Believed, and When They're Not, They Let time Prove Them Right !
Member of the Elite White truck club #172 4x4 club member #25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of the Quad Cab club #41

Last edited by dsertdog56; 05-23-2009 at 06:07 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
truckin289

(Thread Starter)
Does it require pulling the differential cover off to pull the axles. The chilton absolutely sucks in explaing this job. I have gone into projects blind before but try not to on a daily driver that I have to make sure is running on Monday morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 PM
tkirk
work in progress

you do not have to open the diff basicly you remove the wheel take a big screw driver down thru the caliper into a slot on the rotor remove the spindle nut i recomend a 3/4 drive breaker bar for this once the nut is removed remove the caliper remove the 3 bolts holding the bearing assy in remove the bearing assy pull the axle out replace the u-joint then re assy in reverse order

pacesetter shorty headers
summit high flow exhaust
bored throttle body
456 gears
custom nerf bars

mods in the works heavy duty 46re tranny 413 wedge big block sct tunner paint and body work

ohio truck club member #8
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in