Check Engine Light - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 5 Old 06-08-2004, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
kervin22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Check Engine Light

Well last weekend I was driving around and all the sudden the light comes on. I drove it for a day then brought it to Autozone to get checked. They said the O2 Sensor in Bay 1 was slow in responding. The guy said it was the first one on the passenger side of the engine. I have not replaced it yet, and have been driving the truck around. The light suddenly went off on Monday. I am still getting crappy gas mileage though. Anyone know anything? Also what is the difference between the OBD reader at Autozone and the one the dealerships use. Because dealers are charging $80 to find out what is wrong and Autozone doesn't charge me anything. Also my brothers Jeep Grand Cherokee's light just came on yesterday so I am going to bring that up to Autozone today. Thanks for all the help.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-08-2004, 01:01 PM
bfdff04

I little trick is to turn your key on 3 times in a row.them your odomiter will flash a number or it will say done if there are no coads. If you need more help let me know and Ill give you detter instructions (its a trick us poormen use insted of a $300 scan tool)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-08-2004, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
kervin22

(Thread Starter)
Well I ran up to Autozone today and they hooked it up to the OBD reader and it came up with a small fuel leak. The guy said to make sure the gas cap was tight. So I took the cap off and put it back on and he erased the code. I think that was what was wrong with it because I drove it back home (15miles) and no light came on. If this wasn't the problem would the light come back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-08-2004, 02:31 PM
V8Girl

you know that happend to me the engine light but it goes off and on like its a short in my wire. but now it hasn't turned off, so I don't know but it drives great.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-14-2004, 07:27 PM
wh22366

The OBDII scan tool Autozone uses works fine. I bought the same unit and have used it successfully on a couple of rigs including my Ram. About the oxygen sensor code -- there are two sensors, one before and one after the cat. If the front sensor must be changed, know that the aftermarket unit (Bosch, others) may not have a long enough pigtail to reach the truck harness connector. A replacement from your local Dodge dealer fits and is actually cheaper.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in