88 D250 PS and auto trans questions - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 5 Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
want2b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
88 D250 PS and auto trans questions

I'm looking at a high mileage truck. The power steering hasn't worked in over a year. They say they haven't looked into getting it fixed. Said they were adding fluid until it wouldn't hold any anymore. The outside hose was disconnected. They said they did not know this. Is it possible the hose was not tight when the engine was replaced and over time started leaking and finally came completely undone? What are the chances of it working after hooking up the hose and putting in fluid? Or replacing the pump? What else can go wrong with power steering? Also when starting off the transmission slipped then grabbed. The owner said it hasn't been doing that. Went 100 yards stopped and it did it again when pulling onto the highway. Went a half mile stopped and it did it again when turning onto another road. Drove for about 5 miles and turned around. When I started off this time it seemed to do just fine. The 318 motor was supposed to have been replaced about 100,000 miles ago. Said they had about 300,000 on the first engine.

I need a cheep truck, but need the power steering, and won't have funds for transmission repair. Please let me know what I should know. Thank you.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM
B-300
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes

The transmission problem could be as simple as a clogged filter or low fluid level.
The power steering pump is probably toast if it was run without fluid. (It's not at all likely the hose lossened on it's own as fluid would be all over the place) If the steering box hasn't been damaged a new pump and fluid may fix it... (Keep in mind that a disconnected hose will allow dirt into the system.)

Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300
post #3 of 5 Old 03-24-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
want2b

(Thread Starter)
The transmission fluid (checked with engine off after the short trip) was on the top mark.

It seemed to steer all right. An arm full at low speed. Would steering box trouble show up or be noticeable while driving? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
B-300
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes

Powersteering problems won't be apparent till the system is connected and filled with fluid and belt is on the pump.... this is when leaks both external and internal (the box itself) can be diagnosed.

Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300
post #5 of 5 Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
RAM85

You have to check the trans fluid level with the engine running and in neutral. From what I understand the converter will fill up with fluid while running in neutral and that is when you check to see the exact level in trans.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in