This is going to cost me$$$$$ - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 15 Old 03-19-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
hamish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
This is going to cost me$$$$$

I hope someone can verify this or help me to diagnose my tranny issue I have a 1999 2500 4X4 5.9L V8 with I believe 46re????1st of can a 47re be swapped in with limited difficulty?or is it not compatable?So my truck was making a ticking noise after I crested a hill and it took a few seconds to engage a higher gear?I assume it's a higher gear.I would turn the od switch off to climb the hills and reengage at the top and then the ticking and the delay.It is also making a metallic ringing/spitting noise (if that makes any sense) under the load of the hills and higher rpms.It does these wonderful things whether or not the od switch is on. If I accelerate hard and the rpms build it ticks/rings and has trouble engaging either gear or lockup? I don't know exactly whats going on in there and I know little of automatic transmissions.It still shifts firm everywhere else and the fluid doesn't smell burnt(anymore)I had it diagnosed after an incident in which I was driving at high speeds over many hills for an extended period of time.The truck suddenly felt like it dropped down a gear and the od off light came on.I could not reengage it and after backing off for awhile it returned to od.but shortly after it happened again.I stopped the truck and smelt the fluid--BURNING smell.I let it sit in the snow for an hour and limped it to a dealership.Their guy says 99.9% sure the torque convertor is going.I have been babying it since then almost 2 weeks still moving no change same symptoms. Anyone verify this and make any suggestions.My 408ci build is on hold for now.Transmission fix is neccessity.Please help
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM
rumblelobster

u sure that sound your hearing at high rpm or on hills isnt the engine pinging?

sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97' ram, 5.2L, extended cab, edlebrock exhaust, k&n CAI, hypertech power programer,HID head lights and fogs,5" top gun customz lift, soft 8's with 35x12.5x15 mickey thompson baja claws

4X4 club member #27
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 qcsb hemi, ported fox box under back seat with 2 jl w3's powered by an alpine pdx-12, 1 jl w3 12 mounted in the center seat powered by a 900 watt alpine pdx 5 channel (also powering the interiors) pioneer double din nav unit, diamond audio d6 components in the front door and alpine type s in the rear doors, hids,AEM brute force intake, mbrp cat back (duals straight back) dynatech long tubes 3" y pipe high flow cats, qtp electronic exhaust dump, 18" XD Addicts with 34" nitto trail grapplers, rough country leveling keys, that it for now
post #3 of 15 Old 03-22-2009, 03:12 PM
tactransman
Transmission Man!

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to tactransman
A 47RE will not swap,the belhousing shape is different.(47RE is V-10/Diesel only) It sounds like the transmission was getting hot so yes your converter is probably going out.

The "metallic ringing/spitting noise" sounds like spark knock so you might have multiple things going on. (clogged catalytic converter,bad plenum gasket etc.)

Terry aka tactransman
'99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 Automatic #110 in the White Truck Club

Aren't you tired of getting your parts for your Super Bee from a kid that thinks a Civic is a "hot rod"!
Mods:
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
Magna Flow Cat and "Y" pipe

46RE Built to the Hilt

Transgo TF OD JR Shift Kit (With Mods)
Billet Cover Converter
Upgraded to five direct clutch drum
Five Overdrive Brake Clutch pack
47RE STEEL front planetary
Sonnax Reverse servo parts
HD Kevlar Lined Rigid Int Band
Deep Pan w/cooling tubes
3.8 ratio Int lever
billet Int servo struts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
hamish

(Thread Starter)
Spark knock please explain??I took it to the dealership and while the mechanic was in the cab I could hear a knocking from drivers side cylinder. He removed plugs one by one and cyinder 3 started to knock badly with plug wire removed.I guess thats it. he says piston slap.I think I need a break.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-22-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
hamish

(Thread Starter)
We had gone for a test drive with the scan tool attached and 3 codes appeared 1 injector related another coil related and the third was a torque convertor code. the first 2 were my doing but please forgive me I have forgotten the code numbers. I had fully expected to rebuild this tranny after reading all the earlier threads posted in archives. But the #3 cylinder is a killer, any diagnosis? I guess if the pistons been slappin' the bottom end will need rebuilt!!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
rumblelobster

tactransman said what could cause the spark knock clogged cat, plenum gasket

sold!
97' ram, 5.2L, extended cab, edlebrock exhaust, k&n CAI, hypertech power programer,HID head lights and fogs,5" top gun customz lift, soft 8's with 35x12.5x15 mickey thompson baja claws

4X4 club member #27

2005 qcsb hemi, ported fox box under back seat with 2 jl w3's powered by an alpine pdx-12, 1 jl w3 12 mounted in the center seat powered by a 900 watt alpine pdx 5 channel (also powering the interiors) pioneer double din nav unit, diamond audio d6 components in the front door and alpine type s in the rear doors, hids,AEM brute force intake, mbrp cat back (duals straight back) dynatech long tubes 3" y pipe high flow cats, qtp electronic exhaust dump, 18" XD Addicts with 34" nitto trail grapplers, rough country leveling keys, that it for now
post #7 of 15 Old 03-23-2009, 03:58 PM
MeenGreen5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if the tranny is over heating, there is a checkvalve ball by the lower rad. hose. id check that out. i recently went on a long trip to az, the tranny would warm up too much and i would be forced to stop. Took that check ball out and it didnt do it the last time i went.

2010 dodge ram 5.7 sport
deep water blue pearl
BLUE
24"verde rims
stock

BLUE TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #249
Trucks and Guns member #164
post #8 of 15 Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
hamish

(Thread Starter)
I have taken it to 2 mechanics to verify the knock is pretty nasty.2 seperate delerships both confirm they believe it could be on the verge of terminal.I really wish it's just a case of spark knock but just standing beside it with the hood up and light throttle it sounds like a cold diesel in winter.I should have changed octane to a higher level to see if that helped but it's too late now.with the torque converter going and the piston knocking I've decided to ditch the dream of 408ci..............2009 hemi here i come!
post #9 of 15 Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
hamish

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all your wisdom and help I appreciate the time you all took to help.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-31-2009, 01:59 AM
ezstiles

here is the link to re-route your plug wires, I had this problem and it worked for me http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98.htm to elimate spark knock

1994, 1500 4x4, 318 motor, headers, intake, hughes plenum, holley 52mm throttle body, k&N 14" round air filter, 3" body, 3" suspension, 4.56 yukon gears, rear Detroit locker, 35" BFG MT, Centerline 15x8 wheels, Diamond plate rocker panels, bed caps, tail gate, tool box
post #11 of 15 Old 03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
PMickey
Mother Mopar

Does it really eliminate spark knock? ^^^^^^

Patrick

2001 Dodge Ram 1500, QC 4x4, 5.9 360, 3.92
Superchips 3865
Galls Street Thunder siren, Code 3 L.E.D. Warning Dash Light, (VFD POV)
AEM CAI
Accel 8mm plug wires w/ autolite 3923s
Hi-flow Cat w/ Glasspack
LineX bedliner
Viper Alarm w/Remote Start
Leveling Kit

post #12 of 15 Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 AM
charlie1935

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If the spark knock is caused by the wires not being routed properly causing induced voltage, yes. If caused by another reason, no.

Grouchy Old Man
Sport short bed
R&S Automotive cat back duals
SSBC slotted rotors
Tri wing tonneau cover
Ultra 50/51 16x10 wheels
265 70x16 Firestone Destination LE tires
3.55 rear
99-01 sport headlights with Silverstar bulbs
MSD coil
Fram Boost intake -Freebie. I won it
Edelbrock shocks
Yes, grandpas like toys too

87 D100 318 auto. stock

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #13 of 15 Old 03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
PMickey
Mother Mopar

Oh thats awesome, so I got a project for the weekend! Thanks

Patrick

2001 Dodge Ram 1500, QC 4x4, 5.9 360, 3.92
Superchips 3865
Galls Street Thunder siren, Code 3 L.E.D. Warning Dash Light, (VFD POV)
AEM CAI
Accel 8mm plug wires w/ autolite 3923s
Hi-flow Cat w/ Glasspack
LineX bedliner
Viper Alarm w/Remote Start
Leveling Kit

post #14 of 15 Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
cmns2500
Senór Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cmns2500 Send a message via Yahoo to cmns2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I have taken it to 2 mechanics to verify the knock is pretty nasty.2 seperate delerships both confirm they believe it could be on the verge of terminal.I really wish it's just a case of spark knock but just standing beside it with the hood up and light throttle it sounds like a cold diesel in winter.I should have changed octane to a higher level to see if that helped but it's too late now.with the torque converter going and the piston knocking I've decided to ditch the dream of 408ci..............2009 hemi here i come!
SO, where's the new rig?

CJ AKA Homie Mango

02 Taco
post #15 of 15 Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
hamish

(Thread Starter)
Will figure out how to post pics on days off.Miss old truck already it was a tank in the bush best offroad truck i've ever owned.Had so many plans for her, she would have been sweet. Never drove right on the highway though. Need the reliability of warrentied truck now have long distances to travel for school for many years to come.It still haunts me thinking if it was really as simple as spark plug wire rerouting or higher octane fix.Guess that's just the dream not letting go.Too many issues to deal with at once can't regret it.Now i'm whipped don't want to get the new on dirty!!!!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in