1996 Ram 2500 front rotor replacement - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 10 Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
cas66ragtop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1996 Ram 2500 front rotor replacement

Hi guys

I have replaced rotors before on other vehicles, but never on a Ram 2500 - so i need some advice. When brakes are applied, truck shudders a little, and the previous owner towed trailers a lot - so I assume rotors are warped from overheating.

When I checked the Auto Zone website, each rotor assembly would cost me $85. The picture shows the rotor itself, plus all 8 wheel studs - as a complete assembly. There was no further description of this assembly and what all is included. The only rotors I have ever had experience with are the type that slip off of the wheel studs - so I guess the 3/4 ton trucks are different.

So here is my real question................does using this assembly require me to also change the front wheel bearings? Or are the wheel bearings already packed into the new assembly? I can pop an old rotor off and put on a new one very easily - but once you throw wheel bearings into the mix, thats a different story. The repair shop I called on the phone gave me a quote of $450 to replace the front rotors (which I thought was a total rip-off) - guess maybe there is more to this job than I originally thought.

I would really appreciate any advice (as long as it is GOOD advice - haha) you can offer. Thanks for your help.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 PM
ChryslerTech

The wheel bearings aren't usually included with the rotors. The rotors are attached to the hubs by the wheels studs. You have to pound out all the studs to remove the rotor

'09 Quad Cab Monotone Laramie/Sport Conversion, Bushwacker Pocket Flares, ProComp 6 inch lift, RevTek 2 inch spacers, 3" Body Lift, 35x13.5x20, ProComp, 20x10 Rockstars, Predator, 4.56s -Traded in- ROTM Feb '11

'11 2500 Laramie, 8" BDS lift, 37x12.5x 20 BFG KM2s on 20" Eagle 079s, Predator, Bushwacker flares
post #3 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 AM
sully75

try advance you can get the whole thing for $80 part number 76452RGS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76452rgs-2.jpg (10.4 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 AM
LoudRam
Redneck Yankee

When was the last time the wheel bearings were done? It wouldn't hurt to repack them. It's not that hard. My friend and I just did the brakes on our church van. That was a Ram 3500. We put new rotors, pads, calipers, and repacked the bearings.

-Todd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Desert Storm Vet/ US Navy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab Debadged, 360 cubic inches of pure American muscle.
Performance Mods:Hypertech Power Programmer III, TB: Fins cut, ported and polished Intake: Ported and polished, runners cut down 5/8", 180 T-stat, Edelbrock Pro-Flo 1002, Magnaflow high flow cat and 3"SI/2.5"DO exhaust w/ 3" polished stainless tips, Plenum repaired w/ Hughes kit
Appearance Mods: Eagle wheels 16x8, 33" Toyo Open Country AT's (285/75), Diamond Back headlights w/Silverstar lamps, Aluminum billet grill, Lund moonvisor, Black tube step bars, Bulldog keyless entry, Westin ultimate bull bar w/2 Baja 55w off road lights w/HID lamps

We contribute nothing to our salvation except the sin from which we need to be redeemed. – William Temple (English diplomat & author)

Proud Member of the God Squad 1992

post #5 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM
sully75

well it would be kinda dum to take the bearings out and not repack them! Repacking the bearings is always done when you do the front brakes
post #6 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 PM
kidvillain

Do not listen to the previous responses......
The rotors on the 96 have the studs on the new ones...
You will have to remove the dust cap, remove cotter pin, and inner nut.......
Take out the outer bearing, set aside.....now, put the nut back on the spindle and let it act as your punch hammer..........now grab the rotor with both hands and pull it straight off........doing this will knock off the inner seal and the bearing and seal will be sitting there......now just take the nut back off.............repack bearings, maybe put in a new seal ($3.00) and put new rotor back on....................when you put the spindle nut on, only tighten to light snug and then back it off to find the hole for the cotter pin...........with the cap thingy in place.......replace dust cover and your done........the shudder you are probably feeling is a caliper either side that is binding up.....most likely on the inner............check your pad wear and whatever pad (inner or outer is worn more and you ahve your answer........
post #7 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 PM
sully75

right check advance and you can get the rotor just like in the picture above and also get the bearing seal for each rotor .
post #8 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 10:09 PM
V10 2500

I don't see it written if this is 2wd or 4wd. The 4x4 has unit bearing and non-serviceable you do replace whole thing, you will need a large socket and breaker bar, I think the socket is 1 3/8". If you have 2wd, follow previous advice. Good idea for you to get haynes or chilton manual for this and future.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-29-2007, 06:26 AM
kidvillain

4x4 is a different puppy for sure.............
post #10 of 10 Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
cas66ragtop

(Thread Starter)
Smile Thank You!!!

Thanks a lot for all the good advice you guys gave - it is greatly appreciated. I was real nervous about replacing wheel bearings - I had only done that once before (about 12 yrs ago) - I really didnt have much confidence I could do a good quality job of that - but SURPRISE! - it really wasnt all that bad.

Thanks again for the great advice and especially thanks to "Kidvillian". All of you guys helped very much, but kid took it a just a step further and went into a lot of great detail - he actually made things seem easier. I am NOT saying anything bad about any of the other comments whatsoever, so I hope I didnt just piss anyone off. I truly appreciate EVERYONE'S help.

Hope you guys have a great day. Happy holidays to everyone.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in