46RE - Junk on 4 wheels! - Page 4 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #61 of 67 Old 05-18-2003, 10:34 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxRamGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
99RAMMAN, I have the 3.55 rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 05-18-2003, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
RamRocker

(Thread Starter)
My company uses GM trucks, I think the new ones are junk. I'm sticking with Dodge.

Rusty - I can't argue with that. That's exactly why I came to Dodge. The past few years Chevy's junk has gotten worse. Never had tranny problems though. But the damned Vortecs developed intake gasket leaks....gessh.

But now I'm finding Dodge is no better with all these tranny headaches. Whatever happened to trucks that would give 150,000-200,000 miles of service with NO MAJOR FAILURES?

Three years ago I was sitting around with two buddies. We we arguing the finer points of why we thought which and what trucks were superior. I wwas defending Chevy at the time, and the other two guys were Ford and Dodge repsectively. My 22 year old college aged son walks in the room and monitors the heated debate. In a few moments he screams at the top of his lungs "They're ALL junk! They're are ALL overpriced and overrated!!! Junk!"

The three of us looked at each other and had to agree. Really none of this crap they sell for $30 and 40 grand is even close to being worth that. Boy...."from the mouths of babes"

RR
post #63 of 67 Old 10-05-2003, 12:14 AM
ELWAJIRO430

sad to hear thatramrocker but hey good things happen to the best of us dont worry i still beleive ram is as solid as its name ,anyhow i have an98,v6 regcab with a 42re tranny hooked up to it it blew at 48,000 does anybody know anything about these trannys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 Old 10-05-2003, 01:20 AM
manueljlg

10500 miles and my TC is going bad. It will get replaced next week under warranty. I have never towed or even brake torque.
post #65 of 67 Old 10-07-2003, 09:42 PM
realdeal6973

im on my third one too. ever since i took it to level 10, i havent had a problem with it. i guess it all depends on where you go. my dealer here in phiily, really fubared it up. never shifted right going into second after ''the fix''. now i have a protorque billet 2400 rpm stall converter in there, and a totally rebuilt internals.

ps: chirps second from time to time too. i love it now.
post #66 of 67 Old 02-20-2005, 01:05 AM
01Drift

One thing that comes to mind in reading this older post is the need for thorough cleaning. The cooler in the rad tank should be isolated and flushed, and the auxiliary cooler should simply be replaced (preferably with a stacked-plate design-type). And, most importantly, an inline auxiliary filter should be installed after the coolers, MAGNEFINE is the brand I have been using.

Dealers, indie shops, etc are often terrible at the small details that make the difference. One does have to search for and insist on them, and on quality workmanship.

In a family that has been towing heavy travel trailers since the early 1960's (cars, 440-500 cid V8s, gears from 2.93 to 3.23; not truck-based until late 1980's), the 727 was hands-down the best of the lot (even the Johnny-come-lately T400 and C6). Most lasted over 130k before overhaul, and few had auxiliary coolers. They were otherwise serviced annually. Trying to pull those trailers 97-8500#) behind 318's or 360's would have been laughable . . why put all that extra strain on the transmission was the thinking then. The engine torque easily set off the difference in fuel mileage.

Sorry to hear about the trouble of the 46RE (and I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the one in my new-to-me '01/318/Quadcab/3.55). I certainly plan to have some aftermarket pieces installed at upcoming service (as above), as well as a much deeper pan/pickup and fully synthetic fluid.

Whatever else, make sure of a thorough cleaning and an suxiliary filter. Have seen numerous, repeated failures when this is not paramount.
post #67 of 67 Old 02-20-2005, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
RamRocker

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE:

I haven't posted here in quite a while. You all know at 15,000 the valve body fried...(and I have babied this truck...never towed....I'm a 45 year old grandfather). At 78,000 the T.C. failed. $800.

At 112,000 the entire JUNK tranny failed. Replaced that (with a third party Blumethals trans) $2250 later I've now got 130,000 miles on the truck.

I'm sticking with it though. I actually like the truck other than the damned transmission problems. I totally agree with the posters above regarding the OPORPOS (over rated over priced piece of sh..) Chevys and their leaky intake gaskets. That's why I switched to Dodge to begin with.

I am now convinced, after 133,000 miles, the main problem with this truck is the 5.2 liter engine is too small for a full sized 4x4 truck. The transmission is working double over time...constantly shifting...to make of for the LACK of the 318. I shudda gotta 360! I'll never make that mistake again.

And if you don't already know it...I've had a tranny cooler on this truck since about 20,000.

In closing I would like to say as much as I still like this Ram...my 24 year old son summed it up quite profoundly when he over heard a bunch of us "old guys" arguing about who built the best full size truck....Chevy...Dodge...Ford...Toyota.

He interrupted in a loud voice saying "THEY'RE ALL JUNK!" I fear he is right. When you pay almost $30 grand ofr a vehicle you should get much much better service out of them than what most do.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in