excessive oil consumption - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 11 Old 12-04-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
jhammell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
excessive oil consumption

[FONT=Arial]undefined[/FONT]..... and I mean excessive. As much as four quarts per tankfull of fuel.

So it does not visibly smoke, does not leak to the ground, no water in oil/oil in water, passed inspection for pollution, and it just happened overnight.

At 4 qt per 20 gln, you would think smoke and fouled plugs and sensors, but nothing.

Only other oddity is it takes a while to fill with oil, it actually will overflow the valve cover if you try and fill too fast.

Any ideas folks??
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 PM
azkkn

sounds like the intake plenum gasket to me
post #3 of 11 Old 12-04-2005, 07:30 PM
97dodge20

have u had to add any coolant to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
azkkn

wait, did you say 4 quarts of oil to every twenty gallons of gas? either your dipstick isnt going in all the way, you are over filling it, or it isnt really using that much oil. it would have to leak, smoke, or have it in the coolant at that usage rate.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-05-2005, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
jhammell

(Thread Starter)
no coolant has been added, as far as the dipstick, oil pressure drops to nothing if I don't add the oil so it's using it. It doesn't smoke at idle or at start-up as with valve guides, I wonder if it only smokes at speed or under load but is disapated due to the air movement.

Would the intake plenum cause that much consumption overnight, it seemed to first happen during a hard road trip through the mountains??

thanks for the help folks
post #6 of 11 Old 12-05-2005, 06:12 PM
gramol

plenum gasket gives gradual oil loss( one pint/tank would be bad). oil PRESSURE loss is a different story. dodge engines have two problems, the plenum gasket is one. oil pickup screens clogging is another. if your problem is graduall mtsterious oil loss, go search plenum gasket. if you're experiencing sudden oil pressure loss yet oil level is good, search for that.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-05-2005, 09:05 PM
commish

[QUOTE]

Sounds like the oil drain holes in your heads are plugged
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2005, 09:58 PM
RumbleRam98

The intake pan gasket goes bad on the 318's and the 360's. But that much oil...that's excessive without a leak..check the back of your motor if you can..using a mirror on a pole or something. They start to gradually leak from the intake manifold gasket. Then BOOM, one day your pouring oil out. Take a look, might be that..if nothing else..go find yourself a good mechanic and see what he thinks.

1 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1 2005 Lincoln Aviator
1 2001 Dodge Durango
1 Dumb woman driving Aviator
=My avitar
Current Truck: 99' Ram 1500 4x4 Ext. Cab Short Bed 5.2L with 3 level kit
post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 PM
gramol

another thought. have you ever changed the pcv valve? i'm thinking clogged pcv and plenum leak. normally pcv flows so relatively low crankcase pressure. if stuck closed, pressure (oil vapour) will find it's way out. weakest link plenum gasket. gotta start there. take air hat off anf look down throttle bores with flashlight. i'm betting pools of oil sitting on the pan 6" down. let us know
post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-2005, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
jhammell

(Thread Starter)
I will change out the PCV valve in the am, your idea makes sense to me gramol. no pressure loss per se, just when oil runs down, explained that to discount wrong dipstick theory suggested earlier. if i let it get too low it loses pressure on an abrupt stop which is how I discovered the problem originally, never used a drop in the 6 mnths I had it then it all started.

commish, my thoughts exactly on the drains, but in fairness it is 30 degrees with 20w-50 oil, but I am curious.

rumbleram, thanks, I will look with a mirror if the pcv valve doesn't help, but seriously I see no evidence of oil spilling at all. parking on fresh snow or clean concrete, nothing.

again the weird thing is how it happened overnight and such massive consumption with no visable smoke, a gallon of oil is disappearing weekly

thanks s much for everone's help, i'll let you know.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-06-2005, 09:17 AM
dybeepvw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Drain all your 20-50w oil out and refill it with 10-30w and drive it for a day or 2 and check just to see if it makes any difference, and change the filter to.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in