1997 Ram 1500 Life span? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 14 Old 05-07-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
TexasRanchMedic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post 1997 Ram 1500 Life span?

I have a 97 Ram 1500 (318 engine) that has been a great truck but time and milage (155,000) is starting to take its toll. The transmition is just starting to leak near the pump and I am sure the computer systems will start to give me problems. At what time should I start to look for a new truck to replace mine?
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Dodge3

my cousin's engine lost compression and had problems with it too but he just got a rebuilt engine new transmission and so far loves it
post #3 of 14 Old 05-07-2005, 11:39 PM
BVRmonger

For me personally. If I have had a vehicle for 10 years then I feel that I have gotten my money's worth out of it. That could vary alot depending on the vehicle and how well it's been taken care of. There isn't as much wear in todays engines as years ago.
To be practical it's hard to justify spending $35,000 just to avoid spending a couple of grand on a tranny. But if you did the new tranny and 6 months later your rear axle needs to be rebuilt. And next year maybe it's the engine or a an electrical problem that the dealer has looked at several times and can't seem to correct. Then you're in that area where you could go either way.
Alot of people make an emotional choice and then justify it later. A $35,000 vehicle that, over a few years, depreciates like a rock is not path to building wealth. For me after 10 yrs I'm just tired of looking at the same vehicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Davcruz
I disgaree...:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVRmonger
For me after 10 yrs I'm just tired of looking at the same vehicle
Ain't that the truth!!!

David
2001.5 - 2500 HD CTD 4x4 Sport SLT Quad Cab
Fabtech 5.5 Long Arm Performance lift
Toyo Open Country M/T 315/75-16's
AFE Stage II Intake
BD XMonitor pyro, trans, boost digital pillar gauge
Westach fuel pressure gauge
Edge Comp w/wire tap
Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
Airdog FP100 and big line kit
post #5 of 14 Old 05-08-2005, 07:51 AM
hemi_dakota94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVRmonger
Alot of people make an emotional choice and then justify it later. A $35,000 vehicle that, over a few years, depreciates like a rock is not path to building wealth. For me after 10 yrs I'm just tired of looking at the same vehicle
Ye speak the royal truth!!! I have about $3,000 in my 94 Dakota so far, that includes purchase price, repairs, light mods, and new wheels and tires. I have no payment. My insurance is cheaper. If I didn't have other financial obligations, I would have alot of money to play around with mods and such. And my truck still looks great and turns heads. As for owning a new vehicle, we have a newer vehicle for my wife. She will always have a new or near new vehicle. I'm not talking about a $35,000 vehicle either. We paid 10k for our lease-returned Intrigue, GM certified. 32,000 miles, and we knew the elderly couple that had it before us. We're now looking at a couple dealer demo'd Pacificas (sticker $32k, priced at $19k with 7000 miles). The vehicles we have may not be the exact color we want, and may lack an option or two that we really wanted, but they're always very reliable vehicles that we end up with (luck of the draw, possibly) and we let someone else take the hit on depriciation. The only way we can afford a new vehicle is to finance it beyond 5 years. And that isn't going to happen.

But yes, I can agree that the same vehicle gets boring over the years, so I say look for another cheap one. No one says you have to buy a brand new one to get a different vehicle. keep your eyes open there are plenty of well cared for well maintained used trucks out there. Holy crap i wrote too much....
post #6 of 14 Old 05-08-2005, 10:17 AM
abe

When you can afford it!!
abe
Seriously, if you don't mind working on your vehicles it's a lot cheaper to keep what you've got and fix it as things go wrong. Besides, who's to say that new vehicles don't break down too?
post #7 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 12:41 PM
MSCH2112
Bushwacker!

Send a message via Yahoo to MSCH2112
alot cheaper to fix things than take on paments, higher insurance, and higher registration costs.

mike

2012 Power Wagon LARAMIE Pkg. w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

High-Lift Jack w/ lots of tow ropes and winch tools
2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition!
SOLD 2005 Power Wagon Quad w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 11:47 AM
TXOldDodge

Well, my '96 1500 has over 194,000 miles on it and will probably have many more. The engine was rebuilt 30k miles ago, but I'm still running on the original transmission and PCM. I will admit that I have replaced a few normal wear parts here and there, but I'm still happy with it.

If you do normal maintenance and use quality parts when doing repairs there is no reason your truck shouldn't last many more miles.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 12:16 PM
DodgeThis97

I've got a '97 1500 Sport with about 85,000 on it. Very well maintained. Of course there are those parts that are not maintainable and break and need replaced. All of the other replies state the same I would. As soon as you drive a new or newer car off the lot the cost of the car has dropped already. I say keep it and fix it when it needs it.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-16-2005, 07:46 AM
01SLT2500

I buy both new and used. It all depends on what you want/need.

The 05 Honda Odyssey has a lot of features never available to a van prior to 04. We tried to get an 04, but they wanted as much as new...so

For the truck, it is the 3rd vehicle that will only get about 7k miles a year so I went used.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-18-2005, 10:32 AM
anderc1

My 96 1500 4 X 4 (purchased new) has 191K miles on it, paint is shot, squeaks and rattles a bit (just like me) but each morning when I turn the key it starts and away we go. Wife's on my butt to get a new one, but I'm thinking about just rebuilding the drivetrain, getting a new paint job, and maybe new springs and shocks. Price tag comes in about a third of the cost of a new one. New Mega Cab coming out is tempting, but the Mega price tag is not. If I had to part with it, I'd probably look for used rather than buy new.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-03-2005, 01:44 PM
roboden

yeh.....

When I get to the 'required' rebuild though, I do beleive I'll be looking for the Paxton Kit I should have put on the V10 when I bought the truck in '95.....I may even buy one and put it on a shelf in the basement now, just to have it around when the time comes.....

Seriously, I've had mine for over 10 years now and 135k miles - and it still sucks in the BMW's around here when they're not looking. I put in the key twice every day, in dead of winter at 10 below and middle of summer at 100 above and it works every time. It may groan once and a while when I abuse it, but I do take care of it - better than most probabaly. I do beleive my only complaint is the head liner is starting to droop just a little in the back right corner....

Best of all, I own it. I do really want to build it up as sleeper... That will probabally happen after all three girls are done with college....As I have said many times before this is without a doubt the best truck I have ever had.

Rob
post #13 of 14 Old 06-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Dodge318

My 95 Ram ( CC 318 auto 4x4) now has 244,000 (I bought it new). I have done very little besides oil changes and Brakes to this truck. Really the only thing it's had replaced is the Cataylic Converter (3 times). It still looks good and runs really well. I drive about 125 miles a day. The only issue I have right now is rusty rocker panels I be sanding and painting them this weekend. Dang Minnesota winters.

I think I'll make the big 300 with this truck.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-08-2005, 10:49 PM
gray bear

I will never tire of my 95 Ram. The reason for this is, it is my on-going project vehicle. It continues to change internally and externally, so I never tire of looking at it or driving it. There are so many things you can do to change one up that I don't think you can ever get finished, at least I won't. I use the money I save on payments to continually upgrade. Besides, how could I trade off something I have put so much time and money into? I've grown attached to it.

BAD A$$ BOYS DRIVE BAD A$$ TOYS

95 Dodge Ext Cab Med. Garnet Red Pearl Paint over Black

Mechanical Mods:
426 Stroker Motor
360 Bored .030
K1 Forged 4.180” Stroker Crank 1.988 journals (NASCAR size)
Hughes Support Girdle for Mains
K1 Forged Rods Full Floating 0.912 pin diam.
KB Forged Step Dish Design Pistons approx 10.1 compression
Hughes Cam; Lift: int.520/exh.544, duration @.050 int 222 exh 228
Hughes Ported 2.02/1.620 Heads W/HD Valve Springs
Hughes 1.6 Roller Rockers
Rhoads Vmax Lifters
2500 Stall Torque Converter
Stainless Steel Headers
M1 intake
Fastman 53mm t-body
Mopar Magnum valve covers
Mopar HP Computer
Vacuum Pump & canister for power brakes (from old Caddy)
True 2.5”duals with 5” x-pipe fake cats and flowmasters
4.56 gears
180 deg stat
External Mods:
Functional Ram Air Hood
Billet Aluminum Grille
Fiberglass Bed Cover
17x9.5in. Boyd’s Wheels W/285/60/17 rears 255/60/17 front.
Lowered back 2” to level truck
Front Bumper Cover
Custom Tail Lights
Other Mods:
Pioneer Cd Player
Sony amp
2 10” Alpine speakers under back seat in custom box.
Future Mods:
Stand alone computer system or good Piggy back system
Other Cars:
2005 Atlantic Blue Durango Hemi Loaded
1987 RamCharger 360 4X4 Rebuilt motor with
Holley Pro Jection, headers and some other mods.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in