94 5.2L Running 230deg - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
chevyracer8282

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
94 5.2L Running 230deg

What would cause a 318 in a 94 1500 to run about 230deg constantly? I have just finished rebuilding the transmission and got ready to reinstall it and found out that one of the freeze plugs were leaking so when I removed both of them I found that the driver side of the block had a fair amount of rust in it and I raked out what I could get which was about enough to fill a 1/4 measuring cup with. I'm thinking that with it running that constant hot temp that there's got to be a restriction in it somewhere, probably due to the rust. Also the heater is not getting no where near as hot as it should be especialy with the water temp that high Especialy since the water pump, thermostat, radiator, radiator cap and hoses are relativly new (most replaced less than a year ago except the thermostat just replaced it today) I just got finished running some prestone radiator flush through it, and getting ready to go flush it out. What would be the best way to try to remove the rust from the system? I noticed on the bottom of the block that there are 2 plugs going into the water passages on the front of the 2 forward freeze plugs on the side of the block. Can I remove one of these plugs and run the water hose in the radiator while the engines running to get out the rust or what? What's the best way to flush the system?
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 05:52 PM
pepsi71ocean
Much too young to focus,

Send a message via AIM to pepsi71ocean Send a message via MSN to pepsi71ocean
is this engine temp?

Make sure the thermostat is working properly, and the fact you have very little heat coming out could mean your heater core is clogged. i would say since you have rust this mens your rusting out, so i would say that there are clogs somewhere in the block that would cause that, either in the radiator the heater core the lines or the block.

99 3500 Auto 3.55 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 60hp sticks, FASS 95 2spd Rear disconnect HIGH Idle BOMB Silencer ring delete 4" exhaust, SMARTY 08 3500 Auto 4.10, PTO Idle Big Thanks to Walt(FTE Diesel) JKidd(DAP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
They ROCK!
post #3 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
chevyracer8282

(Thread Starter)
yes it is engine temp, i bought a brand new elec gauge from oriellys and it reads 230 deg. I'm thinking the same that somethings blocked or restricted, and thats why i'm wanting to know whats the best way to flush the entire system to get out as much of this as i can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 06:26 PM
pepsi71ocean
Much too young to focus,

Send a message via AIM to pepsi71ocean Send a message via MSN to pepsi71ocean
did you make sure that the engine is indeed overheating? i would say run a hose through the intake ont he engine and run water through it and see how much rust comes out.

Alternatively you could give it a acid bath. and then rebuild it.

99 3500 Auto 3.55 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 60hp sticks, FASS 95 2spd Rear disconnect HIGH Idle BOMB Silencer ring delete 4" exhaust, SMARTY 08 3500 Auto 4.10, PTO Idle Big Thanks to Walt(FTE Diesel) JKidd(DAP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
They ROCK!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 06:38 PM
dodgensince74

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
flush it out with the garden hose real good, you should remove your t-stat that way you can flush it both directions, make sure you flush your heater core also. If you have replaced your freeze plug you might be able to flush out more of that rust from the block.

01 1500 5.9, Q/C, L/B, 4X4
Tanue cover
Super chips
Magnaflow S/i-D/o
K&N cai
Eagle alloy 102's
BFG LT285/75r16 A/T's
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2009, 08:23 PM
spun360

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
dont run cold water through a hot engine. there are cast alu parts that may shatter. prestone flush realy isnt that good. try a different type. the block drains are a good idea one on either side. save the glycol to recycle and fill w/ all fresh 50/50. i find a 180 stat a good idea for the low end. as for the high end after a flush there isnt much more you can do. one row rads just dont recover fast enough for a working truck.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
spun360

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
today 7/8/09 was the fist day this year my clutch fan engadged. it was 86 degrees out- hotter over black top- big dif in cooling capabilities and louder fan! 205-210 engadges.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 AM
turbinemech

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is the thermostat installed correctly? Make sure your fan clutch is working. Is the upper radiator hose hot or cold?

I agree, your heater core is probably plugged. You can check the hoses going in and out of it. They should both feel hot. If one is cold, the core is plugged. If both are hot, check the temp door on the heater box under the dash. Cable or door may be broken.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in