Closed Thread

post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2005, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
RAM345

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brake light

Hey guys I have a 2001 ram, and recently my passenger side brake light went out. I replaced the bulb with a new one but didn't check to see if it worked, just assuming that it was a new bulb, it would work. Well come to find out, the new one doesn't work either. The light goes on with my headlights, but when I hit the brake, it doen't get any brighter. I replaced it again, and had someone hit the brake while watching the bulb. It looks as if the bulb sort of flickers a little bit when hitting the brake, but doesn't get any brighter. Do any of you guys have an idea what is wrong? Thanks.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2005, 05:12 PM
dodgensince74

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
try to check the wires going to it, they might have come loose at the connections under your truck
post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Magnum5.9
Hemi Nation

RE: Brake Light

I had the same thing happen in my '99 Ram, only on the drivers side. Driving lights worked but no brake lights. The socket itself was bad and I had to get a whole new wiring harness ($120+ with installation). You may want to try to find just the socket at a junkyard and splice it onto the existing cable to see if that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-04-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
RAM345

(Thread Starter)
Yea that is what my step-dad thought it may be. I think I will wait awhile, it's snowing right now, and go to a junk yard like you said or try to find one cheaper elsewhere. Hopefully that will fix it, thanks.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
RAM345

(Thread Starter)
I don't think any of the wires are unconnected, because the light goes on with my headlights, it just doesn't get brighter when I hit the brake.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2005, 12:49 PM
QCRam

Does the turn indicator work on that side? It's the same filament, and if so, the wiring to the socket's OK and the problem goes to the changeover contact in the turn switch that disconnects the brake feed when the turn indicator's are activated. Likewise the hazard switch.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2005, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
RAM345

(Thread Starter)
No actually my turn signal nor my hazards flash on that side, so do you still think it is the socket then?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in