DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 2001 2WD, no drive after rebuilt

2K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  eeones300i 
#1 ·
Finally I finished rebuilt my 46RE tranny after having problem with OD planet gear. I learned a lot from this forum to assists me during rebuilt..thanks to all of you... :gr_patrio
But another problem come up. I have no drive in D, 2, and 1 but R is ok..
The tranny doesn't give any reactions when in D, 2, and 1.
I want to pull down the tranny again but I don't have any idea what to look for.
Can someone tell me what is wrong with it?
Btw, I replaced all the seal, clutchs, OD selenoid, governor, pump, OD planet gear, accumulator and TC... :banghead:

#2 ·
The rear clutch is most likely were the problem is, since it engages in all forward gears, and not reverse. It's called the forward clutch by some even though it's not in the front of the transmission.
Did you disassembly the valve body? If a part is installed in the wrong place (Or left out, like a check ball.) it could also cause problems.

#3 ·
Make sure that all three of these sealing rings are intact.
The middle one (small) and the bottom one (large) in the pic are forward apply oil.

#4 ·
Thanks for replies,
I'm pretty much sure that I installed the three sealing ring correctly because I remember I broke the old one when I replace it.
Well, this morning I measured the accumulator's pressure and I found out that the pressure only 48 psi (it supposed to be between 54-60 psi) on D position...correct me if I'm wrong.
I opened VB to make sure everything was correctly installed and adjust the line pressure but I cannot make it reach the range (slightly above 50 psi) since I'm running out of space on the spring seat.
Btw, I installed TFOD-Jr Shift kit but I only use the TB and doubled the spring on OD piston with the old PR spring. Right now I use the outer PR spring from the shift kit without any shim.
Is it possible there are leaks on VB? or should I double the PR spring to reach the pressure range?
Last thing, I also replaced the accumulator's piston with the aluminum type.

#5 ·
6 to 8 PSI pressure variance is not your problem. You have a NO engagement,not a SLOW engagement.

If you didn't do the double spring,shim
and spring seat like in the instructions,you should have. It guarantees converter charge.(But that is not your problem)

You should do EVERY step in the instructions.

You need to do an air check with the VB off.

#7 ·
You can't put the thick ones (directs) in the forward clutch,they won't fit.(unless you left some out,there should be four)

#9 ·
Forward (rear) Clutch

Direct Clutch (front)

#11 ·
The pressure plate goes against the piston side and applies the pressure action made to the clutch pack. It can be flat or specially shaped.

The reaction plate goes on top and reacts "holds" the pressure made. It is usually flat.

Don't get to hung up on the names because most people just call 'em "top" and "bottom". :D

#12 ·
I just noticed you are in St. Ann , Mo. :rck:

#13 ·
Yup...I live near your place...I hope I have a chance to visit you someday..
I pull down the tranny and I found two things. First, I found a little peace of metal (7 mm x 2 mm) inside the junction between input shaft and intermediate shaft. I really don't know where it came from and how come it stuck in that area.
I also found out that that the contact points between the piston and the piston spring was not even. Two parts of piston spring touch the piston which has a hole but the others still hanging so I rotate the piston to make the piston spring can touch the piston at the same time.
I hope tomorrow the weather will be nice so I can try it...
If it still not working, I think the tranny need your touch tactransman.... :rck:
Again, I really appreciate your help tactransman...I'm sorry if my english makes you confuse because I came from the other side of the world.

#14 ·
Make sure you air check everything too.

#16 ·
Do you still have it apart?

Can you post some pics ?

#17 ·
unfortunately, I did the test after I installed the tranny....I'm sorry tactransman, I'm so stupid.... :banghead:
Now, I don't have time to deal with it. I spent all of my spring break for it.
I will try it again next weekend...next friday I will pull it down again and make sure everything before I install it.
Please stay assist me...
Btw, now I know the fluid's path from VB to piston...VB - Trannys' frame - Pump's frame - Input shaft - piston....correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyway, I'm still confuse about the leak because I replaced the seals, pump and also the accumulator's pressure is good....do you have any idea?

#18 ·
That's about it from me without actually seeing everything. ;)

#19 ·
Tactransman, finally I can make my truck move forward... :bman:
Thanks a million for your help Tactransman..... :gr_patrio

I did find the dummiest mistake I've ever made....I put the rear clutch piston in wrong direction.... :banghead:

Now I need your suggestions what should I do to make sure that my tranny is ready for highway test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.