Automatic transmission WHINE - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 2 Old 05-10-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Pepsiboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Automatic transmission WHINE

On the "New to ME" 2001 Ram 1500 5.9l Auto Laramie regular cab 2 wheel drive, the transmission whines very loud right after cold start. Whine gets louder in reverse, and never quite goes away even when warmed up. P.O. said that the trans filter and fluid were changed about 1,000 miles before I got it. Trans fluid on dip stick looks nice and pink with no burned or strange odor.

Is this normal, or should I change the fluid and filter again? While driving, all shift points are where they should be and they are smooth and firm, no slipping.

Yes, I am positive that the whine comes from the trans. I started it yesterday and crawled under it fight away and the whine IS comming from the trans, NOT from under the hood as in power steering pump.

Thanks, in advance for any and all help, tips, and advice.

Dave
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-15-2019, 06:14 AM
ironman1979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like it’s sucking air. Drop the pan and remove the filter. There is a ring that goes around the filter neck where it goes into the bottom of the trans and a lot of times the tech forgets to remove the old one stuck in the transmission and installs the new filter and it won’t seat right with both on it. What ever you do don’t drive it as the 454rfe trans is extremely touchy on lack of fluid and will burn your clutch packs fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in