DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM Air-Gap Vs. m-1 2bbl

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Buzzbass 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 ram1500 5.9l and would like to know if anybody has compared these intake manifolds on my motor. The reason I ask is because the RPM air- gap is much cheaper then the m-1 2bbl. But i don't know if it performs as well. (Need a lot of air, I plan for hp)

----------------------
K&N Fipk
MSD igniton
MSD 8.5 wires
eddlebrock headers
(ya it's not much but money dosnt grow on trees)

#2 ·
The airgaps are some of the best pieces on the market right now. Very nice design to keep the air nice and cool. I would go with the airgap, but I'm sure that you will hear otherwise from the M1 owners out there.

#4 ·
i went with the M-1 for two reasons, one its a mopar part, so IF my warranty cmpany notices that its different, then i can say, gee it has a mopar part# on it and i had no idea it was different, and two i didnt see an alternative, i was unaware that the airgap for the 5.0 had the bosses for the fuel injectors, or the brackets and spacers for the accessories. i like my M-1 but i also think that the edelbrock would be just as good.

#5 ·
Edelbrock is not for a fuel injected Ram. To make this manifold work you would have to weld in fuel injector bungs and risers for the rails, accessaries mounts, and an adapter for the throttle body. After doing all that you would have more money in that manifold than what an M-1(MPI) would ever cost you. You can fit the heads on your truck though.

#6 ·
azkkn said:
i went with the M-1 for two reasons, one its a mopar part, so IF my warranty cmpany notices that its different, then i can say, gee it has a mopar part# on it and i had no idea it was different, and two i didnt see an alternative, i was unaware that the airgap for the 5.0 had the bosses for the fuel injectors, or the brackets and spacers for the accessories. i like my M-1 but i also think that the edelbrock would be just as good.
Hey azkkn, do you have any pics of the rough country lift on your truck. And did you notice any gain or loss of power throughout the range of rpm when you installed your M-1?

#7 ·
Is the M-1 just for upper end horsepower, or is good down low?

#8 ·
Mope said:
Is the M-1 just for upper end horsepower, or is good down low?
rumors say that it's for high and mid range rpms. I picked up low end by going to it in my R/T. I didn't add a bigger TB until later. So I'm sure that the M-1 was the reason for the increased grunt. You can always put a turtle in the plenum to help, if you're worried about the low end loss. I used the large size turtle and it works great. I've got buddies that took out their turtles and said they noticed no difference, YMMV. So, I'd say the M-1 is a great choice to wake up any Magnum pushrod motor.

#9 ·
I am a little slow when it comes to the manifolds. What is the Turtle? If you don't mind could you brief me just a bit on the this? Thankyou

#10 ·
Mope said:
I am a little slow when it comes to the manifolds. What is the Turtle? If you don't mind could you brief me just a bit on the this? Thankyou
It's this little pyramid shaped piece of metal that sits on the plenum floor, inside the manifold. It help "direct the air" into the intake runners, resulting in more bottom end. You can get them socaldakota.com

#11 ·
Is this Turtle something for the M-1 only, or can it fit in the stock intake manifold? I presume that socaldakota is a good place to purchas an manifold as well?
Thanks

#12 ·
no, it's just for the M-1. And, yes. That is a good place to buy. tell Sam that Don from the R/T club sent you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.