DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Good deal on a '96?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Hieneken49 
#1 ·
Considering buying a 1996 5.9L Magnum V8 Ram Laramie SLT club cab; would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not this is a good deal at $7,000.

It has only 62,000 miles on it (was driven by a handicapped man, as evidenced by plates) and is spotless in the interior. Exterior has the minor wear you would expect from 60k miles. Drives well, tires appear to be brand new, as does the spare. Chrome front bumper, rear bumper, side mirrors and running boards. Power everything, including driver's seat.

This would be my first dodge truck; anything I should know about this particular model or dodges in general?

#2 ·
Sounds like a nice truck, and IMHO that is a good price for that truck, at least in my part of the world. You can expect to have a comfortable nice feeling ride, and plenty enough power to do what you need to do. The mileage is not as good as we would like, but with good driving habits, it isn't too bad. Read some of the posts under 2nd Gen Rams, to get an idea of what common problems these might develope, and you can also read about what kind of mods you can do to make your ride suit you better.
If you get it, be sure and post some pics, and ask any specific questions you want. We will try to help you with your new (to you) truck.

#3 ·
A couple weeks back, I stopped in at a GMC dealership, and looked at a used '04 Avalanche.... it's a long story...

Anyway, they appraised my '96 Ram with 116k - $2500. I walked.
I think KBB.com is a good start for determining value.

#5 ·
The 96 sounds like a good deal but try to go a few bucks lower with cash in hand. Three years ago I bougt a 97 Sport with 63k for 9000, the guy was asking 14. A bundle of Benjamines changes peoples perspective.

#6 ·
I would say is should be a good buy. If the guy is handly capped, chances are he hasn't beated it up much and at 62,000 miles on a 96 he hasn't driven it much exept to work and the grocery store.

In my opinion I'd go for it and see if you can't get him down a few bucks. Usually private sellers will bring it down, expecially if you have a wade of cash ready to part with. As Meierznutz said. I sold my nissan 240sx for more than what i paid for it but i took it down cause the buy paid cash immediatly and there was no BS to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.