Engine Tick During Cold Start - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 10-13-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
MScroggs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine Tick During Cold Start

I have an '09 with the 5.9L. Bought it new, and currently has only 63,000 miles on it. Over the past couple years, it has become a garage queen, but I still enjoy driving it a couple times a month or whenever my friends, family, or I need a truck. Only Mobile 1 5W20 since new, which I meticulously change every 9-10 months regardless of miles. Anyhow, over the past year it has developed a very noticeable engine tick during colds starts, which last approx. 5 seconds. This doesn't always occur during cols start, but seems most prevalent when truck has been sitting for a couple weeks without being started. The symptoms tell me this is temporary oil starvation to the top end. Should I be concerned with this affecting engine life or long term performance?
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 09:14 AM
jetjurnigan

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
without spending a boatload of time and/or money, try using a heavier weight oil, say 30 weight n see if the "ticking" goes away. If it's a mechanical tick, then many things can be the cause. Start simple n move to the complex is always a good notion when troubleshooting.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 12:14 AM
steveinglendale

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Seems like a really normal start up after sitting with that many miles on it and that rather low weight oil. All my cars and trucks with 60-240 k mi. do this same thing to various degrees even with 5-30 high end synthetic, which you might consider as it has miles and seems to be garaged, right? You're doing well by your truck - so, don't worry, be happy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 06:38 PM
stev
Seating for 12

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'll echo the 5W30 here as well. I tried the 5W20 only to get a slight squeal on the front bearing. Only had the 5W20 in the engine 1-day. Went and swapped the 5W30 back in. No more issues.

5W20 works well in the minivan, but not for a larger push rod engine setup. Glad this wasn't a 0W20 problem.

71 Duster 340, 74 T&C 440-Interceptor, 74 Duster /6 225, 76 Aspen /6 225, 79 Volare S/6 225, 81 Pacer I6 258, 88 Colt I4, 85 Caravan 2.6L, 94 Caravan 3.0L, 96 Caravan 3.3L, 00 Ram Van B1500 3.9L, 01 Ram Van B2500 5.2L, 05 Caravan SXT 3.8L, 03 Ram 2500 5.7L HEMI
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 07:48 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Changing oil weights will probably not resolve this. The simple answer is that oil is running out of a lifter causing a tick, it's harmless. The difference in running viscosity between 5W-20 and 5W-30 is minimal, at best. These guys who claim they can detect some major difference in how an engine works based on a change of one step in viscosity, well, what can I say, confirmation bias.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2019, 09:21 AM
jetjurnigan

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Guy, I never "confirmation biased" anything or claimed a surefire repair, I merely stated a troubleshooting method. I've done this stuff since the late '70's. The 1st thing I was taught by ol' time gear heads 40 years ago when troubleshooting problems, was to start simple...always. Step 1 in a simple to complex method. The only confirmation bias here is yours, or so it seems.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2019, 09:22 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
He's trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. If by chance he puts a different oil in there, and by chance, it happens not to drain out for whatever reason, he'll think he fixed a non-existent problem by using the wrong oil for the engine to eliminate 5 seconds of ticking. How is this possibly of benefit? This is how myths and fallacies get started. If the truck is supposed to use 5W-20, that's what should be used. He could always switch to conventional, it's a little stickier and doesn't drain back so fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in