07 pt cruiser.......trouble keeping engine running - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

Closed Thread

post #1 of 4 Old 05-29-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
circeseye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
07 pt cruiser.......trouble keeping engine running

been through the mill with this thing....
replaced entire fuel pump assembly
replaced cam sensor
replaced crank sensor
through out all this i have had no codes to go on.....no check engine light...nothing.
it has anew battery

it started by dieing randomly and wouldnt start back up. i determined the fuel pump was bad. replaced it and it ran perfectly for a week. then boom died. but would restart after a min or 2.
replaced cam sensor.....no change
replaced crank... started but died after a minute wouldnt restart.....exchanged it for another crank sensor thinking it was bad....same thing.
let sit for a couple days (got tired of dealing with it) went out and it started right up...stayed idling for about 5 minutes (idle seemed low thou). backed it up and moved it it to a different spot in driveway...reved it a couple times seemed good...idled for a min and died....wont start back up

so now im at the point where do i look now...like i said codes, no nothing as far as i can tell the wiring to the cam/ crank sensor is fine...im pulling my hair out now....ANY help will be greatly appreciated
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-04-2018, 05:50 PM
JamesI

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Did you replace the fuel filter?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-05-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
circeseye

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesI View Post
Did you replace the fuel filter?
the entire fuel pump assembly is a all in one unit.....that includes fuel pump, regulator, filter, silt filter

from what im seeing something (i have no clue what) is shutting down the power to the coil and fuel delivery. i checked the relays and they all seem fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-05-2018, 04:06 PM
JamesI

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by circeseye View Post
the entire fuel pump assembly is a all in one unit.....that includes fuel pump, regulator, filter, silt filter

from what im seeing something (i have no clue what) is shutting down the power to the coil and fuel delivery. i checked the relays and they all seem fine
Yeah, I thought it might be an all in one. Just too lazy to look it up before I replied. I have one other suggestion that I admit sounds dumb, but it actually worked for me under similar circumstances. I had the same problem on a 97 Maxima. I replaced the cam sensor with no luck, and there didn't appear to be a problem with the wiring. I probed the positive wire near the sensor with a test light and it lit up. For some reason, I still decided to run a wire from the positive terminal of the battery and splice into the positive wire near the sensor. When I did that, the car started and ran fine. I drove it for several days and determined that it was indeed fixed so I was going to make a permanent soldered connection. Before I did that, I removed the wire I had spliced in and tried to start the car without it just out of curiosity. To my surprise, it started and ran fine and was still running good when I sold the car two years later. Go figure. Probably won't work in your case, but it won't cost anything other than a little of your time.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in