5.7L Cylinder Head Upgrade - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
apegues

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up 5.7L Cylinder Head Upgrade

Just an FYI for those who donít already know. If you have an early model 5.7 with the weak dual spring heads(53021616BA- Ď06 Charger) like me, you can upgrade to the stronger single spring 2009 head(53021616DD), I got mine used off of eBay for $300 and did a Valve grind and seals BUT... (hereís the kicker) the Ď09 heads use LONGER PUSH RODS! Get the Ď09 push rods...$27.00 per side at the dealer. I committed the Mechanics Mortal Sin of just ASSUMING they were the same... Silly Me! Not a pleasant sound for any Mechanic! So... Those of you who donít already know...There Ya are!

P.S... Once the new P-Rods were in she purrs like a kitten!
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-10-2018, 11:35 PM
HemiLonestar
Red Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by apegues View Post
Just an FYI for those who donít already know. If you have an early model 5.7 with the weak dual spring heads(53021616BA- Ď06 Charger) like me, you can upgrade to the stronger single spring 2009 head(53021616DD), I got mine used off of eBay for $300 and did a Valve grind and seals BUT... (hereís the kicker) the Ď09 heads use LONGER PUSH RODS! Get the Ď09 push rods...$27.00 per side at the dealer. I committed the Mechanics Mortal Sin of just ASSUMING they were the same... Silly Me! Not a pleasant sound for any Mechanic! So... Those of you who donít already know...There Ya are!

P.S... Once the new P-Rods were in she purrs like a kitten!
That's cute LMAO

People have known about this since 2009, BUT....you left out quite a few things lol (which you may or may not realize), like:
1. Eagle (09+) heads have a smaller combustion chamber than the 03-08 head. If you bolted on an eagle head with a stock head gasket you just jumped your compression ratio from 9.6:1 to just shy of 12:1
2. As you discovered, longer valves that require longer pushrods. They also require different valve covers (hope you didn't reuse yours). 09+ 5.7 and 6.4 valve covers are different to provide clearance for those longer valves.
3. Exhaust port shape is different (03-08 is round, 09+5.7, 6.1 6.2 & 6.4 have D port), you have some pretty healthy port mismatch if you used your stock exhaust manifolds.
4. Intake port mismatch - intake ports are different as well
5. What did you do with your EGR? Eagle heads do not have a provision for EGR, which the earlier engines (with the exception of the 2003) all have

03 Hemi Ram, 05 Magnum R/T, 06 Charger R/T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-12-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
apegues

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking 5.7L Cylinder Head Upgrade

Hmmmm.... Well... Not ALL people know about this and as a retired Euro Car Mech of 42 years I didnít know, thatís why I posted it stating it is for those who DONT know NOT for folks like you who DO know and youíre right about the intake ports,the Ď09 Ports are larger but I had no mismatch issues. BUT.... the exhaust ports are the same....I checked. The head gasket is identical.... I got both and compared them. As far as the compression ratio, I have no idea what youíre talking about, I replaced #1 piston so I took compression readings after I got the push rod issue straightened out and they ranged from a low of 128psi to 134psi sorry but that is nowhere near what a 12:1 compression ratio reading would be. The valve covers are identical and have no issues with them and as far as the EGR is concerned... its the same, it all bolted up with no problems. Anyway thatís my experience with my ď06 Charger Daytona as far as other Dodge models go... I donít know, I still mainly play around with the European stuff so there ya are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-12-2018, 05:10 PM
HemiLonestar
Red Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hmmmm.... Well... Not ALL people know about this
Didn't say ALL people

Quote:
youíre right about the intake ports,the Ď09 Ports are larger but I had no mismatch issues. BUT.... the exhaust ports are the same....I checked
Now I just think you're a moron lol...this is why:

03-08 hemi head exhaust port

09+ 5.7. 6.1, 6.2, 6.4 exhaust port

Tell me how there's no difference again Mr Euro mechanic...?

Also:

Early combustion chamber

Later combustion chamber

Early valve cover

Later valve cover

Also 09 & later heads do not have EGR nor does the intake manifold have provision for it as that function was handled by the VVT. Here is a 2010 5.7 from a car; tell me where the EGR tube is? Oh, you can't because it's not there.

To summarize: you got replacement heads for an 04-08 hemi and are either mistaken, been lied to or a retard.

03 Hemi Ram, 05 Magnum R/T, 06 Charger R/T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in